You No Longer Need a Satellite Phone If You Have An iPhone 14 or Later

I have an iPhone13 so the satellite receiver won't work on my phone. I like to solo hunt so about 10 years ago I started caring a McMurdo personal locator beacon. The battery lasts about 4 years before the have be replaced. They are only good for one time then they have to be renewed.

I have an iPhone13 so the satellite receiver won't work on my phone. I like to solo hunt so about 10 years ago I started caring a McMurdo personal locator beacon. The battery lasts about 4 years before the have be replaced. They are only good for one time then they have to be renewed.
Did you actually try it, see #12.

Yeah, same thing for MY 13….location services are turned on as well. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5492.pngIMG_5491.png

I am about to replace my Inreach 2 with the G Messenger plus which adds image and voice recorded messages.
$499

I will be 79 years old in a few months and I still do plenty of solo backcountry adventures each year.

Anything I can do in equipment technology to reduce the anxiety of my wonderful 8th grade girlfriend is worth a lot more that the sale price to me.

Screenshot_20240927_075818_Amazon Business.jpg

I guess I am just cheap the McMurdo costs 255 on amazon and no subscription. The only thing you do is register it with NOA and last time I did it was free the own the SAR satellites.

IMO the inreach is about as finicky as the reviews on the IPhone satellite connectivity. In the end it works. Works great sometimes, less than desirable others. Sometimes messages don't go through for hours, are sent in different order of time stamps etc... but it works for communication with some patients. I don't see how any other programs (IPhone/Android) will be much better using the same satellites. Accept for maybe the costs or the starlink deal.