Yellowstone Vacation early June

Me and the wife was there in June 2004, we stayed in Jackson Hole the whole time and ventured to YSP each day, be prepared to see lots of wildlife and some idiots. The elk are everywhere, the black bears are just as numerous and I did spot one grizzly when we were there, but all bears we saw had Cubs. I personally would not go hiking without some type of backup, but it is illegal to carry what I wanted to carry. I couldn't believe the amount of bears we did see and 90% had Cubs. One week was not enough time to see all of the park, when we do go back we plan to stay closer to the park and longer than one week. The East entrance and exit takes you to Cody, outside the exit is Sheshone Park, very pretty drive, but outside of Sheshone it turns arrid to Cody. The Museum in Cody is awesome, we spent most of one morning going through the Museum, lots and lots of trophy animals in that museum. When we were there some of the park was off like limits due to the roads either blocked by snow or buckled from the freeze during Winter. It is very beautiful, just not enough time to see it all in one week, stay safe and enjoy.

Summer 2020 is going to be the best time ever to visit our national parks.
This may very well be. Used to be bus, after bus, after bus, after bus, of affluent asians EVERYWHERE. This year maybe not so much.
Grizz and cubs are very easy to see in the spring before the "schools out" growd get there. For the grizz, just look for the spot where 50 cars and a ranger are parked on the side of the road. Taking pictures of grizz is a HUGE pastime here. Retired folks from back east, with multi thousand dollar lenses, all trying to get that grizz pic that can be published. It is a like a carnival. All are festive and talkative. Any of them will offer to show you 1000 grizz pics on their iPhone, if you ask. And probably if you don't ask.
Lots of spring grizz between Norris Campground (great place) and Mammoth.
Big area NE of Fishing Bridge called Pelican Valley that is closed in spring cause it is where lots of grizz honeymoon in the spring.
Have fun. It is hard not to.
Campground just outside Mammoth SUX. Avoid it.

^^^just north fishing bridge was where a mountain man named Russell, and a pal were jumped by some blackfeet.

Barely escaped with arrows in his hip, and I think his knee.

They found their crew and made it all the way back to ft.Hall. Mostly walking. Which is basically Pocatello ID

For seeing grizzlies, we have seen most within 5 or 10 miles of Moran Junction south of Yellowstone. Seen a sow and two cubs up on Togwotee Pass also (east of Moran Junction). We had our wedding reception at the Hatchett Resort in the same area, it's about $200 a night now but has a nice restaurant and bar and is also out of town, which is a plus.

Jackson is going to have the best food, it's not cheap staying there. There are some reasonable priced places to eat that have good food yet. If you can still get reservations the American Alpine Club has a hostel type place called the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch. I think it was $32 a night for non-members last time I checked and you are staying in cabin/bunk rooms. There might be other people in there or not depending on how busy it is. You will need sleeping bags/pads and your own cooking gear. It's a pretty cool place, and you have all the good places to eat not far away. We have also stayed at Victor, ID in a (glamping tent) that my wife found, I think it was Moose Creek Lodge or something. It was pretty nice and cheaper than places closer to the parks and Victor has some good places to eat as well.

The drive to Cody from Yellowstone is pretty cool. Definitely should check Cody out some too. Should definitely drive up Beartooth Pass from Cody also, which does take you to Red Lodge MT and it's a cool little town.

Yellowstone is pretty cool, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was one of my favorite parts. Lamar Valley with good binos and a spotter would be cool, we did see wolves and bears when we were there. When we went through the north half two years ago it was super hot and we didn't see anything moving, just a couple bison in the shade along the road. June should be a pretty good month.

Im in NWMontana, tourist town. Our ski resort is closed,bars resturants,closed.Some of the lodges I think are closed or next to no staff. Id be checking online to see what is open.Are local paper had article on parks,where some recomended people get out.But some parks are overcrowded and already setting limits for spring break etc.Like Moab and others

My local paper they just closed until further notice.Id guess it would be back open by your time frame

While there try and get a hoot of a dad trying to get kids closer to the buf so he'll have a really good pic to show off when they get home. Don't laugh been there, seen that and more smart moves by the AMARTEST people in the cities.

if you hadn't seen, its completely closed until further notice-- I'm guessing 2-3 months minimum for these federal guidelines and closures--- it was almost 4 months in China before the curve started to go down-- we have only really seen the rise in the last 2 weeks ad we have already surpassed China's numbers---I feel it will be worse here than it was in China --hopefully I'm wrong

if you hadn't seen, its completely closed until further notice-- I'm guessing 2-3 months minimum for these federal guidelines and closures--- it was almost 4 months in China before the curve started to go down-- we have only really seen the rise in the last 2 weeks ad we have already surpassed China's numbers---I feel it will be worse here than it was in China --hopefully I'm wrong

Yes and it is now coming out that the death toll in china was way higher. Crematories have been running non stop, funeral urns are coming by thousands. 40K delivered one week in Wuhan to 7 morturaries. No surprise the Chinese are lying their *** off. we do not know where we are at on this thing yet.

PM and I can get you tons of info. My dad lives in West Yellowstone and is in the park 7 days a week. It's closed so far with no open date in sight.... once it opens he will know all the animal patterns. Everytime we go and visit him he gives me a time schedule and where to be. We have seen every animal Yellowstone has to offer. He is dead on. Hopefully they are open and he can get his business going.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.