Yellowstone Darwinism

Getting back to the question...
Darwin takes too long as a process and Tourons can mess things up for the rest of us. I think visiting a national park is a privilege so the NPS does not have to grant access.
Establish a schedule of fines and punishments that would cover such items as failing to stay on marked trails at hot springs and sensitive geological formations, grizz kill areas, calving grounds, nesting areas and so on. Failure to observe distance requirements with wildlife and other items as above would dictate specific levels of immediate consequences/punishment.
Anyone found to have knowingly, willingly or negligently violated park rules should/could have access privileges at all NPS locations removed on the spot for an appropriate amount of time without judicial process. Punishment needs to be immediate, fair, firm and consistent. The more we tolerate bad or disruptive behavior the more we will see it.

Tragically a 83 year woman gored Saturday by bison. Woman walked within feet of it and "defended" its space. Nobody knows why she got this close, truly sad.

So I'm all for stupid people getting what they deserved but there is key difference in that article from what you posted here.

“The bison was "defending its space" near the Storm Point Trail at Yellowstone Lake when it came within a few feet of the woman and lifted her about a foot of the ground with its horns, the National Park Service says in a Monday evening press release announcing the goring.”

Based on the wording it sounds like the bison walked up to her rather than the other way around. And it’s easy to see how it could happen, when my wife and I were there last year we came around a corner at one of the hot springs and there was a bison 23 yards off the trail and that was with me actively trying to avoid getting too close to them.

We were able to get passed uneventfully but by the time we left that hot spring it had crossed the wooden path only a couple yards from the blind corner. Had we walked that same path 20 minutes later we would have walked right into it.

Tragically a 83 year woman gored Saturday by bison. Woman walked within feet of it and "defended" its space. Nobody knows why she got this close, truly sad.

My God some people are so stupid it’s sad 😔

The bison was "defending its space" near the Storm Point Trail at Yellowstone Lake when it came within a few feet of the woman and lifted her about a foot of the ground with its horns, the National Park Service says in a Monday evening press release announcing the goring."
Yep, and depending upon circumstances, whoever was with this woman should have retreated. Maybe could, maybe couldn't but sounds like the party she was in let it walk up to them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My view is if people want to see animals without risk, go to the zoo. Half the thrill of going to YNP is the raw nature you can be a part of with the sense of some danger. Respect the animal's space and use your brain and most will be fine.
Absolutely agree!!
"Tourons" don't understand the nature of animals out in free space!

They go to a zoo once or twice and see animals in captivity and have no fear... then later in life get to go on a nice vacation to a national forest and just walk up to whatever they see for the photo op.

These idiots don't realize they are invading the space or nearing proximity of offspring of naturally roaming bison, elk, bear, deer, big cats or whatever other stock in the area.
They then blame and plead their case that the animal attacked them when all they wanted was a picture!!

If they want to experience livestock behavior...They should instead volunteer to work ONE day at a live working cattle ranch and get their asses run up a fence a few times before going out to open country!!

F'ING IDIOTS MULTIPLY IN INCREDIBLE NUMBERS!!!!

Hunting is needed to regulate animal species populations in national parks that are a bureau included in the U.S. Department of Interior.

That may not be the case in hunting to teach the bears to run. They can't after being killed.
Since we have to many Griz. bears. I think they need to be spead then around to other parts of this country. Like the Sierra's up and down that range of mountains. Starting in San Diego County and going to the Canada border. I think that the national parks should be the first to get the bears. That way the bears would be safe.
Other than that, maybe some shooter could place rifle shots extremely close to them. Placing dirt or rock chips at their rear end. That might get the effects wanted.

So not in YP but kids getting trampled by cow elk twice in last week in CO. Seems they were not far enough even at 60 yds!

Recent Posts