Wyoming Outfitter - Tyler Simms?

Chopaka81

Hi,

My father is wanting to take my son on a "guided" prairie dog shoot in Wyoming as a High School Graduation gift. It will be a Grandfather - Grandson road trip from W. Wa to SE Wy.

We are wondering if anyone has hunted with Tyler Sims and if you can give him a favorable recomendation? If you wish that I keep your responses private, I will honor your request. Please "PM" me with your thoughts.

Thanks for the bandwidth,

We just got back from our PD Shoot with Tyler Sims. We had a great time - amazing dog towns. I was able to gain passage by agreeing to ride back seat - it was worth the cramp(s). :D

My father shot his Rem M700 in 17 Rem, I shot a Rem M700VSLH in 223, and my son shot his M700 Varmint SPS in 223.

One thing that can not be controlled is the weather, SE Wyo has been getting a lot of rain this summer and this has effected Tyler's access to some of his larger dog towns (greater than 2 miles in length). As his lease agreements include language regarding not leaving ruts in the fields and roads.

We were fortunate to have bracketed the storm fronts. On the 1st day it rained, lots of mud and gumbo. We went to a dog town that had reasonable access and by 1pm the skies cleared up, the sun came out and before long we were shedding our jackets. We took about 200 dogs each out of that dog town on the 1st day.

The 2nd day greeted us with blue-bird weather - it was beautiful (note to self keep SPF 30 sun screen in the range bag). This day it was hard to put a number on how many PD's we took. It was easily over 300 ea. We did two set-ups that day had a great time.

The 3rd day picked up where day 2 left off - fast and fearious shooting, the only thing slowing us down was the temperature of our barrels. When the barrels got to hot we broke the cleaning kits, wet patched the barrels with some Shooters Choice, brushed, re-wet patched, brushed and then dry patched the barrels until they were clean.

Shots ranged from 25 yds to 500 yds. Tyler did report that he has a couple guys who come out from W. VA that only shoot +400 yds with 300 Win Mags. Tyler has no problem providing dog towns with that kind of opprotunity.

It was good training for my son who enlisted in the ARMY and is signed for Airborne Ranger training. (I should have made him shoot a iron sited AR-15). Once my son figured that his grandpa and dad were going back and forth snipping the dogs that the other missed, he jumped right into that foray and those young eyes began to kick the old eyed guy's butts. :D

If you have not been to the grass lands to shoot PD's - GO! If you are concerned about access as we were, go with a outfitter. Nothing worse than driving 2 days to get there and then being unable to gain access in my humble oppinion.

As for Tyler Sim's, he is a very capable young man that I can give an un-qualified positive recomendation and not to worry about being embarrassed later. His family has a 60,000 ac cattle ranch, and his neighbor's (who have ranches of similar size) have given exclusive access to their dog towns.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.