WSM Takeover

Well the deal when the short mags came out was you get magnum performance in a short action. But it turns out you can't really take advantage of it in a short action due to mag length issues. I do believe the short fat powder column is a plus. Just look at the ppc based cases like the dasher. More brass availability will probably see a few more guys going the custom route. But I think the wsm's had their moment and it's passed now. Remember it's the general public buying factory rifles and ammo that pays the bills. Us oddballs that reload and build what we want are the minority.

Back in 2000/2001, myself and a buddy were running several wildcats and rifles off the 300 WSM case, including new Winchester actions in both short and standard lengths, with the following calibres, 6mm, 25, 6.5, 27 & 33. We gave a 375 a go, but ballistics were woefully bad.
Of all, only the 25 and 6.5 got numerous orders, the others were few and far between. We were asked to do a 35 cal version and it is now known as the 35 Sambar wildcat. I only built one rifle on a short action Model 70 and it worked out very well.
The WSM case is a superior design to the PRC, but seeing it is not NEW and surrounded in hype, it's just another old round selling in the middle road without a lot of interest. I adored my 2, one 25 Pronghorn and the 6.5 version, but I have gone back to my 264WM and either 25-06 or 257 Bee…

Cheers.
What bullets and ballistics do you feel/know that didn't work for the 375 wsm? As I've been working on a 375 wsm for one on an Ar10 platform still have load data that gave good performance

I have a Browning A-bolt titanium in 7WSM. Brass is really hard to find. I've got 4-5 boxes of factory loads and a couple boxes of brass. Are any of them going to make 7WSM brass? I heard you can make it from 300WSM but not sure.

I can't believe Lapua did not announce a 7PRC brass release.
Same here. I was shocked they chose 6GT over 7PRC when you know they're selling tons of 6.5 and 300 PRC, and from what I see the 7PRC is just as popular as it's siblings. From what I've heard, Lapua doesn't currently have plans to make 7 PRC. Kind of silly if you ask me.

The 6.8 Western is very much a WSM cartridge. Us reloaders now have another option for 6.8 Western Brass. Easy to convert 300 WSM brass to 6.8 Western.
I find 7 SAUM easier to convert to 6.8W than 300 WSM. What method are you using with the 300 WSM -> 6.8 Western?

Same here. I was shocked they chose 6GT over 7PRC when you know they're selling tons of 6.5 and 300 PRC, and from what I see the 7PRC is just as popular as it's siblings. From what I've heard, Lapua doesn't currently have plans to make 7 PRC. Kind of silly if you ask me.
Headscratcher for sure!

I think sometimes we think the hunting demand is equivalent to the competition demand. 6gt has gained a lot of steam in the competition world and also starting to see lots of varmit/coyote hunters running the GT as well. Alpha is currently the only manufacturer and it never stays in stock. I know alpha is expanding the GT line as well with 25gt.