Wow, no one been to Alaska

LTLR , You speak of Alaska and it sounds just like my first hunt in Colorado. I know it may not compare but thats as close to Alaska as i've been . I would love to go there . Can you tell me what the cheapest hunt would cost me ? Not to sound like a tight wad but money is hard to come buy right now .

Thanks

BigBuck

Got an opportunity to go up there in 08 to guide for silvers on the Tsiu River, help out a little with the moose and bear hunts, and do a little duck hunting my pics looked very similar to Guy M's. Will definitely be goin back someday to do some hunting. Beautiful place, harsh weather.

Good point, got to dress for the weather.

Similar to Colorado but the country and the mountains are bigger with very few people. Do it yourself caribou is the cheapest. But with fuel costs what they are now ain't nothin cheap in Alaska. With airfare about $750 from the lower 48, fly in drop camp around $2500, tags $325 each, you get the idea. Colorado is a bargain considering that.

You and Mack have brought back some big animals from there and I appreciate all the invites!Only problem I would be low on the food chain and you haven't mentioned owning any "Brown" proof tents
or did I miss that!!!!!!!!!lol...

Hunt the mulchatna herd for caribou, it is a good heard, good country, affordable for the DIY, and you will see alot of animals on a daily routine. Id do a float hunt for the Moose, very relaxing way to hunt and very productive, plus you can usualy fish along the float. Alaska is awesome, I used to live there, I still work there but I miss her very much..

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but you might want to read this article before planning to hunt the Mulchatna herd:

Caribou in Trouble On Alaska Peninsula

I've hunted this herd many times in the past but don't bother nowadays. At one time the herd was totally awesome but these days it is pretty sad.

Well, well, well... dream distroyed. I would tell my wife how I would love to
hunt in Alaska and even maybe live there. I have let the time go by and now
after reading these posts and me being almost 55 y/o with a beautiful 350 lbs
body... well, bye, bye dream... :rolleyes:

Alaska is by no means for the faint of heart and you could easily get yourself in some serious trouble up there but I went on a DIY bear hunt there 2 years ago with two great friends one of them is was 400lbs when the trip was conceived and probabley 350lbs at time of the trip, but he worked up to the trip and had no issues at all. He started working for the trip about 9 months in advance since then I have seem him compete in a triathalon he is still 350lbs but does not let it slow him down.

I went sight seeing there a few years ago. This year I'm hunting bear with my father and nephew. We'll be on Prince of Wales. My father has talked of doing this for years, but money was too tight. I'm going mostly to try to look out for them. Dad is 74 years old, but a tough old guy. I'm taking my 300 RUM sendero, with NXS 5.5x22x56. Plan to use 200 grain partions. I just recieved my 338 EDGE. If I can get it set up this week, I may take it. What are your thoughts on using the 300 RUM with 200 grn partions. Loki

Should be no problem with a 300 RUM and a 200gr Nosler partition. Still need to place your bullet well no matter what you shoot. I hunt Alaska's interior Grizzlies and I use 180gr Nosler partitions in my 30-06.

I've been in Alaska since '66 and I haven't missed a moose hunt since '75. My kids have grown up eating moose and caribou. Last year our youngest daughter shot her first moose.

While it is true that Alaska is a great place to hunt, that doesn't mean that there are animals everywhere. Knowing where to go, having the ability to get there and the skill level to hunt the species you're going after are necessary to be consistently sucessful.

Gus
Youngest daughters first moose.
1271399547_img_0248.jpg

I've lived in Alaska for over 40 years. As for what gun to use, my go to gun for everyday use is an H&R single shot in 30-06. I've killed Caribou, Moose, Black Bear, and Grizzly, with it. One shot kills on everything I have shot with it except wolves. Have had to make a follow-up shot a few times on them, since they were running when I shot and did not make the best hits.

Shot a Grizzly last year with my .338/378 Weatherby. First shot was through both lungs, but did not know that from 620 yards away. Second shot hit the spine as Grizzly ran away, broke the spine. Again did not know that at the time due to distance. Grizzly rolled behind a bush. All I could see was the a bear standing on it's front legs looking around. so I put a third shot in the neck, killing it instantly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.