Wow, no one been to Alaska

alaska200709012.jpg

Been there once, can not wait to go back......

Been here for 31 years. If you like hunting, fishing and the outdoors, there's a lot of public land available to hunt on. For the most part, hunting isn't convenient, low exertion, local after-work-hours type of hunting. Getting to some of the better hunting territory for certain game animals can mean a 7-day or longer committment of time, and reliance on air taxi services and unpredictable weather conditions to travel to and back from the hunting grounds. Air charters aren't very cheap nowadays due to increased fuel and insurance costs.

It's not like hunting pheasants, rabbits, or deer on the back 40-acres behind your house.

I consider Alaska to be somewhat of a young man's hunting land because the level of physical energy becomes telling and wears down an older body. Best to be young with a high level of stamina and physical endurance, or rich so you can hire a guide to help transport you to the game, and transport the game back out for you. Also, the weather can be harsher, and in prolonged stays in remote areas without the comforts of heated cabins or camps, harsh weather means the sacrifice of some creature comforts.

There are always exceptions to these rules of thumb, like you happen to know someone who lives in or near prime hunting habitat with a comfy place to hunt from, and they have the boat, ATVs, airplane, or other resources to ease transportation costs and effort. There are very few roads over the majority of Alaska, so just getting to the game, recovering it, and transporting it back to civilization can be quite a feat in itself.

But if you really like to hunt, you'll gladly take all these hardships and/or costs in stride and have a really good time out in the wilds of Alaska.

My favorite Alaskan game to hunt by species are more or less along the lines of Dall sheep, bear (black and brown), caribou, black-tailed deer, moose, goat.

Moose used to rank higher, but after killing more than a dozen of them, I came to the feeling that I end up with way more meat than I need at this stage of life, and way more work transporting the animal and processing the meat than I care for. But moose are pretty impressive and fun if you've not hunted them before. They should rank up there as a high priority for those that haven't experienced moose hunting before. Expecially if you hunt them in the rut when the bulls can be called in close. Pretty exciting stuff.

Last edited:
Been there once and can't wait to go back. Did a DIY caribou hunt and had a great time and got a nice bull. In hindsight, it would have only been slightly more expensive with an outfitter and much more relaxing. Flying in with all our hunting/camping gear and then renting an SUV was a logistical challenge but very possible. If anyone wants to do this type of trip PM me for some helpfull insight.

It was very different from hunting whitetails in PA!

+1 to what Phorwoth said, it's a rugged place and takes it's toll on you. Dad and I came home a lot lighter than when we left. I was down to fighting weight but it was time for Dad to get some rest/food. I can see how us nonresidents can get in trouble quickly. Until you've seen it, you can't even imagine the scope of it all.

Gene

Cant wait well be there in 16 days countdown on . Coming for a caribou hunt doing the diy hunt . Have been hunting here in alberta sheep hunting . Iam thinking it should be the same kind of hunt . Lost 12 pounds last year sheep hunting in the mountains in 5 days and would do it all over again in a heart beat . Cant wait words cant explain it .

Lived here 38 years. Live to hunt. Retired and loving it. Leaving the 8th for a Caribou hunt, will be gone 7 days. Got a moose hunt planned for the 1st of September, again will be gone 7 days. I trap and call predators during the winter.

I get up to Alaska to fly fish the silver run every few years, not this year dang it! Have never hunted there. Did some backpacking up there too. Made my first trip in the 1970's when I was a young man. Great place. Amazing even... Here's a few photos from the fishing trip last year:

d6a000c0.jpg

536b86fa.jpg

43bd5647.jpg

f65ac863.jpg

Size 12 boot...
482d85c9.jpg

Alaska is a special place, well worth the expense and trouble of the trip. I'd love to hunt caribou up there someday.

Regards, Guy

I would love to hunt Alaska , largest mtn's I've ever seen is the colorado mtn's . Reading yaws post about it makes me feel like I've never been hunting . That's why I know I would really enjoy a hunt their.

PS if I ever go their on a fishing trip ,I'll have more than just a fishing pole on me:D

Bigbuck

Been there six times looking for a perfect Musk Ox, seen many but not the one i want. I will be going back in 2 years for another chance at Musk Ox hopefully this will be the time i finally get that perfect Musk Ox.

I've been up here 27 years and don't regret making the move. I shot a smaller moose this year (42" three brow tines), it's just the wife and me here now so I mostly look for smaller bulls. I really prefer spikes or forks but I've got some load development to get done before November so figured I might as well get it done. In November we are headed to Idaho for my annual whitetail/turkey hunt. People in Idaho give me strange looks when I tell them I came to Idaho, from Alaska to hunt. Ha, grass is always greener on the other side of the fence! :D

I'm from Idaho originally and just can't get whitetail out of my mind. I think it's a sickness!

I'm still a newby here, but am from the northland too. Parents live between a fish camp on Afognak, homestead on Alexander Creek, and Kauai in their spare time. I'm stuck in Los Anchorage raising my kids:cool:

Well, well, well... dream distroyed. I would tell my wife how I would love to
hunt in Alaska and even maybe live there. I have let the time go by and now
after reading these posts and me being almost 55 y/o with a beautiful 350 lbs
body... well, bye, bye dream... :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.