Wow, no one been to Alaska

Dont give up that easy... 55 is plenty young for alaska!

I agree. You could end up looking back in few years saying something like "Now it is really to late, I should have went when I was 55". Your fitness level MAY have a bearing on how many animals you harvest, but you can still have a VERY memorable time that you will talk about the rest of your life.

Yeah Eaglet, I'm in my 50s too. I just go out there and nurse my wounds, aches, and pains for a week or so after I get back. Then I go out and do it all over again. :D

Thank you all for trying to help!

Five years ago I went on an Elk hunt from Nevada to Idaho, I was hunting
with some brothers in the faith and I figure they'd be nice to their big brother
and... Boy they took me through the meanest terrain I had ever, ?, been at.
It was so steep I though I could use my teeth to hold on. Got to the point
that in my mind I prayed for every step using two big sticks to help me. Finally,
when we met some the other boys one of them kindly offer to carry my rifle,
I expressed my gratitude and told him a man is gotta be able to pack his own
rifle. That was a great experience. This was what hit my mind when you were
discribing Alaska. :)

What kinda rifle you got? (I mighta been willing to carry it too!) :D

with some brothers in the faith and I figure they'd be nice to their big brother
that in my mind I prayed for every step using two big sticks to help me. Finally,

Go hunting Jesus is coming back and it looks like very soon :):) .After all when we get to heaven we will have a new glorified body!
BIGBUCK

Last edited:
Chriso,

now that you mention it, it was a very good looking Reminton 700 LSS in
300 RUM, the laminated stock looked mighty good! :)

I have been there once,in spring 2008 for black bears on Prince of Wales. I fell in love with the place. I am headed back in May 2010 for another experince to put in the memory banks. Our hunts are DIY. I can't wait. Counting down the days!!!! I would like to someday hunt caribou,Moose,goats and sheep. Might as well dream big.

Last edited:
Hunt the mulchatna herd for caribou, it is a good heard, good country, affordable for the DIY, and you will see alot of animals on a daily routine. Id do a float hunt for the Moose, very relaxing way to hunt and very productive, plus you can usualy fish along the float. Alaska is awesome, I used to live there, I still work there but I miss her very much..

I got that in my bucket list alaska or canada caribou trip. What do you all think is 7mm rem mag big enough for grizz?

Yes, that's enough gun for hunting inland grizzlies. For coastal brown bears, which can be twice the size of inland grizzlies, I would recommend more caliber. I've shot both grizzlies and coastal brown bear with a 7mm Rem Mag. And I've shot large coastal brown bear with 338 RUM class cartridges. The 338 was notably more effective in disabling / dispatching the big boys.

There's a big difference between killing these unsuspecting bears from a distance versus stopping them when they're adrenaline charged and in-your-face. Bigger the better for the close quarters stuff. If you can place good hits from a solid shooting position from 100-200 yds away, the 7mm Rem Mag will certainly kill even the biggest of brown bear - using quality controlled expansion bullets. However, I will emphasize that these bears clearly absorbed and survived the 7mm impacts better than the 338s.

Thanks I just got a 7mm this year and found out how spendy them round are. So I starting to reload been reading up on the 7mm and 30 cal I got a .06 to. I have been rethinking the cal. wondering if I made the right choice. The way I see it from carbiou on down it is great bears I dont know.

Been hunting Alaska most every year for about 30 years. I recomend that every hunter treats himself to an Alaska hunt at least once. Then if you ever get there you will always figure a way to get back. Our last great wilderness and a pleasure to just be there in it and live it. If you take an animal that is just icing on the cake. I have no idea how many big caribou I have taken there but at least 50 with the largest with my bow going 456. Best year I took a 417 on the first morning and when I went back the next morning to get more meat a 421 walked by and I got him. The 338-378 was smoking on that hunt. Best moose were twin 72 inchers with about the same paddles. Same area about ten years apart. Looking forward again this year to more caribou, dall sheep and grizzly. I agree with Phorwath, most any popular cartridge does well there except for the big brownies I would get a big gun to break their shoulders down.

The only thing I have changed as I near 60 is my gun keeps getting lighter. Even then they still feel heavier every year. Unfortunately the big long range 338-378 hasn't made the trip for a couple years now because it just feels heavier every year I pick it up. I wonder if Tikka might come out with a T-3 ultralight for the old guys that still think there 30?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.