Would you shoot this deer?

Everyone who's said no...you're crazy. That's a once in a lifetime buck. I would have snuck my happy a__ with in 25 yards of him and used my .338 Lapua with the NF backed down to 4x and blasted him to make sure I didn't miss.

iu

lol. seriously though, blast that buck and take him straight to the taxidermist.

Could be a hormonal problem but younger bucks often shed/rub earlier than older mule deer (whitetails usually rub within the same week or two). It is normal to see both, especially when bachelor groups have not broken up yet. How recent is the photo?

Could be a hormonal problem but younger bucks often shed/rub earlier than older mule deer (whitetails usually rub within the same week or two). It is normal to see both, especially when bachelor groups have not broken up yet. How recent is the photo?
In 45 years in 7 states I don't ever recall seeing small bucks shed velvet before larger bucks but I'm sure it happens.

Everyone who's said no...you're crazy. That's a once in a lifetime buck. I would have snuck my happy a__ with in 25 yards of him and used my .338 Lapua with the NF backed down to 4x and blasted him to make sure I didn't miss.
Sorry, I would let it go, I was never a trophy hunter. Not that I did not want one, my wife had house rules, no mounts in the house. I was never going to do anything with one, why pay for a mount to give it away.
My philosophy was to let someone else willing to put more work into it than me have a crack at it.
My trophies include a handful of 30+" Walleyes and a couple rooster feathers over 29", I can live with that.

Sorry, I would let it go, I was never a trophy hunter. Not that I did not want one, my wife had house rules, no mounts in the house. I was never going to do anything with one, why pay for a mount to give it away.
My philosophy was to let someone else willing to put more work into it than me have a crack at it.
My trophies include a handful of 30+" Walleyes and a couple rooster feathers over 29", I can live with that.

I should've taken the same stand as your wife....The best trophies on the wall, belong to my wife! :mad:

Are you trolling me milo??? Lol

We will settle this in PMs!!

In 45 years in 7 states I don't ever recall seeing small bucks shed velvet before larger bucks but I'm sure it happens.
You are right on that. I've been around whitetail my whole life, the little guys here are first to shed and first to get frisky.... by the time I've been out west everything is usually shed I did see a couple of larger bucks with some shredded velvet hanging on once around Oct 1 when the forkies were clean. Guessed they were like our whiteys here although all velvet is usually off by 1st or 2nd week in sept.
On the other hand say elk several times in late Oct where spikes still had some velvet but I doubt if they even rub much.
The op' s pictures were too blurry on my phone to tel, l but I think it looked like it was dried up & cracked so probably was gone soon after he took the picture.

ew-biggie-007.jpg

Would you shoot this deer or consider leaving it for seed for more like him in the future
? No right or wrong answer. I realize it could be a trophy of a lifetime. Just wondering what others might consider?
I would shoot this deer. His genetics more than likely have already been passed on over the past two years.

I have commented on this once before and I have come to a different conclusion.. since I always go out with one of my friend's children and the friend, I would have set up the youngster with the one on the left, I would have shot the one on the right and two tags would have been filled. then I would have gotten my friend's tag filled. the taxidermist might go hungry with me. I do not have mounts but I might have to rethink that with this big bruiser. his head might look really good above the entrance to my shop.

Uh...maybe....1012191352a.jpg
This one looked bigger alive....its a 168" buck...20" wide inside...big bases and pedicals more influential to older age....
No teeth...just like I like'm.....but 3" of fat on his butt.....
Alfalfa and oats.....probably won't taste very good.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.