Would you pay $3000 for a factory Remington?

Some of these replies read like some of you have a real ax to grind with Remington. My goodness!:eek:

In a certain degree of fairness, some who have tried to add up the costs of components to achieve the retail price being stated by Remington, have forgotten a fair sized cost, that of the brand name attached to this rifle, SIXSITE. Go take a look at their website to see what price ranges their clothing is in and tell us that they aren't getting a substantial spiff from each rifle for the use of their name.

https://sixsitegear.com/

Now, some have tried to wiggle in a price which included current labor costs from gunsmiths. Remington definitely has a leg up on the individual gunsmith for the costs of doing business but the individual gunsmith has all of those costs to pay all by himself. Just to be fair, go ask your insurance agent for liability insurance for being a gunsmith. From most agents, you'll get that look of disgust followed by the answer, 'We don't insure gunsmiths!' I couldn't get some of those agents to insure just my machines. They stated (and I recorded) they will not insure machines used to make guns. Then track down those agencies that do and ask the same question. Remington is paying millions in insurance premiums in more ways than just one. Now imagine all the settlements and the recalls...

I get the impression that Remington has spoiled too many of you with their attempts to build and maintain a level of cheapness for their everyday rifles. I saw one just yesterday (M700 SA), $335.00 complete with a cheap scope. Now let them throw in a customized rifle for substantially more (10x) and everyone gets upset. Does anyone remember the military contract they were awarded? $15,000 for each rifle kit which included a 10 year maintenance contract and parts. Nobody asked about the additional coverage of the contract, it's actually the most expensive part of the entire project since Remington has to repair and replace and keep all the parts available for that 10 years.

Without belaboring this much more, AG Composites is a fairly good size company, making stocks for lots of other companies as private labeled. They are not some little knockoff company making cheap stocks.

The big question is, would I pay $3,300.00 for Remington Custom Shop rifle? In one word, NO.

Is this a bad rifle, not in my opinion, just a little over priced...;):D

Regards.

The big question is, would I pay $3,300.00 for Remington Custom Shop rifle? In one word, NO.

Regards.
I think when you get into this price range, you want to make everything as close to exactly what you want as possible, which means full custom and choosing each individual build component to fit your liking. Buying from Remington, even though it may well be the best rifle you've ever handled, you get to choose the cartridge only. I also trust my gunsmith a lot more than a gunsmith I've never met or spoken to before, even if they are a master and work for a company as large and storied as Remington. Again, I have 6 Rem700s in my lineup in factory and semi custom configurations and love each one. But the most I've paid for a factory rifle from them is about $850 for a 5r Gen 2. If I want to spend more, I'm calling my smith.

Except if you reload, no warranty!
Is there warranty on any factory rifle If you reload? How would they know you are using reloads? Other than a catastrophic failure.

I would think the custom factory rifle will hold value better than any custom. I personally would opt for a custom done by the right Smith.

Steve

What happens when you buy one of there rifles in a non factory ammo cartridge? Or am I thinking wrong, the only way to get one is by buying parts and having it put together.

I don't know any rifles built by those companies that are sitting on store shelves chambered in wildcats.

There is more to the Remington Sheep Rifle than just the price. Here is their blog about many of the facets involved with the project:

https://www.remington.com/custom-shop/blog

I think that it's interesting that they address the price because of comments being made by consumers:

ABOUT THE PRICE
July 17, 2017
A few words on the cost of the rifle
We've noticed some recent concern about the price of the Ultimate Sheep Rifle, which we are happy to take a moment to address.

It's important to remember that this is a custom rifle (not a production firearm) built to meet the specific requirements and goals laid out by KUIU founder Jason Hairston. Each and every decision that went into the construction of this rifle was made based on his years of experience hunting wild sheep throughout North America's most rugged and unforgiving landscapes. Hairston worked with the Remington Custom Shop to build the Ultimate Sheep Rifle to meet his needs.

So here we have another big shot lending his ideas about a rifle used for hunting sheep in mountainous areas. My guess is that he didn't get onboard without a payment of some sort.

Scroll down the page to a video prepared to show some of the decision process. In this video and elsewhere in the blog, they discuss how 'custom' this rifle is then go on to explain that it is the vision of Jason Hairston which makes it custom. I have to disagree with this assessment since by my definition, custom for me means that I choose the parts and every other detail regarding the build then turn the gunsmith loose. While these rifles are being built in the custom shop rather than on the production floor, I think you can make a case for these rifle to be a high grade version but they are still production rifle using better grade parts. We have no input unless you include the cartridge.

The whole blog is a long form commercial for the rifle. It's not bad at all, it's just a commercial.

Some of these replies read like some of you have a real ax to grind with Remington. My goodness!:eek:

In a certain degree of fairness, some who have tried to add up the costs of components to achieve the retail price being stated by Remington, have forgotten a fair sized cost, that of the brand name attached to this rifle, SIXSITE. Go take a look at their website to see what price ranges their clothing is in and tell us that they aren't getting a substantial spiff from each rifle for the use of their name.

https://sixsitegear.com/

Now, some have tried to wiggle in a price which included current labor costs from gunsmiths. Remington definitely has a leg up on the individual gunsmith for the costs of doing business but the individual gunsmith has all of those costs to pay all by himself. Just to be fair, go ask your insurance agent for liability insurance for being a gunsmith. From most agents, you'll get that look of disgust followed by the answer, 'We don't insure gunsmiths!' I couldn't get some of those agents to insure just my machines. They stated (and I recorded) they will not insure machines used to make guns. Then track down those agencies that do and ask the same question. Remington is paying millions in insurance premiums in more ways than just one. Now imagine all the settlements and the recalls...

I get the impression that Remington has spoiled too many of you with their attempts to build and maintain a level of cheapness for their everyday rifles. I saw one just yesterday (M700 SA), $335.00 complete with a cheap scope. Now let them throw in a customized rifle for substantially more (10x) and everyone gets upset. Does anyone remember the military contract they were awarded? $15,000 for each rifle kit which included a 10 year maintenance contract and parts. Nobody asked about the additional coverage of the contract, it's actually the most expensive part of the entire project since Remington has to repair and replace and keep all the parts available for that 10 years.

Without belaboring this much more, AG Composites is a fairly good size company, making stocks for lots of other companies as private labeled. They are not some little knockoff company making cheap stocks.

Regards.

Looks like we have the same one word answer. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.