Wolf/mountain lion hunt suggestions

Measure your studs in wall before you cover it. Rite it on paper ,(save paper ) measure right to left or left to right but remember which way you tape measured it ,plywood can get pricey ,and there's stud finders .
Been doing this for years. I use a hammer with the face of the hammer flat to the wall, lightly tapping on the wall until I find a solid section of drywall, you'll feel and "hear" the difference when yo find the stud. Once the stud is found, I transfer the found solid section down to masking tape on the floor, then go 16 or 24 inches (depending on the stud layout) on center from that point on, transferring the marks up the wall with a level off of the masking tape. If you are working with an unfinished floor skip the masking tape and mark the sub-flooring.

I have put countless blocks in for this through the years Building Homes for people ! The 3/4" plywood is also a great idea !! Just take pictures for later reference .

RumMan

Finding a Lion Outfitter is the easy part... Being successful on Wolves would be a whole different story... We can not bait them... So just the Chances of seeing one in a limited time of a regular lion hunt would be really really low on average... If you are serious about Montana maybe put in for one of the limited quota areas in the 100 or 200 areas.... If you draw then find an outfitter...JMO .. Dave

Ive been building last 30 years,built many trophy rooms.Some guys have alot of stuff.My 28 x30x12 walls then vault are 3/4 ply behind the sheet rock after 4 feet up.Hand texture with a foe stain rubbed in that looks kinda like bark,moose,eland etc are heavy,as are full mounts with structure,rocks,drift wood etc built in
IMG_1134.JPG

Hand troweled texture,then base paint was something like sunset yellow,then a stain rubbed on by hand,I did it but rushed some.It was alot of wall

My buddy is an outfitter in Idaho. I generally help out. He has gone 100% this year on lions and some big cats at that. For wolves we have been hit or miss but he has put clients on them multiple times this year. Saturday we were both on wolves in different spots. A cat hunt with wolf supplemental is a great way to go.

LOVE IT ,been doing same thing for yrs.:D OR do like my parents home,,1/2 plywood,3/8 drywall,insulate interior,between floors,ceiling,7-8 outlets per room with it's own breaker.(JUST SO HE could put a nail or screw any where to hang a picture)
Not sure if this is the place for this, feel free to move if not. I'm looking for suggestions for mountain lion/wolf guided hunts in montana, Utah etc. Most list mountain lion with wolf or bobcat as an extra. I'm wanting a good outfitter not the lowest bidder. I'm going to be building my house this fall/winter and figure I'll need some time away in the middle to recharge and this might be the perfect getaway, plus new mounts for the new house. I'd prefer suggestions from those that have used the outfitters.
Thanks

There is an outfitter in Idaho who could provide you a hunt for both lion and wolves. He has good dogs to run the cats, as well as lots of knowledge on the wolves. He is running an add here on the site also. [email protected] or just google richieoutfitter and idaho, which should bring up their site.
Mike and Dawn Richie are GREAT folks to go with, and have both a large area in the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness as well as a good area in the Nationial Forest around Salmon Idaho. 208-756-3231. I have hunted with Mike and Dawn since 1998 and take all but a cat and the wolf, but been on the hunts when others took both. Anyway give a call, but they may be in the hills already for the Sept 15th elk opening. He WILL call back pretty soon.
Ronnie Johnson 806-418-3202 if you want more/different info

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.