Winchester Model 70 30-06 Featherweight

Turpentine21

Guys I've seen some model 70 threads lately where folks were getting less than acceptable accuracy from their model 70. A guy brought one to me last week and told me he had mounted a scope on it and tried to set it but it was all over the place. I shot it to confirm and it was shooting 6moa at 100 yards for three shots. I disassembled his mounts and base and retorqued with blue loctite which I absolutely believe in. But just judging from his mounting job I didn't feel like. That was the issue. I then shot it. I wanted to try to rule out a scope issue before I went any further. No change in group size.
So bedding screws were next. And that was the the issue. The screws had factory loctite on them but they were barely finger tight. I removed the stock and the threads were coated with oil. I removed all of the oil from the bolts and threaded holes with a q tip and denatured alcohol and let it dry. Then a drop of blue loctite and torqued the front screw and tang screw to 30 inch pounds. The front trigger guard screw was also loctited and torqued to 15 inch pounds as too much torque here can effect your hinged floor plate and keep it from opening. Back to the range. The first three shots went into one inch at 100. I came back the next couple of days and the cold bore shots confirmed zero. Just putting this out there as this may save someone some grief with their new model 70..

All of the Portuguese assembled Model 70's I bought recently have all been professionally bedded by me, trued and made into switch barrel rifles. Not one had anything in the action screw holes or on the screws other than a small white/cream coloured glue. Removes easily enough.
None of mine shoot larger than half MoA.

Cheers.

Recent Posts