Wildcat die maker recommendations

I need recommendations for the manufacture of a custom one-off wildcat rifle die set. I have fired brass to use for measurement.
I will suggest a view point without naming a die maker as you asked, but in the hopes it doesn't derail you.

If a custom die is going to be required for a Wildcat, we should plan it along with the chamber reamer and cutting the chamber and do it at the same time.

In other words, whoever makes the reamer for the chamber can also make the reamer for the sizing die. Then, by the same token they make the die when they make the chamber. Does that make sense?

Failing that arrangement, you could send your brass to a number of folks like Whidden, Warner, or your current smithy can make one from a Newlon blank die. More suggestions will come along, but next time you make a Wildcat that needs a custom die, think about having both reamers made at the same time. Whoever made your chamber reamer, can make the die reamer from sample brass.

I need recommendations for the manufacture of a custom one-off wildcat rifle die set. I have fired brass to use for measurement.
I have a die set (along with a hydraulic forming die) made by Whidden.
I will suggest a view point without naming a die maker as you asked, but in the hopes it doesn't derail you.

If a custom die is going to be required for a Wildcat, we should plan it along with the chamber reamer and cutting the chamber and do it at the same time.

In other words, whoever makes the reamer for the chamber can also make the reamer for the sizing die. Then, by the same token they make the die when they make the chamber. Does that make sense?

Failing that arrangement, you could send your brass to a number of folks like Whidden, Warner, or your current smithy can make one from a Newlon blank die. More suggestions will come along, but next time you make a Wildcat that needs a custom die, think about having both reamers made at the same time. Whoever made your chamber reamer, can make the die reamer from sample brass.
This is precisely what I did with my .338 Thor.
1725013091101.jpeg

My GS made custom dies (including hydraulic forming die) out of it using blank dies.

Last edited:

I have these two reamers.

a lot of wildcat users have the gunsmith do there die with the reamer used for doing the chamber Wilson sales a blank inline die

My wildcat is a 6.5mm LWS, which would likely be most similar to a 6.5mm Sherman Long with the shoulder moved forward a bit and the neck shortened to only 1/4" thereby. I wonder if a machinist might be able to take my reamer and turn a 6.5mm-06 die into a 6.5mm LWS die?

My wildcat is a 6.5mm LWS, which would likely be most similar to a 6.5mm Sherman Long with the shoulder moved forward a bit and the neck shortened to only 1/4" thereby. I wonder if a machinist might be able to take my reamer and turn a 6.5mm-06 die into a 6.5mm LWS die?
The sizing die is hardened; use a blank die instead.

My "Wildcat" is a 1880s Cape Gun. I bought it from a guy who was friends with Joyce Hornady. My friend, Jerry, was about to buy this gun in the 1970s. Looked at the Hornady's catalog and saw they made dies for it. He bought the gun and then ordered the dies 10.3x60 and heard back that they never made dies for this caliber.

He called Joyce (they knew each other) and complained! Joyce responded that since my friend, Jerry, had bought the gun and it did show that Hornady had the dies. Joyce laughed and told Jerry that Hornady would make him some. I have the only dies for this obsolete caliber.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 8.1.jpg
    8.1.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 33
I've done the sizing reamer way and the Whidden route. It sucks whidden isn't doing custom dies right now, hopefully that comes back because that'd be my recommendation. CH4D used to do custom dies also