Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

• Bolt Action Only

Votes: 975 40.1%
  • AR-15 Only

Votes: 81 3.3%
  • Shotgun Only

Votes: 9 0.4%
  • Bolt and Shotgun

Votes: 416 17.1%
  • AR-15 and Shotgun

Votes: 95 3.9%
  • Both AR-15 and Bolt

Votes: 857 35.2%

• Total voters
I use an Mini 14 most of the time shooting 75g A-max, 220 swift bolt and a 10g shotgun depending on where I hunt. Some time I take the Mini 14 and the 10g.

I use a self-built ar with 75 hornady hp match or if I'm not worried about pelts a sierra sp spitzer both loaded down 2750fps &lc brass.
I've used my weatherby in 30-06 but the yotes pelt suffers too much!
The thing I've learned the hard way is that in summer hunting Wile's wile 'cause he's got fleas! Summer yotes I either leave or drag into the woods, depending on the flea cloud!
I'm on the fence wheather to build my next ar as a 6.5 (grendel/LBC) or just a 223 ss hb? Any suggestions?

Which guns or combinations of guns do you use for predator hunting?

None of the listed....

I use a semi-automatic, gas blowback magazine fed rifle. I want to insure that I have multiple projectiles ready and willing to terminate the predator (in this coyotes) that I'm pointing at.

When I am visiting South Dakota, where I grew up, I use my Remington 700 in 6.5x284 Norma for 'Yotes. Gophers get the 6.5 Grendel treatment. Home in Alabama I use a 6.5 Grendel AR, or for 300 yards or less I use an AR in 6.8SPC.

My predator hunting usually follows checking my traps so I usually have my Ruger M77 carbine .223 and a sidearm, either a 22 or 40 S&W. I also use a 12 ga with #4 buck or turkey loads in combination with my .223 if I'm out stricly calling.

when i left alaska, i quit fur hunting. i treat most predators like varmits unless i am after fur, then i use a ruger heavy barrel 22-250 with 55 gr FMJ at 2600 fps. otherwise it's varmit hunting. all of those who never discovered the wonderful world of 30 calibers are missing out. having researched different cartridges for several years about 30 years ago, i settled on the 30 cal in the guise of -06 and 300 WM simply because i thought they would be my only centerfires to ever own. Ha. like that happened. however, my premise of being able to load military ammo, bullets and brass (at least for the 06) and the LARGEST variety of bullets available, then and now to any caliber was my drawing point. i was not disappointed. the 300 topped with a 220 gr SMK can shoot well over a 1000 yards (my first caribou were taken at 1300 or better), the round nose is an awesome close up thumber as well as any of the new super penetrators (TSX, bonded core, etc.) for the largest game and the 130 gr speer hollow point at 3750 is the most explosive round i have ever found on anything. not including my 50 BMG loaded with 260 grain hollow point .429 in a sabot locked into the BMG, chrono'ed over 5000 fps. the small 130 gr in the 300 makes the mist of a 220 swift look like child's play. i vaporized a ground squirrl with one at 50 yard. it was in rocky soil, like a terminal moraine. the squirrel as well as a 10 inch deep divot of gravel and dirt vaporized, not into a red mist but into smoke! in fact, it still had a tendril of smoke rising from the crater when i appoached and found all of the previously seen matter gone....except the heart was sitting in that crater just pumping away, w/o any blood. it's wicked on ANY thin skinned critter. 500-600 yards is almost point blank range on any summer yote.:D

Howdy
New to the site, first post
I've been using .243 Win for about 40 years now.
Also use a Mod. 700 in 25/284 that handles 85 gr Noslers very well
Or a rock...just love hunting varmints

AR .204
AR .223
700 .223
700 .204
788 6mm
700 6mm AI
MK77 257wby
R#1 22-250
R&D 300 RUM For Wolves, Don't want them going anywhere:D

New to my varmint line (or when **** hits the fan) is my 5.56/.223 upper I got. Twenty inch heavy barrel. Got to get more accessories for it. Going to gun show tomorrow to see what I can get.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.