Which cartridge for a Remy 700 long mag bolt face

RH300UM

Well I've got the bug again. Setting around recouping from surgery gives me WAY to much time to let my mind wonder and think about things I shouldn't.
It could be worse I guess but it's my brain and it doesn't really seem to work any other way!
I have a Remington 700 long action magnum that is presently a 300 rum. It was my first long range rig. Killed a bull elk at 847 yards as my first confirmed long range kill and many more since then.
It's time to give it a make over/upgrade. I was thinking about going the nostalgia route and keeping it a 300 rum as I have 500 brass and dies. The action has a Wyatts MBE-3 mag box extension but remains OEM otherwise.
It would be the only.30 cal I have as I have gotten rid of or given the other away. Except my 30/30 saddle rifle😁
Over the years 7's and 338's have proven more effective
It would most likely be a safe queen that will be left to a child or grandchild after I'm gone.
Never the less I'm going to give it what it deserves and build a new rifle
What's your thoughts?

Got my 338 filled with the 338 RBH (338 Norma mag improved)
IMG_6946.jpeg

Well I've got the bug again. Setting around recouping from surgery gives me WAY to much time to let my mind wonder and think about things I shouldn't.
It could be worse I guess but it's my brain and it doesn't really seem to work any other way!
I have a Remington 700 long action magnum that is presently a 300 rum. It was my first long range rig. Killed a bull elk at 847 yards as my first confirmed long range kill and many more since then.
It's time to give it a make over/upgrade. I was thinking about going the nostalgia route and keeping it a 300 rum as I have 500 brass and dies. The action has a Wyatts MBE-3 mag box extension but remains OEM otherwise.
It would be the only.30 cal I have as I have gotten rid of or given the other away. Except my 30/30 saddle rifle😁
Over the years 7's and 338's have proven more effective
It would most likely be a safe queen that will be left to a child or grandchild after I'm gone.
Never the less I'm going to give it what it deserves and build a new rifle
What's your thoughts?
That RUM boltface doesn't seem like it would be good for what I would build on a Rem long action, 264 WM throated for 150+ gr. But you could build a long action 300 WSM for 210 gr +, or 270 WSM, and of course there is nothing wrong with keeping it 300 RUM. You might go 22" to 24" barrel and put a can on (or an effective brake) to encourage more use by whoever is the fortunate heir(s) that receives it in the future.

Better YET,...
For a rifle you might be planning on passing down, I wouldn't do a 338 magnum anything.

7mm Rem Mag
7mm LRM
28 Nosler
In that order.

7 PRC for,.. the Win !
Slap, a 24 inch, Proof Barrel, on that Action, in 7 mm PRC for,.. 1/2 MOA Accuracy with, 180 gr ELD-M's !
Add a PVA, Back Country, Jet Blast, 3 Port Brake and,.. ENJOY ! ( LOW "Blast" @ Shooter, + low Recoil )

Last edited:
7 PRC for ho-hum performance, 30 degree shoulders, and excessive length for capacity… I'm on my 2nd barrel.
First was 24, this one 26".
It's ok, just a little boring.
That's why I'm breaking in a Mega now.

Seems to Me very few understand the biggest benefit of most of Rich Sherman's work.
It's the case design that translates into long life with efficiency and plenty velocity. Sometimes that means a shorter action can be utilized.

It's not about outrunning the closest cartridge to compare to, for Me.
He's just the only one I've known to have pretty much standardized his own lines, with 40* shoulders, and with brass and dies. In my eyes they are without equal, thanks to his changes, making the absolute most of a given length. And maintaining adequate neck length+. The big guys have known how to do this for a long time but they can't utilize the traits, in a broad spectrum.
Less body taper
40deg shoulder
Longer neck

The SM's are another discussion, performance only. And plenty of it, from what I can see.

If there's a better concept alive and well, and supported, please fill me in.

Last edited: