Which 338 should I build?

With or without a muzzle brake we should all be wearing hearing protection whenever possible.

Otherwise you'll end up like me with a 75% hearing loss and permanent tinnitus in your forties or fifties.
And oh, how that does suck! Imagine your sweetheart whispering something to you, something ...but you don't quite catch it. So you pull back and say " What was that? Huh?" Talk about a mood killer !

And oh, how that does suck! Imagine your sweetheart whispering something to you, something ...but you don't quite catch it. So you pull back and say " What was that? Huh?" Talk about a mood killer !
I don't have to imagine it, I live it every day. In most cases especially out in public where there's a lot of background noise or the TV is up, if I can't see your lips moving I'll miss half or more of what you say.

I'm down to about 25% in the right ear and maybe 50% in the left.

I always wear hearing protection at the range but never used to hunting cuz 1 or 2 shots never phased me much before the break but I know better than to even attempt a shot without hearing protection with the break on

Thanks to all of you guys your information is very helpful. I have a local gunsmith well known for his good work and great barrels. I will have to see what he has for reamers. With a 28 inch barrel I would imagine I will need a heavy contour barrel. What muzzle diameter should I be looking at here.

My 27" and 30" barrels are #6 contour/sendero varmint, ~.830"ish.

I always wear hearing protection at the range but never used to hunting cuz 1 or 2 shots never phased me much before the break but I know better than to even attempt a shot without hearing protection with the break on

Muzzle brake is a tool and so as the hearing/eye protection, it is available for our use and enhance our range experience. I am one of those people that use gloves, hearing and eye protection when mowing and when operating other power tools at home. One of the better habits I learned after spending 10 years working in the aircraft flightline generation.

I don't have to imagine it, I live it every day. In most cases especially out in public where there's a lot of background noise or the TV is up, if I can't see your lips moving I'll miss half or more of what you say.

I'm down to about 25% in the right ear and maybe 50% in the left.
Feel your pain. I aint there, but not far off. And it is a real pain. In the patootie. On a positive, maybe someone that reads this will take note.

I am at this moment leaning toward the 33Nosler. The reason being the length of my magazine box at 3.6 inches. That length does not leave much room for seating bullets out a bit in the longer cartridges like the RUM. Now I am not sure if I am right in this assumption if I am wrong someone let me know.

I am at this moment leaning toward the 33Nosler. The reason being the length of my magazine box at 3.6 inches. That length does not leave much room for seating bullets out a bit in the longer cartridges like the RUM. Now I am not sure if I am right in this assumption if I am wrong someone let me know.
You could always have a smith install a 4.000" Wyatt's mag box in your rifle, if you're running a Rem 700.

If not just a 338 win go with the 33 Nosler you will be alot better off with your mag.box length.

I would go .338 Edge. Plenty of reading on this forum about it. Plenty of 300RUM brass out there. 33 Nosler, who knows how long lived that will be?

Not sure if there is anyway to lengthen the mag box on a Sako but if there isn't the 33 Nosler is a good pick. Stock up on brass when available and you wont have to worry about brass. A couple hundred pieces will last the life of the rifle if its a hunting gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.