Which stock should I get....

Vizsla2

I'm going to replace the Tupperware stock on a Rem 700, sporter barrel.

I don't have the budget for a McM or Manners, so it looks like either a B&C Medalist (aluminum block) or Grayboe Outlander.

I know the grayboe is heavier than the B&C. I've handled the grayboe by way of a Remington AWR rifle, but not the B&C.

Looking for the wisdom and advice from this forum on which direction you guys would go given my budget.

Thanks,
Stuart

I have a b&c the grayboe is a stiffer, better stock. But the b&c should be fine with a decent bedding job

A third option is a boyds gun stock. It's a laminate, so you'll need to cut pillars and bed it, but there's a great how to on this forum on bedding a vanguard, it's even easier to bed a 700. I have a boyds it's really nice, one of my favourite stocks actually

B&C is good quality, but the grip is a little fat for my taste. You may love it. Haven't handled a Grayboe personally.

Viz, wise choice to replace the Tupperware. The B&C Medalist is a nice stock if bedded. Perhaps check the inletting for clearances first. The Boyd's will save you cash, but a bit heavier and again needs bedding. Good luck

Thanks for the input so far... I was leaning grayboe, but they're relatively new and I'm a bit hesitant. I've also read elsewhere about the chuncky grip on a B&C and I have smallish hands...
Stuart

The newer B&C stocks I have been seeing over the past coupke years have been lacking in quality control. I would go HS Precision over B&C nowadays. Very similar in design and weight, but much higher quality. The older B&C were much better. I have had several of each.

I have only shot behind 1 Grayboe, and was fairly impressed it fit and finish. But that is it for my experience with them. Too small of a control group to give an accurate review.

I'm doing a custom F Class build, my good friend told me to not waist my hard earned funds on sub-par.

Go all the way or don't even bother as its a waist of money.

Precision comes from the barrel, action, trigger, optics, and the stock,,, over looking anyone of these areas "could" leave you wondering why you changed things out in the first place.

If our goal is too make our units the best they can be, let's not go backwards.
I look at what I need, then go with a fraction of "over kill."
That way it allows me to step up my game plan if the time comes.

Wizer to be 2 steps ahead then 2 steps behind.

My F Class stock will become a sport harvest or PRS Match as it allows for this at a later date

These folks just started a thread on this forum, give them a call as it costs nothing to find out what your looking for.

They have a proven track record in Bench and F along with custom PRS rifles.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/mcr-rifles-featuring-our-new-laminate-stocks.191643/

Take your time and do your search as it is worth getting it right the first time,,, you won't second guess your self if you know that your funds are working for you in the direction you choose.

PS: Remember my friend, a custom stock is for the person that wants it his or her way, it might be hard to sell it at a latter time if it's to far left or to the right.

I picked my 1 of a kind stock for me with the intentions I will be the only user, but after see it for the first time I know that there will be millions of folks that would love to get their hands on it.

Hope this assist you my friend as I hope you game plan your thing,,, let time be on your side.

Don from Western Canada

A 700 Long range has the b&c stock on it, find one and you can hold it before ordering it. I like the grip and I have stubby fingers.

Yes, I like my Remmy LR Bell Carlson stock, but my rifle is not balanced making it some what challenging to compete in match shooting sports,,, it can be set up with some added weigth, but it's not worth my time when I can get a fully custom fit stock that meets my fit and is built on weigth transfer.

It might cost a few more bucks, but it does 2 things.

It allows me to push the rifles limits to the max, balance and fit.

And it turns my rifle into a one of a kind.
Some folks are ok with what the factories put out, but a select few of us want the individual look.

I'll admit I was one of those guys that was ok with the factory lay-out,,, then I shot a custom wood stock rifle at 800 meters. I knew then that there's no going back as I push my limits beyond that distance.

I'm not saying it can't be done with a factory stock, but it is alot easier to take on the long distance stuff with a precision built stock with balance built in.

The MCR stock I have is extra long, I mean extra long like nothing out there.
This stock could compete in the 2 mile if I choose to go that route,,, but that's not the category I'm heading to.

Each person gets to choose what they want, a few folks including my self like laminated wood as it is strong, reliable, and has the look that we are after.

Like my post says in the other thread.

Iron complements Wood as wood complements iron, they both go hand in hand.
It is our eyes and mind that decides what we want.

Western Canada Don

I forgot to add a fraction more info.

Make sure you order your stock long at both ends, this allows you to fit-finish the look and human fit.

I'm doing a 32" extra thick heavy barrel, so the forearm of the stock "needs" to protrude forward so my Henry Remple bypod rest will sit forward...

This allows us to balance the rifle to equal proportions.
Balance is key to long range as there is nothing worse than having the back-end of the stock kick up after each shot.

A well balanced rifle will stay planted firmly threw the string of shots as the only that moves is the hand that feeds it.

Long at the back...

That way once the barreled action is fitted you can get behind it to fit it to ones shooting style.
Mine came 1 1/2" longer in stock so we can remove the excess before mounting the hard gel butt pad.

My build has no cheek adjustment since I'm old school and I'm running a 20 MOA rail, my optics has 100 built in,,, this allows me beyond 1500M for the caliber I'm running,,, 1540M max.
My other rifle will seen the bullet to 1700M.

There are only a few up here in our Americas that run these extra long stocks, those that look at them say they won't work in match,,, funny thing is that my friend Robert is up there in the National match numbers.

I'm lucky since all the testing is done, its proven to work, the barrels and stocks have been designed to work hand in hand.

It's nice when we encounter a machinist that is a competitor at the National level in former Bench rest and F Class as his friends and him move into the 2 mile stuff.

The only thing factory in the builds is the action housing only,,, everything other than that is improved.

Roberts says it like this.

"We always build a rifle that is better than what we can shot it, that way the only weak link left in the picture is the shooter and how well he reads the winds and his reloading skills,,, more so the winds. LOL.

When he started this sport years ago, he learned that the whole package needs to work as one or things will be challenging at the 1000 yard or 900 meters.

Each person gets to choose how to get there, it only makes sense to take advantage of the skills learned by others,,, qualified others with trophies on their walls,,, and lots of them.

Western Canada Don as I start at the lower levels on my challanges going forward.
This road does not come easy.

I have both the B&C and the Grayboe. Both are good stocks, but I like the Grayboe a little better. They have pillars instead of the full aluminum bedding block and they are a little stiffer stock. The only disadvantage to the Grayboe is the weight. It is at least a half pound heavier. Either stock you pick will be a lot better than what you have. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.