When do you chamber a round while hunting?

When do you chamber a round while hunting?

• A. No round in the chamber until you are ready to take a shot.

Votes: 111 27.9%
  • B. Round chambered, safety on while hunting.

Votes: 275 69.1%
  • C. Round chambered firing pin disengaged. If you hold the trigger down while chambering a round

Votes: 12 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Primer compound = "CONTACT" explosive whith a standard primer needing a bout 4 pounds of force mil spec and magnum need more (16 lbs IIRC) ...ever look at a spent primer and look to see how little room there is between the anvil and the cup? and you want to put pressure on the charge...so to speak...not to mention that should the primer detonate and the cartridge fires..without the bolt fully locked as you are attempting to go condition C...you may very well destroy your rifle...and injure your self or someone near the rifle...in the fired position the firing pin protrudes from the bolt and is not free floating all the weight of the springs are holding the pin forward even though they are at rest...how do you think you set firing pin protrusion? The pin protrudes from the bolt you use a gauge to measure it, so that the pin is just at the right point not deep enough to pierce a primer..not too short where you will get a light strike.

I have fallen with a M14NM with a loaded magazine, but empty chamber, cocked, bolt forward, landed on my back with a drop distance of about 4 feet, there was enough force to cycle the action and load the rifle..at no time did any part of the rifle touch the ground or come out of vertical..got knocked off a raised walkway....now contemplate having a firing pin resting against a primer...

I know people are getting worked up over C - but I don't see how there could be spring loaded tension against the primer because if there was, the process to disengage would fire the round according to what everybody is saying. I am saying personally having done it hundreds of times I haven't see that happen. My bro in laws fam has done it 1000's of times between all of them - never an accidental discharge....

Every year I read several stories of someone or their kid being shot by the dog who stepped on the trigger from a loaded gun not being handled correctly. In long range there is not need for one in the chamber, stalk and spot/creeping thru the woods, yes, one in the chamber with the safety on because shot can be quick. It all boils down to safe gun handling at all times, keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

My question was while hunting - we should just assume for the purpose of this thread that everyone clears their guns before they take them into the home with kids and dogs etc.

My question was while hunting - we should just assume for the purpose of this thread that everyone clears their guns before they take them into the home with kids and dogs etc.
9.9/10 times I clear my weapon after hunting and getting back to the truck, and always before I put it back in the hardcase before I drive home...Thought that was normal firearms safety practice. :confused:

It's the speed at which you disengage it, your setting it onto the primer soft enough it's not going of but with it resting there under tension all you need is one thing to fire be it a drop or slam.

Maybe, I have never done it extra slow, but I have always minded where the muzzle was pointing in the event of an AD - never happened. I have watched the firing pin indicator in the back of the 700 drop, and you can hear it. Never discharged...I have seen guns dropped 4 or 5 times, once out of a tree while in option C and have never seen it discharge.

Also, we (my bro in laws fam included) have used option c on M700s, savage 110 and 11s, howas, rugers, brownings and winchesters - never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.