Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

• Usually do

Votes: 807 35.7%
  • Usually do not

Votes: 1,193 52.7%
  • No but I probably will in future

Votes: 263 11.6%

• Total voters
I don't right now, unless I am hunting rabbits or something where we'll be shooting alot. But I don't shoot anything with a brake. When I build a magnum caliber I will run a brake and use ear pro.

While hunting I use hearing protection just for my .300wm, because I have a break on it. Othervise I dont, because it is quite hard to hear voices...

This thread never fails to disappoint me.

I find it amazing that so many people make the argument of not having the time to put in plugs like that's some huge obstacle that can't easily be overcome. Invest it a decent pair of plugs like the soundgear plugs which are basically the reason this thread exists and wear them all the time so you don't have to take the time when you need to shoot. It's pretty simple.

Also, if you have true stereo input where each ear has a separate mic to input sound you will not have any more trouble telling where the sound is coming from than you would if you didn't have the plugs in. A lot of people incorrectly believe that their over the ear amplification muffs they bought for 50 bucks are the same as the soundgear plugs. They may say stereo sound in them but that just refers to the fact that the sound is being played to both ears. 99% of the muffs use one mic for sound input even though it may look like they have two. One of them is just for show. Directional hearing comes from your ability to receive the sound differently from one ear to the other. Guess what happens when you have one mic spewing sound to both ears....... You can't tell where the sound is coming from.

Buy soundgear or one of the various other electronic plugs and you will know the difference. You will help save your hearing and even better you will more than likely hear better with the help of amplification.

AMEN, Mr.Backus. I also wear an 'in-the-ear' electronic product, and fail to understand why this argument continues. Given the cost of all the other gear we use for hunting, the modest price tag of these devices should not pose any obstacle.

Very True when you really think about it!

Last week I killed a 6.5 foot black bear in the Wyoming mountains. It was a combination of spot and stalk during the days and then sitting 574 yards from a bait for the last few hours of the day.

I wore SoundGear electronic plugs continuously and comfortably from 10am to 9 pm for 2 eleven hour hunt days. My kill shot was made just an hour before dark on the second day.

I never had to compromise my hearing health or my hunting ability. gun)

A win win. In my opinion this actually makes you a better hunter!

Living in Yukon and wearing ear protection can be a hazard to your health,bears both kinds black and grizzly. At the rifle range you have to watch your back,lots of grizzlies.I wear them at the range,the bears aren't bothered by the shooting and come around to watch.While hunting usually only fire 1-2 shots so cotton batten works and depending on which rifle I'm using,take care out there and enjoy the outdoors

I never have, but this year, I got a new 300wm with a brake on it and there is no way we are not using hearing protection this year. Ended up buying the ear muffs below, which have both noise cancelation and amplification technology. I've got to say that after going out to the range a few times with them, I bet I would have had a few more deer and elk added over the years because they do a pretty amazing job of amplifying sounds in the environment. Nothing is going to sneak by us this year! For less than $50, must say I'm impressed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never have, but this year, I got a new 300wm with a brake on it and there is no way we are not using hearing protection this year. Ended up buying the ear muffs below, which have both noise cancelation and amplification technology. I've got to say that after going out to the range a few times with them, I bet I would have had a few more deer and elk added over the years because they do a pretty amazing job of amplifying sounds in the environment. Nothing is going to sneak by us this year! For less than $50, must say I'm impressed.

Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement

Those you post are the best I have found (not that I have tried the really $$$ ones). I wear them when I still hunt with a pistol.

Just started shooting with my Sound Gear industrials
All of the positive reviews you've read are true.
I love my sound gears Thanks Lynn !

I will be wearing them while hunting this fall!

I wear hearing aids now because I didn't wear protection when I was young. Don't touch the stove to learn it is hot. Wear hearing protection. I try very hard to protect what I have left now that it is way too late.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts