Opinions on ear protection while hunting?

engineer40

I've been looking at a couple different kinds of ear protection that are designed to be used while hunting.

1 kind does not use batteries, it's more of a passive baffle ear plug as far as I can tell. They are cheap, under $20. Most state that you can still hear people talking and hear animals in the woods, but they will still block the majority of the loud gun blast. Does anyone have any hunting experience with this type?

The 2nd type of ear protection I am looking at are battery powered and way more expensive, like $200-$350+. They seem to be sound amplifiers and well as block the the loud gun blast. I assume I know how this will sound because I do use ear muffs that do the same thing. I just can't see wearing my electronic ear muffs all day while hunting. They would surely get uncomfortable. Any opinions on these small, in the ear type electronic ear protection?

Thanks!

Len sells these, which seem to be highly rated:

Hearing Protection

I had custom in-ear ones made by EAR, Inc a few years ago. Quite expensive, but very much worthwhile. Looking at their website now I think (?) they are the Digital Basic version, but I'd have to check at home.

I tried passive ones long ago and found them to be uncomfortable.

I made one shot without hearing protection with the 338/26-Nosler and brake.

Never again.

Use it or loose it.

I have also been pondering the high end over the counter ($200+) in hear protection. I did try some of the wildlife audio enhancing behind the ear versions. Good for listening. Lousy protection.

I would love to hear (hehe) some feed back on these.

I know the custom hearing-aid/protection ($2,000+) work. It's a bit more than I would like to spend.

Well, been hunting for 50+ years and never wore any protection .... Match shooting, range work, while being range master running bench rest matches, TRIPPLE protection, those little orange valve type in my ear, my muffs are stuffed with as many of those brite orange squishy ones as I can get into each muff, at least 25 in each side then my muffs over top...have zero hearing issues.

......TRIPPLE protection, those little orange valve type in my ear, my muffs are stuffed with as many of those brite orange squishy ones as I can get into each muff, at least 25 in each side then my muffs

I've wondered what those were good for.

I usually double up muffs, and plugs at the range.

Thanks for the link Len, might meet my hunting needs.

I've used both active and passive types of hearing protection while hunting. In the active category, I started out with a set of high-cost devicec but was not satisfied with their overall performance. Don't get me wrong, they worked well in reducing the sound reaching my ears WHEN THEY WORKED. I continually had problems with batteries not lasting, the units failing, etc. until I gave up on them.

I then came across some passive protectors made by Surefire (EP3). I found them comfortable to wear and effective at reducing the muzzle blast. Even though they state they don't attenuate the softer noises, I found that they do. The soft sounds of nature are missing when I wear them. They also have a tendency to loosen in my ear over a period of time, and I need to periodically re-insert them to achieve the full benefit. These are now my backups to my newest active protectors.

After Len gave a glowing review of the SoundGear hearing protectors several years ago, I bought a set. They are simple to use and reliable. I wear these now every time I go hunting as they allow me to still hear all the sounds, yet shut off the sound of my shots. The only issue is making sure I've got good batteries, and that's the reason the Surefire EP3s are carried as backups - in case I forget to have a spare set of batteries.

Well, been hunting for 50+ years and never wore any protection .... Match shooting, range work, while being range master running bench rest matches, TRIPPLE protection, those little orange valve type in my ear, my muffs are stuffed with as many of those brite orange squishy ones as I can get into each muff, at least 25 in each side then my muffs over top...have zero hearing issues.

Up to this point, I have been doing the same thing. But also up to this point I haven't had a muzzle brake on any of my hunting rifles.

I'm putting a brake on a new lightweight (very lightweight) hunting rifle. I'm concerned about the noise it's going to generate.

Soundgear has two models. One of them enhances by quite a bit. I choose the one that enhances only very very slightly

Once I added those squishy little orange ones inside my muffs it cuts off all sound almost 100%...when your sitting in the middle of 16 rifles going off almost constantly for 6 hours you need all the help you can get, did it for 15 years with no hearing issues...guess it worked.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.