When do you chamber a round while hunting?

When do you chamber a round while hunting?

• A. No round in the chamber until you are ready to take a shot.

Votes: 111 27.9%
  • B. Round chambered, safety on while hunting.

Votes: 275 69.1%
  • C. Round chambered firing pin disengaged. If you hold the trigger down while chambering a round

Votes: 12 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what everybody's thoughts are on hunting with a round in the chamber? C only applies to bolts, but I think I tend to favor C; although I have my 11 year old hunting without a round in the chamber until we are ready to shoot something. How do you prefer to hunt - when do you chamber the round?
I use a Ruger #1 so bullet in when I 'm ready to shot

I knew where I was hunting and how steep it was - or wasn't.
No idea where you're from or what you hunt, you just said it was thick timber and mild walking. Just trying to give you a visual of why I wont walk around with one in the chamber where I hunt

A until I am in game country or there is shooting light. Then C. When I think I might have a shot, I go to B. I do not think one can trust a safety while walking, especially with rifle slung. Safety, like sterility, is relative, not absolute. To some extent, "it depends."

This is powerful. I can't imagine going through this...option A for me after watching that.
Terrible Trajedy! I NEVER SHOULDER a weapon that has a LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER! When I started while hunting various scenarios my weapons that are LOCKED & LOADED ARE ALWAYS IN MY HANDS! NEVER, EVER, EVER SHOULDERED, PROPED, ON THE GROUND OR ANYWHERE ELSE! ALWAYS IN MY HANDS, EXCEPT for my CCW's for personal self defense! Tragic but POWERFUL CLIP! Thank you sir for sharing it with the forum, it may save someone's life, and keep life long hunting friends around to HUNT ANOTHER YEAR!
Theosmithjr

Last edited:
I generally do not chamber unless I'm in an area close to animals where I feel I may need to take a relatively speedy shot or need to be really quiet, then I chamber with the safety on. So it really depends. Option "A" is the most desirable though from a safety perspective.

It totally depends on the type of hunting I'm doing, and also-if I'm hunting alone, or with a hunting partner(s). (I've never been on a guided hunt where you were even allowed to have a cartridge in the chamber until it was nearing time to shoot.) I've never heard of a "truly" empty chamber firing by accident, and I know for sure, no quick shot at any animal, is worth the risk of accidentally shooting one of my friends, guides, or myself!

choice C is very dangerous. I have tried that before, and had an accidental discharge by doing so. Yes the gun was pointed in a safe direction, I was by myself, and no one got hurt. I did learn NOT to do that.
I have also had one other accidental discharge when I was about 12 yrs. old. I had a round in the chamber and was getting ready to shoot. When I flipped the safety off, the gun discharged. I always figured it was my own fault and must have had my finger on the trigger. It was a Remington model 600, which from what I understand may have the same issue as the 700 which will do that if it has a certain trigger mechanism, so I am now not 100% certain it was my fault. That being said, it is safest to not chamber a round until you are ready to shoot.
I normally carry my gun without a round in the chamber, but will put one in with safety on if hunting in timber in case all I may get is a quick shot. When I do this I am extra cautious about keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction due to previous experiences.

Did the accidental discharge happen during the decocking process, or after it was decocked?

A modified option "C" does have its place. Every rifle in my safe is stored that way. Mod is there isn't a single round in any of them. Keeps firing pin springs springy :)

Regardless, a, b or c, it's always muzzle control first and foremost (treat every gun as if it's loaded).
Depends on the rifle action. Some have a much more secure safety mechanism than others.
I agree every action is different. My Heym. 300WM. Is straight pull that can't be fired with a round in the chamber unless pushed full forward

I chose B. Especially when on public land. Game can show up in an instant, and by the time your chambering a round, and making noise doing so, there's a higher chance you'll miss your very short window of opportunity. I've seen a buddy of mine miss an opportunity at a cow elk because he was fumbling with his bolt, while his adrenaline was pumping, when the cow was trotting 25 yards broadside in front of us (I didn't have a cow tag). The shot opportunity was only about 3 seconds before she disappeared into thick cover.

I chose B. Especially when on public land. Game can show up in an instant, and by the time your chambering a round, and making noise doing so, there's a higher chance you'll miss your very short window of opportunity. I've seen a buddy of mine miss an opportunity at a cow elk because he was fumbling with his bolt, while his adrenaline was pumping, when the cow was trotting 25 yards broadside in front of us (I didn't have a cow tag). The shot opportunity was only about 3 seconds before she disappeared into thick cover.
So for the countless days, hundreds of hours in the field you're basing how you carry your gun on a 3 second scenario you witnessed? Is it worth having one in the chamber all the other thousands of seconds you spend in the field that you dont need it in the chamber?

I dont chamber a round while hunting with others and I ask others hunting with me to do the same. I teach not to chamber until ready to shoot.

I have found the best for a young hunter is an eberlestock or scabbard style backpack. You dont have to worry about them falling and damaging a rifle/optics. Learning to balance while having a rifle over one shoulder is tough on young kids and can lead to fatigue. We practice while hunting to take a knee, remove the pack and setup for a prone shot where possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.