What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

You'll probably want to use a 1:8 twist barrel with the Berger 88's and the VLD's. I could not stabalize the 88's with a 1:9 twist barrel in two different rifles. But I can stablize the 105 grain Amax bullets at 3000 fps in my 1:8 barrel. I also recommend you purchasing a small arbor press and a set of Wilson dies
keep us all posted on this new adventure!
gary

I surely appreciate the suggestion, but the barrel is already on. Back when we were setting this project up, the smith assured me that 1 in 9 will shoot the 105's..? Guess I'll probably end up shooting whatever is most accurate, even if it's only the 75 or 80 grn stuff.

An arbor press has kinda been on my list of "things to get", but haven't gotten to that point yet. When I used to shoot benchrest, I used my great uncles' arbor press (along with his rifles), but I didn't' see any improvement with it compared to a standard press for any of my factory rifles.

Last I heard, it's getting the dip in desert shadow finish at the moment.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm a little late to the discussion, but I'ved killed a few using everything from .22 rim fire to .338 (hey, it was all I had at the time.) My favorite has been a 25-06 with a 87 gr hp, haluing ***. I have no idea why but it definitly anchors them, and foxes, and haven't had any, significant hide damage. I'm sure I'll blow the next one i hit with it all to hell, but I've dang near gutted 'em with a .223 40 gr vmax too.

That is my favorite, fast, bucks the wind a little better, and levels them better than .22 cal, imo. Never have used any .24's much but I would imagine thety pretty nuch do the same thing. Definitly feel more reccoil with the 25 tho.

Late last winter I started using a 6.5x47 Lapua. Rem 700 with a Bartlein 26 " 8 twist barrel. Loves the 140gr Bergers. with H4350@ just over 2800fps. A bit heavy , but most my hunting is on larger ranches doing predator control and the wind always seems to be blowing at least a little here in north central Montana. Killed 4 dogs sofar. The farthest 2 at 610 and 674 yds. ( They are not safe at that distance anymore) All DRT with not even a twitch. Exit holes about the size of a golf ball.

I surely appreciate the suggestion, but the barrel is already on. Back when we were setting this project up, the smith assured me that 1 in 9 will shoot the 105's..? Guess I'll probably end up shooting whatever is most accurate, even if it's only the 75 or 80 grn stuff.

An arbor press has kinda been on my list of "things to get", but haven't gotten to that point yet. When I used to shoot benchrest, I used my great uncles' arbor press (along with his rifles), but I didn't' see any improvement with it compared to a standard press for any of my factory rifles.

Last I heard, it's getting the dip in desert shadow finish at the moment.

your gunsmith was right in that a 1:9 will shoot generic 100 grain bullets, but it probably will have trouble with the very long bullets that we often speak of around here. I had a lot of trouble getting 88 grain Bergers to work in a 1:9 barrel in my 6mm's, but my 6/250AI shoots them just fine with a 1:8 barrel. I've had very good results with the 80 grain Blitz in the 1:9 barrels as well as the 85 and 87 grain Hornaday bullets.

I use a small K&M arbor press for my 22's and 6mm rounds. I like the way they setup the toggle link in the ram, and can get a good feel when seating bullets. But on the otherhand the press is not strong enough to full length resize a case, so all I do is neck size with it. I bump shoulders back with my Forster; as well as an occassional full length resize. Been using this setup for ten or twelve years now
gary

Looks like I'm a little late to the discussion, but I'ved killed a few using everything from .22 rim fire to .338 (hey, it was all I had at the time.) My favorite has been a 25-06 with a 87 gr hp, haluing ***. I have no idea why but it definitly anchors them, and foxes, and haven't had any, significant hide damage. I'm sure I'll blow the next one i hit with it all to hell, but I've dang near gutted 'em with a .223 40 gr vmax too.

That is my favorite, fast, bucks the wind a little better, and levels them better than .22 cal, imo. Never have used any .24's much but I would imagine thety pretty nuch do the same thing. Definitly feel more reccoil with the 25 tho.

one would have to assume that pelt damage was never an issue!<g>
gary

Late last winter I started using a 6.5x47 Lapua. Rem 700 with a Bartlein 26 " 8 twist barrel. Loves the 140gr Bergers. with H4350@ just over 2800fps. A bit heavy , but most my hunting is on larger ranches doing predator control and the wind always seems to be blowing at least a little here in north central Montana. Killed 4 dogs sofar. The farthest 2 at 610 and 674 yds. ( They are not safe at that distance anymore) All DRT with not even a twitch. Exit holes about the size of a golf ball.

wind in Montana??? I'd call it a hurricane! I remember learning the hard way what fun it was to cast into the wind in Wyoming while on a fishing trip. How much drop are you seeing at 600 yards? Also what zero point do you use?
gary

For 30+ years I've used a Remington 700 VS in .25-06. It has worked great for groundhogs using the 87 gr bullets. The rifle is now on its second barrel, a Krieger match.

However, this last weekend I ordered a new 700 SPS Varmint Stainless in .22-250. My hunting lately has been in somewhat more populated areas. I'll give it a try but the 06 will be hard to beat.

I own a 25-06 and have been very satified with it. It easily takes down coyotes but you have to be careful of the ammo you use. The first yote I shot I tore it to shreds with a 117 grain Hornady sst interlock high velocity round. The 25-06 is also very versitle. I shot a Antelope near Newcastle wyoming at 200 + yards and it only went 20 yards before it dropped.

.338 Edge :cool:

Just kidding... I actually logged on to post the OP's question. I've got a TAC XP in .223 that should be pretty decent. I'm thinking about having it or my VTR (.308) rebarreled to .243. I didn't read every post but it looked like .22-250 was a fairly common caliber.

Last edited:
I have been shooting a Remington 700 Varmint Special in 25-06 since 1978. I just use it for ground squirrels and coyotes. I have seen coyotes just drop in their tracks when they get hit with the 25.

wind in Montana??? I'd call it a hurricane! I remember learning the hard way what fun it was to cast into the wind in Wyoming while on a fishing trip. How much drop are you seeing at 600 yards? Also what zero point do you use?
gary

Gary, Sorry for the late response. I've been working out of town alot, plus it's hunting season (which I haven't seen much of yet ).

I am zeroed at 200, and using 10.1 moa at 600 yds.

Heading north to the Rudyard on the highline today for a memorial service for my wifes aunt and uncle. Good longrange coyote country. Will be taking the 6.5L , snow camo, and call just incase....

I drew my first blood of the season this past Wed. on probably the biggest yote I have ever shot. I typically like to use my little Remmy .223 LTR shooting 40gr nosler BT. My LTR has a 1-9 and I know I can shoot much heavier bullets but those little 40gr BT's shoot soooo **** good. That big dog I shot Wed. was right at 300yds and I made a good front shoulder shot but when the bullet first entered that dog flipped end over end about 3-4 times then took off running about 50yards did another 2 flips in the air and fell over dead. I had my 7yr little girl with me and she told me I missed and that she thought that coyote tripped over something and fell down. lol I told her if that was the case he is taking a longggg winters nap then too.

My Rem. LTR is usually my first choice when going yote hunting but I don't like runners so I may step things up and start taking my 6-284 shooting 75Vmax's. I shouldn't have very many runners with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.