What's in the barrel

I decide to reopen this thread, I been trying to figure out this issue on my own and since then I been shooting my riffle almost every week, and do you remember shot groups I posted previously, forget it, now I hardly get 0.9 MOA out of it and today at 500 yards I shot 7.5"- 9" 3 shot groups compare what I had year ago 2.8" - 3". Can the barrel get worn out that quickly, I probably only had 1K rounds through it???

I'd check the throat erosion before hanging a new tube.
It may be time to move the bullet seating out a ways.
It might be time to try a different bullet also. Different profile=different engagement.

I spend time trying to adjust bullet seating depth, I tried different bullet and powders, switched to 168 SMK and 175 SMK, also 168 A-Max, nothing improved my groups, this rifle was factory tested using 150 gr Federal SP and it shot 0.58", last year I had no difficulty with 0.35" at 100 and 2.85" at 500.... The only way it still shoots below 1" if the bullets are flying at speed 2400 fps or lower... But I like them to be at least in 2600 and 2800 preferably... Feel like it can't hold the pressure well...

First.

Go shoot it. If it still works and doesn't load up with the orange stuff then what difference does it make?

Seriously.

If it does kick shots all over the place and/or foul unreasonably then you've got a couple options: New barrel, or try to polish it out. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll lap out.

Understand though that running an abrasive (any abrasive) through a barrel has the potential for altering dimensions. This may or may not have detrimental effect on accuracy. There's no crystal ball unfortunately.

Good luck and be careful with the choice of solvents.

I have had good luck with:

Butch's bore shine
Sweets
Hoppes #9.

C

I stopped using KG12 back in the spring and switched to Boretech Eliminator, but before it I usually do few passes with KG-1 & KG-2 , which I flash with KG-3. How often, well usually after each shooting session 30 - 40 rounds...

Had anyone replaced barrel on TC ICON, is it the same as Remington, I never replaced barrels on my riffles, usually I would sell them, who makes barrels for TC, do they use standard thread, or I have to order blank and let gunsmith make barrel out of it?

NesikaChad, thanks for the advise. I been shooting it and its only getting worse. And its been long 5 month streak that it want shoot. I only bough it to enjoy one hole patterns it was shooting in the begining... You right it doesn't keep shots allover, it still can be used up-to 300 yards where it stays withing 4 - 5". good hunting rifle for medium range...

I'm thinking to send it back and try to get warranty repair, but what if they say it still shoots under 1 MOA, when I bough it target stated 0.58" there is no way this rifle is capable to do it now.

I'm thinking to send it back and try to get warranty repair, but what if they say it still shoots under 1 MOA, when I bough it target stated 0.58" there is no way this rifle is capable to do it now.

Good grief.

It originally shot great for a factory rifle. They did their part. You proved it. They wear out. Some faster than others. Welcome to physics - it's the same for everybody, it isn't negotiable.

It's a piece of metal, not a conspiracy. It's long out of warranty, this isn't a safety issue, it originally shot darn well.

You are the one that maintained it, you picked the solvents, you picked the ammo, you own it. Take responsibility for it. This isn't complicated. If it shoots well enough for your mission, shoot it. If it doesn't, fix it or sell it.

Fitch

Here's an idea for ya.

Run a portion, as recommended in the instructions, of the Tubbs Final Finish Process on it.

I got my guts up and did it on what appeared to be a warn out Lilja barrel and it appears to have worked. In fact worked very well.

I've done complete process on several factory barrels before break-in and can say that it sure hasn't hurt anything. Both rifles shoot way way better than expected.

But ya gotta get yur guts up! But, it looks to me like you have nothing to loose....

Also at 30-40 rounds per shooting session your sessions should have been all day events.......

I still would like to see what does Life Time Warranty on the rifle covers, I assume if its life time then it should cover normal wear-tear... or not... If not then Tubbs are the way it will go.

got it back from gunsmith in the note attached it stated there is nothing wrong with my rifle after they conclude firing test, 3 shots test group measured 0.95 yeah it still SUB MOA ... and the barrel does look differently, I never had so much fouling even after firing 30 - 50 rounds. Hmmmm... 3 shots did that?
tc2.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts