What would you do?

I have a 20 year old Remington 700 in 300 wm. Factory gun. With a decent 600 yard plus scope , 20 MOA base. It does better than I can shoot at 600. All factory. 26 inch tapered barrel. Other than that monster 50mm scope it looks like your average truck, hunt gun. Plus a cheek piece.
If I stick with conventional weight bullets and proven loads, I or a better shooter, can hunt with it well out to 600.
A lot goes on between 400 to 600 yards. So you need that 180 grain projectile. The 300 wm has plenty of case capacity.
It has a short neck but I have not had any problems unless I set the shoulder back too far.
If you have room in the arsenal, I recommend having a 300 wm.
Ditto... I have 37 year old 700 BDL in 300 WM. Shoots 5 shot 1/2 groups with 165 and 180 trainers. While it's not currently set up as a long range toy right now, I have no hesitations with pulling the trigger on anything out to 500 yards with the OLD Bushnel 3-9x40 that sits on it.

Truthfully... put a 180 gr Barnes TTSX or LRX, etc etc bullet in a 300 WM and go hunt ANYTHING in North America and virtually at any distance you want. You can buy ammo in any local hardware store or gas station. I would say the same for the 7 RM but to me, it's a cartridge that you need to (in my opinion) go heavier with (160 grainers) with versus that 1 load that does it all. I will say that I am enjoying shooting my 28 Nosler, but if it comes down to a hunt of a lifetime... I'm grabbing one of my 300 mags.

Congrats on being able to carry a 13 lb rifle because I cringe thinking about carrying any of my "heavy" rifles anymore. I have gone the opposite regardless of the cartridge or recoil... give me lightweight in any of the magnums (I don't use brakes either) BUT... in saying that... you know the type of hunting your doing. Pick the rig that works for YOU and how your hunting. Heavy guns are aways easier to shoot long distance. I bought a 30-378 just to hunt ONE specific coulee for mule deer with a planned 700-900 yd shot. I never got that big buck, but I had the rig if he popped his head out that valley lol.

Since your not worried about weight... the 300 RUM and 300 WBY are excellent options as well. Long action and generally minimum 24" but preferable 26" barrels. While not as common as the 300 WM... you can buy 300 WBY dang near anywhere and no one can dispute the 300 WBY on 1000 yard targets either.

And of you reload... well... the possibilities are endless!!!! Why else do we keep buying guns??? Lol

300 Winchester Magnum. Get a Tikka T3X Super Varmint and a muzzle brake for their factory-threaded muzzle.
Let's not sideline Remington. I had a "gun-guy" at our local club swap the pencil barrel out of my Walmart "shoot-my-eye-out" 24-Dec 7mm Remington magnum with a 5R 1/10 seemingly short-chamber 300 Win Magnum barrel, with the recoil lug in the same position so the entire mechanism fit into my bedding on the replacement Bell & Carlson stock. The revised rifle is almost 1MOA with 220-grain bullets that the old chambering would not have handled without serious bolt lift issues.

Recent Posts