What would you do?

Don't overlook the 340 Weatherby. There is high quality factory ammo, and reloading components and dies. Pick a Mark V with a 26" or better barrel and a muzzle break. Accuracy will be a concern: 1 moa is about 10" at 1000 yards, and it's much harder to mantain at 1000 than at 100. A good scope is needed. If you aren't carrying it, I suppose you aren't still hunting, so a 3 or 4 power low end on the scope is likely OK. I like Swarovski.

The 340 Wby has been sitting around for years without much attention. It's equivalent to a 338 Lapua. It's recoil is a little bigger than the 300 Weatherby (or 300 WinMag in a lighter rifle). It's way more than a 338 WinMag. Get enough eye relief.
Over fifty years ago, Elmer Keith & company developed the 334OKH. Elmer later stated that, with very minor changes, it was similar to the 340 Weatherby. Elmer also said it was the finest long range big game cartridge ever. Forward 50 years, the manufacturers & publicists tout the 338 Lapua - just another version of the 340 Weatherby and Elmer's 334OKH.

My stainless synthetic Rem 700 in 340 Wby sports a 25" Douglas Premium barrel for ease of hunting use and has been used all over the US, especially Alaska. It shoots 250gr NPs into 2-3/8" at 300 yards. Needless to say, I'd carry it anywhere.
However, unless the OP plans to hunt in the vicinity of big bears, a 26" barreled rifle in 7mm Rem Mag would fulfill his stated needs very well without the extra costs and recoil of the larger cartridges.

I'd say 300 prc if you want to use factory ammo or 300 win mag if you hand load or anything similar that you can shoot a 190-225 grain quality bullet accurately at a decent velocity. We have killed many elk the last few years from 500-962 yards using 190 Berger 210 Berger 220 eldx 225 eldm in various rifles.

Wow, lots of opinions here but 1000 yard 10" groups (which I would restrict myself to) are really far and few when discussing hunting rifles and field conditions. Very few have the skills and knowledge to consistently hit a 10" target with the first shot at 1000 yards.
I was just out testing a 338 Norma Magnum Barrett MRAD MK22 mod Zero that will shoot 1/3 MOA at 300 meters and yet at 1,000 yards only a very few can make a first round hit on a 10" plate. I can some days and not others and I am a NRA Long Range High Master. My personal choice for a factory rifle and factory ammunition would be a Weatherby MkV TLR 30-378 Weatherby. With it you can buy factory ammunition up to the task. I would also advise going to Mark Thompsons class. But in addition to that you will need a place to shoot 1,000 yards frequently and learn to read the wind with less tan .5 MPH error.

After a long list of calibers and rifles that are all great choices I have to say that my Desert Tech in .338 LM has done everything I have asked of it very well! The .338 LM and other super magnums such as the Weatherby .338-.378 have "over match" for most shooting needs. They have very high BC projectile availability, high velocity and high energy. This over match gives you an edge in wind bucking capabilities and time of flight along with higher energy delivered to the target. I have a host of reasons I prefer my DT, but there are many great rifles available that you may prefer. I really like 60 degree bolt throw and the Weatherby MK V which is available in quite an assortment of calibers now, if it were me .338-.378 would be the one!
body_wh.svg

View attachment 556997

MARK V® APEX®

$2,799.00 – $2,899.00

Welcome to the top of the food chain, the Mark V® APEX is where long-range accuracy meets lightweight hunting. The APEX is built on the iconic Weatherby® Mark V® steel action and comes with a fluted two-toned cerakoted barrel.

FINISH

Fluted Barrel – 2-tone Coyote Tan Cerakote and Graphite Black
Trigger Guard / Receiver – Coyote Tan Cerakote
Bolt / Bolt Knob / Safety – Graphite Black Cerakote
Stock – Exposed Carbon fiber with tan/brown sponge pattern accents
That is a nice looking rifle!!!! May have took at that one a little closer!!! Thanks

Wow, lots of opinions here but 1000 yard 10" groups (which I would restrict myself to) are really far and few when discussing hunting rifles and field conditions. Very few have the skills and knowledge to consistently hit a 10" target with the first shot at 1000 yards.
I was just out testing a 338 Norma Magnum Barrett MRAD MK22 mod Zero that will shoot 1/3 MOA at 300 meters and yet at 1,000 yards only a very few can make a first round hit on a 10" plate. I can some days and not others and I am a NRA Long Range High Master. My personal choice for a factory rifle and factory ammunition would be a Weatherby MkV TLR 30-378 Weatherby. With it you can buy factory ammunition up to the task. I would also advise going to Mark Thompsons class. But in addition to that you will need a place to shoot 1,000 yards frequently and learn to read the wind with less tan .5 MPH error.
Effective long range (1000 yds) shooting contains some magical elements. Let your rifle be perfectly accurate, shooting to exact point of aim time after time, and let your shooting technique be equally perfect. Those are the elements that you can control. You can't influence wind and you can't influence whether the animal stays till or moves. The bullet will take ~ 1.3 seconds to make the 1000 yd flight. How far can you move in 1 second? 10 or 15 feet, if moving quickly, 3 or 4 if moseying along. A slow movement by your 1000 yd target will defeat all of your efforts toward perfect accuracy. Then there's the wind. you may get lucky - there's no wind. But you may have a 5 MPH crosswind at the muzzle, which you can measure and compensate for, but there's no guarantee that the wind is constant all along the bullet's path, in fact, in nearly any mtn hunting situation, the wind may blow 6 different directions along the bullet flight path. I guess this is where experience comes in, judging the effect of wind. But cues are usually few, and assembling them into meaningful hold information very difficult. Wind may totally defeat your attempts at a proper shot placement at these distances.

Belief in reliably placing a shot at 1000 yds relies on a large amount of magical thinking. I don't dispute that people do it on stationary targets with some regularity (though that may take a two man sniper team to accomplish). Exceptional long distance shots are made. But on any game that isn't sleeping, you are tossing the dice, due to the animals ability to move, even if you are perfectly accurate. Sudden target movement can be a problem even at normal hunting ranges.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
In my opinion, I don't think you need a magnum rifle. If so, the 7mm Rem Mag is just as effective as any other. I have a couple of 7mm Rem Mags, but also have several other calibers I'd consider if I pulled an elk tag. My 280AI is extremely accurate. To me, it doesn't matter so much the choice of caliber with anything above the .277 recommendation, but more so the shot placement and what distance you are comfortable at making those shots consistently. Practice, practice, practice. Ethical shots are what is most important as good stewards of the wonderful creation God has given us.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
vanguard 26" 300 wby mag. mices to mooses it ll do it all.

Thanks ahead of time.
I have a 7mm's a7mmMag , 7mm-08, and a 7x57mauser. If you do a little bit of research on these calibers you'll see that they all have been successful with elk hunting. Plus just good shooting rifles. But if you want something that you can go up the ladder just a little bit more. Get a 300winmag this way you can continue deer hunting or go up to over 200gr. bullets. Which will get you some decent size Bear. The 300 is kinda like a 7mm Mag. Except it's a 30 caliber and lots of bullet choices. Good luck

For a whole bunch of reasons, I would not choose less than 30cal or a case that would hold 100grs. Bullets need to be heavy for cal with high bc and not bonded. 1000 is a long poke. There is a huge difference between 6-700 and 1000-1100 shooting big game. There is no such thing as too much gun out there. If inside 700 I would choose a big 7. Shoot something that far and one of the biggest challenges is just finding the exact spot where he was standing if he runs.

Last edited:
30 Nosler or another big 30 if you really intend on shooting at something out to 1000 yards. As a few others have pointed out though, 1000 yards is a long shot at game. I guess if I had a heavy super accurate rifle with a super solid rest and no wind I would try a shot to 800-900 yards, but me personally, 600-700 is about the max. The animal could move right as you shoot causing a bad gut shot, wind can be blowing in different directions along the way, so many variables. At least with elk you have a large target.

Nothing wrong with a .300 Win Mag. Down to 150-165 grain for deer and up to 225 gr for elk. You can take any North American animal (and a lot of African animals) with it. You can find ammo and most any place that sells ammo, and it's old enough and popular enough to have mountains of reloading data.

I wish that I could be hunting elk at long range, but 300 Norma Magnum is my favorite cartridge that I am getting into. Working up a load for Hornady's AL-tipped 250-grain bullets which I acquired on sale. Had to machine Dillon's attempt at a 338 Lapua shellplate and have been waiting 2-years for trim die direct from Dillon supplier.

Last edited: