What would you do?

Almost everyone here is giving you good advise. Here is mine. First, buy enough brass and and now unfortunately primers to last the life of the barrel. If you cannot get these, choose something else. Then work up your load with powder and bullets that are available. Then quickly buy enough of those to also last the life of the barrel. I have some great guns that need to be revarreled due to lack of this in the past. Don't make the mistake of getting something you cannot shoot in the future.

Since to mention it will be a Rifle used for Elk, I would suggest you take advantage of all the used Weatherby, Mark V in .300 Weatherby Mag I often see for sale in the Cabela's Gun Library. They always seem to be in excellent condition and be priced around $1000.00. Barring that , I would consider the 28 Nosler , 7mm PRC or the 30 PRC. If you don't hand load yet, and you do select one of these calibers, you soon will !! God Luck to you Buddy

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
Just sounds like a 338 Edge project in the making

I think a lot depends on whether or not you're buying or building your rifle. For mostly whitetail with a big "maybe someday" opportunity to draw the Wichita Mtns hunt, my vote goes to 7PRC with 180 Bergers (VLD or Hybrid) if you're buying a factory rifle. If you plan to build, a 7RM or PRC with an 8 twist barrel and the same bullet or a 300WM with a 9 TW and a 215 Berger Hybrid (easiest to find quality brass for IMO). Depends on how you manage recoil. Good luck on the draw. Maybe one day we'll both get a chance. From Northeast OK.
We are on the same wavelength. I'm leaning towards a 7mm of some flavor, but also considering the 300's. I've had several rifles in the past that just wasn't happy with and don't want to waste the time or money on something that won't accomplish my goals.

Almost everyone here is giving you good advise. Here is mine. First, buy enough brass and and now unfortunately primers to last the life of the barrel. If you cannot get these, choose something else. Then work up your load with powder and bullets that are available. Then quickly buy enough of those to also last the life of the barrel. I have some great guns that need to be revarreled due to lack of this in the past. Don't make the mistake of getting something you cannot shoot in the future.
Good advice!!!! I have been considering a 7SS on my switch barrel rifle, but the lack of brass bothers me.

The Edge and Lapua are both on my radar as well. I know there is no factory ammo for the edge and lapua is hard to find these days, but a .338 does have its appeal.
If you have tha ability to hand load and are considering a custom rifle, a 300 Norma Mag (maybe even improved) with 245 Bergers would be a slammer and buck the wind a LONG way out there.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
Since you've stated weight is not an option, I'd first consider the 7mm Rem Mag. Factory ammo readily available and easy to reload. I'd opt for 26" bbl for shooting at 1000 yards. If you feel you may hunt elk in big bear country, you might consider 340 Weatherby. I love mine. Excellent long range cartridge. Can handle the largest game in N America. Of course, the 300 Weatherby, 300 Win Mag are excellent compromises!!! These cartridges have withstood the test of time. Newer sensations may, but who knows??? Good luck!

Since to mention it will be a Rifle used for Elk, I would suggest you take advantage of all the used Weatherby, Mark V in .300 Weatherby Mag I often see for sale in the Cabela's Gun Library. They always seem to be in excellent condition and be priced around $1000.00. Barring that , I would consider the 28 Nosler , 7mm PRC or the 30 PRC. If you don't hand load yet, and you do select one of these calibers, you soon will !! God Luck to you Buddy
^^
The 300WBY is ignored by most but yet it's a tweener type cartridge with little more horsepower than 300WM but little less than Rums. Plenty of nice lightly used rifles out there.

Roy had it right long before anyone else.