What rifles are the least picky with ammunition?

USAFRet

I will go first...I have a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. That rifle has grouped well with every ammunition, factory and handloads. Whenever doing load development, I have never seen any groups more than 1.25 MOA. All of my other rifles (some very expensive) range from somewhat picky to very picky.

The more accurate the gun, the more picky it will be. Right?

With an extremely successful groundhog hunt (650mi from home), my son killed em until running out of ammo (223 of my make).
He shoots 1/4moa to 500yds with his Cooper.
Given the rarity in having his hunting company, we stopped right there and bought out factory ammo from several stores.
With testing over 50 boxes of various ammo, we hit on one that actually shot as well as mine. I was stunned.
So we wrote down the lot# and made it a quest to find all we could for 50miles in all directions. Took a couple days, then a day of testing. This was fine. As much fun as hunting really.
But even in same lot, only 2 of every 10 boxes shot well. Enough to get through the hunt, -not good enough to replace my efforts for ammo.

When we got back from the trip, still stunned, I dissected the good shooting factory ammo. It was cheap Remington ammo.
Turned out that the powder was the same, same exact charge, same primer, similar bullet, same exact CBTO.
The only difference is my Lapua brass, and my bullets are custom FB BR.
If I could have bought 100 boxes of that ammo, at 10 for 10 shooting well, I would, and would never reload for that barrel again.
This, even at today's prices.

The ammo that didn't shoot as well as mine? None approaching 1/2moa,, most 1moa or worse.
Can't kill many groundhogs (in fields) with that.

Mild to medium velocity "efficient" cartridges are the easiest to get acceptable accuracy from, in general.
Like the ones you see mentioned above.
if you don't demand extreme results, a decent made rifle with one of them gives you a better than average chance. Good Luck.

I will go first...I have a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. That rifle has grouped well with every ammunition, factory and handloads. Whenever doing load development, I have never seen any groups more than 1.25 MOA. All of my other rifles (some very expensive) range from somewhat picky to very picky.
I've found that my custom rifles have all been the least finnicky of the guns I've owned, I usually try and shoot 100+ rounds of factory ammo through a new barrel before doing any load development and have yet to see much worse than .5-.6MOA from any of the 4 I own during that period (a 6 Creedmoor (Krieger barrel), 6.5 Creedmoor (Bartlein), 6.5 PRC (Rock Creek) and a 280 Remington (Bartlein)). I recently shot a charge weight ladder out of my 280 Rem that had a range of almost 4 grains from lowest to highest, I was just shooting over the chronograph to get velocity data and observing for any pressure signs at a single target not specifically for groups and the resulting cluster of all the shots was barely >1MOA.

The only factory rifle I have owned that wasn't picky was a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor, that gun shot .5-.75 MOA all day long with whatever I fed it, and handloads got into the .2-.3 range. I sold it to a friend and he almost exclusively just runs basic 140gr Federal Fusion ammo through it and regularly sends me pictures of sing hole/cloverleaf 3 shot groups with that ammo or something new he has tried asking me if I ever regret selling it.

Last edited:
I will 2nd the 308 win. Never come across one that wouldn't shoot moa with multiple factory loads. If you're talking manufacturers the Ruger American predators are lights out accurate and the Tikka T3's are tack drivers with plenty of different ammo types.

My Browning A-Bolt isn't picky at all.... Shoots everything equally poorly 🤣 1-2MOA is about what it can do.

Did I still kill a running pig at 200 yards with it? Yes.
Was it a clean head-shot kill? Yes.
Was I actually aiming mid-body? Yes.

See? Happy little accidents.
bob ross GIF

My A-bolt is a tack driver but it has that noisy BOSS on the end of the barrel. Definitely don't forget the ear plugs. That being said I am so impressed with the groups the muzzle blast is totally forgivable. Switch ammo, adjust the BOSS sub moa with 168, 180, 200s and 208s. It's a 300 mag everyone loves to shoot. Kicks like a 270 win with the brake. Total pleasure. My wife's favorite rifle.