What Muzzle brake

The basic gist of ported muzzle brake effectiveness is the height of the baffle wall and the angle of the ports. The taller the ports (larger diameter for round or thicker for slab as long as the port size changes with size) the better they work and the more the ports angle to the rear the more effective they are. As you angle them to the rear more they become louder and have more concussion. So while the FB and the 4 Star (I think it's called) that they tested are the most effect they are also the loudest. No free lunch here. The straight port brakes don't work as well as angled back ports. Look at the designs and where they ranked and you will see what I'm talking about. You'll see a ton of brakes bunched together because it is a compromise between effectiveness and muzzle blast/concussion/noise for the shooter. Or they just don't realize what they are doing and they are making something tacticool. Looks sells as much as function for some people.

I have 5 muzzle brake now on rifles. Only 1 of them was on his list; the JP Recoil Eliminator. Otherwise called the JP Tank.

I was happy to see it did the absolute best for keeping the rifle on target. It did real well in recoil reduction and did fairly well at not pushing the concussion back at the shooter. I still double up on my ear protection though just to make things more comfortable. My neighbor 40 acres away was furious with me one day and said he couldn't watch TV with "that cannon" going off.

Geez, chill man... It's just a little 30-06. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.