What Muzzle brake

DSMITH1651

I have a 7mm lrm and I want to put a brake on it, what brake would you guys recommend. I would prefer it to be as light weight as possible. Also can the barral be threaded while its on the gun or dose it need to be removed. I would have a gunsmith do the work. The tube is a 26" broughton #5

Thanks
Duane

I have a 7mm lrm and I want to put a brake on it, what brake would you guys recommend. I would prefer it to be as light weight as possible. Also can the barral be threaded while its on the gun or dose it need to be removed. I would have a gunsmith do the work. The tube is a 26" broughton #5

Thanks
Duane

I went one from JEC customs. It is small not much bigger than my barrel. I put it on a 7mm WSM.

Home

There is a pretty good review of muzzlebrakes (including this one) on the Precision Rifle Blog. (Muzzle Brakes: Field Test Overview & Line-Up - PrecisionRifleBlog.com) Only thing is he will say it will be shipped next week but plan for a month and half to two. It seems to be common among reviews. He told me a it would be shipped next tuesday (in a week) and he called a month and a half later that he was shipping it, but I figured on it going in.

It is a great product and reduce recoil significantly compared to my pac nor brake and nearly eliminated any muzzle hop off of my bipod.

I went with a muscle brake on a 300 rum and am very pleased. There are many great brakes talked about on this forum. You will hear from some real experts. In the end, the choice is yours, but, you can trust the advice you will receive. I should have put a brake on this rum 10 years ago.
My 2 cents... rch

Do a custom search on the top right hand corner, plenty of good choices to choose from. My latest install was on my .300 WSM and it's a Benchmark tactical mini version of the one Chris is demonstrating in the video link below ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/FE7HujR0DRA?t=2[/ame]

Best brake for the money is here: Muzzle Brakes
Remove the barrel and also have the brake turned to match your barrel diameter. not only looks better, but who wants the extra weight hanging out on the end of your hunting rifle barrel? Well maybe some do. The older I get, the less extra weight I like to pack around. Especially non functional weight. Harrell's has the best service available bar none.

On my 300 WM i have a Shrewd muzzle brake. Very effective and wallet friendly.

Haven't shot it prone yet. Have only shot it off thd bench and shooting rail on a ladder stand.

Best brake I have ever shot was the big assed factory arrowhead break on the Armalite AR 30 in 338 Lapua.

The break from DE seems to be the best "store bought" break I have tried.

Thanks for the answers guys, would love to do a search but it won't work on my phone for some reason and I'm hunting in SD now.
Duane

Oh i know what it will do but its no concern to me as i normally don't shoot prone.

Gotcha! For those that don't know what it does, I'm pretty sure they'll love to know before investing with it. It is a concern for most of us that hunts afield esp. those that do not ...

... shot it off thd bench and shooting rail on a ladder stand.

... just saying. :cool:gun)

Last edited:
There is a pretty good review of muzzlebrakes (including this one) on the Precision Rifle Blog. (Muzzle Brakes: Field Test Overview & Line-Up - PrecisionRifleBlog.com)

If you read through that link make sure to click on a few of the links near the bottom labeled "Other Post in this Series".

The most interesting to me was how the top 2 brakes for recoil reduction were by far the loudest to the shooter. While there were some brakes that were still very good at recoil reduction but not nearly as loud to the shooter. (I don't usually care how loud a brake is off to the sides).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.