What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

John Barnesness did the test on Optics Talk. COM. He tested the S&B 2X10 Summit and it was the highest resolving scope that he had ever tested. Later he tested a Swarovski that also resolved and 8 and he compared the 2 and thought the S&B was a bit better, but eventualy decide it was too close to call

I know my S&B 5X25 PMll resolved as well as my Swarovski 20X60X80 spotter and that is saying something

I'm not saying that S&B's don't have the best glass... It sounds to me like they probably do from the over all comments a I read. But, I would put more stock in a test that tested more than one scope of each. I would think a test like that should involve a sample population of at least three each, maybe more. I would also like to see other attributes tested.

Having said that, I'm very happy with my NXS, but it would be interesting to see a good comparison none the less.

I'm not saying that S&B's don't have the best glass... It sounds to me like they probably do from the over all comments a I read. But, I would put more stock in a test that tested more than one scope of each. I would think a test like that should involve a sample population of at least three each, maybe more. I would also like to see other attributes tested.

Having said that, I'm very happy with my NXS, but it would be interesting to see a good comparison none the less.

I have 4 NXS and sold the fifth one that I had. I have 6 S&B's. BOSS HOSS help point me in the direction of S&B and I have never regreted purchasing them.

HEHEHEHEHE-------Never regret buying the best!!! S&B and USO are the way to go for me on new builds.

There is are aspects of resolution that involve some trade offs. I'm not a lense expert but I know someone who probably knows as much about lenses and optical construction as any engineer out there and I might email him to see what he thinks. What I do know from my practical experience is you can keep increasing the resolution of a lense system to some pretty incredible limits but at the sacrifice of depth of field and thats your trade off. If you are a paper puncher and you want to have such good resolution that you can just about see the fibers of the paper that probably could be done, but move the target foward or backward a little and it will go out of focus. Take another set up where your resolution is pretty **** good through out a certain depth of field and not requiring you to reach up and refocus the front objective and you would have a decent hunting scope.

You should take what I say with a grain of salt because my area of knowledge is with microscopes and not rifle scopes. But I have looked through some of the finest microscopes ever built to the cheapy's and one thing I know you is you pick your scope for the use it is intended for. I have one Lieca that has resolution that is off the charts but the depth of field is so narrow it is unusable for many applications and my zeiss's have excellent resolution through a comfortable and usable depth of field. I have some Bausch & lombs that have a very large depth of field but the resolution is on the low end. I use them all depending on what I'm doing.

When I started looking for a new rifle scope I checked out S&B's, Zeiss, Swaravski's and Premier's ( I like Leupolds too, and can't afford Leica's). The first aspect I checked was a comfortable eye relief, I moved my head around to see how the scope reacted for me. Then I checked clarity and resolution by looking at objects at different distances without making any changes to the focus cause that is what happens in the field-you don't usually have time to adjust focus on a critter. Then I went for light gathering to see which one I liked best after all the other features met my needs. Then there is drop test or should I say reputation-which one has the lowest failure rate and vendor backing. I wish I could have checked the Nightforce optics but I couldn't find one to look through.

All these scopes mentioned are great scopes, I kinda wished I picked a certain one that was a lot less money (I won't mention names cause I hate to sway opinions) but I ended up with a more expensive one that made me a happy camper.

Klee

Klee,

I would be very interested in what your friend has to say.

The trade-off element is what I'd like to understand. That was a good insight. I wonder what the other trade-offs are.

The shallow depth of field is exactly what the air gun guys are looking for since they try to range to a yard or two with the focus/depth of field. I suppose it would be helpful for long range as well as a backup for a laser range finder or reticle ranging.

Ross

Hey Guys,
I have been having problems getting to my threads,any way last week my S&B 5-25x56 was delivered.Mounted on my new 300wm this past mon. WOW!!! 863yds from my shooting shack is a huge basalt rim (rock) painted 10" orange dot on it.zeroed rifle @ 300. angle was 8deg incline xbal said 18.75 dialed it in and first shot hit the edge of orange!:) readjusted put 3 in 3.75" scope is so clear I could see the divits in rock.Can't wait for next mon going to 1000 and past. Thanks for all your input on WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE ON THE MARKET PERIOD!!!! I belive for me I have found it.I may order a premier in the near future to compare with S&B.Again many thanks.
Wayne.

Hey Guys,
I have been having problems getting to my threads,any way last week my S&B 5-25x56 was delivered.Mounted on my new 300wm this past mon. WOW!!! 863yds from my shooting shack is a huge basalt rim (rock) painted 10" orange dot on it.zeroed rifle @ 300. angle was 8deg incline xbal said 18.75 dialed it in and first shot hit the edge of orange!:) readjusted put 3 in 3.75" scope is so clear I could see the divits in rock.Can't wait for next mon going to 1000 and past. Thanks for all your input on WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE ON THE MARKET PERIOD!!!! I belive for me I have found it.I may order a premier in the near future to compare with S&B.Again many thanks.
Wayne.

bozo699- nice shooting, that is really impressive. I know this is a little off thread (like that never happens) but could you tell us about your load that you have worked up. Bullet make, case, powder, primer, barrel length or anything else you've done to get such good groups- I'm still learning-and will be till they throw dirt over me.

Klee

The best sound of hunting season is the freezer door closing

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.