What GPS do you prefer?

I have been due for a new GPS for a while now but I am wondering when/what the next jump in technology will be.?
I think it will be satellite phone and GPS navigation in the same unit. Think Garmin has some now. Just need more affordable satellite communication subscriptions.

Other than that I think most new user function development will be done with smartphone apps...

I use the Garmin InReach mini in conjunction with my IPhone, works well enough for me and with the added option of SOS and satellite text. I honestly don't make much use of the gps other than a way point here and there to mark important features, it is more of an emergency communication device rather than a navigation tool but it sure comes in handy when the snow and fog roll in and you are 9 miles deep.

Garmin 650 with the Hunt OnX map chip. I have a Garmin 400 Oregon as well that has a 3D feature. I have a Topo app on the cell as well. Redundancy.

Garmin 64ST with the nice OnX maps for general use, and, since I have access to lots of data and GIS software, my phone with the Avenza Maps application and custom .pdf maps for the areas I am in. Regular paper and compass usually come too.

I am looking at a Garmin 64S what do you like/dislike about it?
I had the 60ST for over a decade and it worked great. It has the storage capacity that I like, has a USB rechargeable battery that gives it about 12 hours of run time in freezing weather (longer if it is warmer), and I can run it on the Energizer Lithium AA batteries which give it almost 36 hours during late November hunts. I get good satellite reception even in thick canopies and steep canyons. The screen is clear and readable even in bright sun. It also has real buttons so I don't have to rely on a touchscreen.

I passed that old 60ST down to my brother when I got the opportunity to upgrade and he is still using it and it is still working well for him.

I am not a touchscreen fan on GPS devices!
James
How do YOU use a gps? What do you want out of it? Do you know how to use a map? Like shoot an azimuth, plot points use a protractor, convert grid to magnetic, etc? Or do you want a topo feature you can just drop a waypoint and go? Or do you use a computer, get a 10 digit mgrs/usgs grid from a topo and plug and play? I have different garmins that do different things, but some features are just easier to use then others. One comes to mind that you can do most if not all these things with...

How do YOU use a gps? What do you want out of it? Do you know how to use a map? Like shoot an azimuth, plot points use a protractor, convert grid to magnetic, etc? Or do you want a topo feature you can just drop a waypoint and go? Or do you use a computer, get a 10 digit mgrs/usgs grid from a topo and plug and play? I have different garmins that do different things, but some features are just easier to use then others. One comes to mind that you can do all those with...
The 64ST will do most, if not all, of that once you are familiar with it. I often use it in a way similar to the old paper and compass, though at work I often use the computer to set waypoints using UTM coordinates so that I can hike in to small instrument stations in the backcountry, even if I have never been there before. With the good topo on it, I can pan around and evaluate the terrain on the other side of a ridge, just like I would with paper (though not nearly as convenient over larger areas).
The main thing is to make sure that you know how to use whatever tools you take with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.