What optics do you pack in on hunts?

mcseal2

I know this has been done many times piece by piece, "which tripod" "which spotter" etc. I thought it might help me and others to see the complete set-ups of some of you more experienced guys so we can see how the pieces fit together. Please include what tripod/head, and weights if you have them.
Thanks in advance for your help.

My current set-up
binos - Minox BV 8x42's (27oz) I also have Minox BL 13x56 BR binos (38oz) for "big eyes" I can use when I need them. I'm looking to upgrade my binos and debating between used Leica Duovid binos to replace both my current sets, or getting a real good 8x now and Vortex Kaibabs later.

spotter - Nikon ED50 13-30 zoom (17oz)

tripod - Promaster 525T carbon fiber 35oz
head - Promaster 6160 17oz

all i take are my minox BV 10x42s and thats it. spotters get too heavy where i go(for me anyway). I just keep it simple and light as possible so then you can walk further and cover more rough country

I'll preface this with this will be my first year backpack hunting and the first time using this setup, other than at the range.

•Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 spotting scope. (3.3 lbs)
•Vanguard Espod Plus tripod. (2.8 lbs)
•8 power Bushnell Binos (approx 1.5 lbs)

I packed a Leo 12-40x60 and a small outdoorsman w/pistol for years.On lighter hunts I use my 10x32 els and doubler.I use my 20x rifle scope mostly now on the hiking end.To look at trophy quality

My optics for back country hunts are:

Swarovski 20-60 x 80mm Spotting Scope w/cover: 63 oz.
Manfroto Tripod and head: 43 oz.
Swarovski 8 x 32 binos: 21 oz.

I hunt in sub alpine country and need to judge bucks at two miles and beyond, so the scope is ciritcal for me. I don't want to climb for half a day to find out a buck isn't a shooter.

I found a good deal on a couple pairs of Zeiss binos recently and got rid of my Minox 13x. I got Zeiss Victory FL binos in 8x56 for whitetail hunting around home and 10x42 for western hunting. Definitely a step up from my old Minox glass, and very bright.

While I am not a hunter (there's not much out there that I like to eat), but I did decide to see how light I could pack out for the 1 mile trek at Camp Perry this year.

I found a Sirui T-005 tripod and teamed it with a spotting scope from Champion Shooter's Supply.

The tripod (unfortunately from China) is very high quality, usable from prone to standing (with an angled optic), folds to a 3-1/2" diameter X 12" long package weighing 1.8#.

The scope is a very good optic, made for CSS in a 45 degree layout, 50mm objective, 12 - 36X, weighing 1.6# and barely covers my Commander sized .45.

The package is certainly worth considering with a total cost of around $250.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.