What GPS do you prefer?

I have been using Back Country Navigator on my phone for 5-6 years and have been very pleased with map options available. You just download maps needed for your area, while you have cell service. Phone GPS shows your position on the maps. I never trust one electronic device, so I carry a Garmin Montana with a state map. The OnX chip is extremely helpful when negotiating around private land tracts. There are probably more map apps that will work, I just like the BCN.

Use onx hunt on my Android phone. Down load maps for the area I intend to hunt when I have internet access (well I lied a little, my son down loads the maps). Any way it works great. Pretty well know where public land and private land is. Know where I'm at, easy to use. The more I use it the better I like it. Good luck

I use a Garmin Rino 650 with Onx-Hunt maps and Garmin Foretrex 601 wrist mount gps systems. I enjoy using the Rino and its radio capability to keep in contact with my hunting party and like the option of plugging it into my Basecamp program to do a review of the area and create tracks. The Foretrex has several nice features for navigation as well and can be used in conjunction with your Apple IOS Garmin Connect app.

garmin 64s here. I looked at the Montana and other touch screen models, but decided against them. I saw first hand several touch screen models stop working in cold weather. The screens just wouldn't respond. That's what made me lean towards push button models. I went with the 64s as it has the features I need without adding some I'll never use. The phone aps sound great, but I don't have a back country charger and carrying extra AAs doesn't add that much weight.

Last year I was unhappy with my GPS on a DIY elk hunt in Colorado and would like to look into purchasing another. Of course I am on a budget so I would like to get the most bang for my buck.

What type of GPS do you use when backpack hunting and why?
Thanks
James

Look into the Dolorme Inreach GPS. I've used my buddy's and it works great. Your family can track you on your back packing trips to see where your at and of your moving around while away from camp. Also you can text and receive texts as well along with a SOS mode.

I use the Delorme/Garmin InReach Explorer with the Earthmate app on my iPhone that connects to the InReach through Bluetooth.

For my DIY hunts I like the redundancy of mostly using the Earthmate app (not paired to the InReach to save batteries), but also being able to use the InReach GPS if something happens to the phone.

I also recently bought the OnX app to scout new areas. Both Earthmate and OnX are great for internet scouting at home and both apps sync waypoint/route data to/from the phone apps very well.

Both apps let you download high-res maps to your phone so you can access them without cell service.

I've only been using OnX for a few months so not sure which I prefer while hunting. I typically only hunt big wilderness areas so private land boundaries have not been a factor for me.

I use a Garmin Oregon 600 and it is absolutely awesome. I had a Montana and figured out I like the smaller screen and less weight. In my experience any of the touch screen Garmins are great. Phone work well just make sure to carry some way to recharge it!

Another vote for the Garmin 62S. Touch screens and I don't get along too well and I find it easier to take a few extra AA batteries for the GPS than carry some form of phone power bank and cable. Plus the Garmin is waterproof where as most phones aren't.

I have been due for a new GPS for a while now but I am wondering when/what the next jump in technology will be.?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.