What does your long range hunting rifle weigh?

Your long range hunting rifle weight

• Total voters
For rifles built to take game over 600, what are they finishing at?

All up, scoped, with a full magazine/box. As you carry it in the field.

This is for rifles built to talk game at long range, not for 3-400 yard game rifles. Pictures are welcome :)

600 yards just happens to be my maximum range that I will shoot a game animal. So my choice of "hunting" rifle weight remains @ 9 pounds - one ounce "all up"! memtb

Last edited:
Here's one of mine.

300WM, Bartlein 26 inch CF, Defiance Anti, March 2.5-25x52 MTR5 reticle, March rings, McMillan, SRS TI PRO 3, 3/4X24.

20220712_200512.jpg

Last edited:
Rodent rifles - 7-15 pounds, 15-100 feet from vehicle or 1/4 mile with golf cart.

IMG_1922 (2).JPG

6.5-06. FN Mauser, McGowen 8T, 5R #4 25.5 barrel, Sightron 3-16X42 STAC, Burris Sig Zee rings. Stock design by Seattle WA, gunsmith who won 1976 Wimbledon with 299 & 21X. Home done after stock roughed out by gunsmith. Nice Euro walnut with good grain flow. I have had this rifle since 1995 & it has used 3 barrels during the past 28 years - .280R, 6mm-06 & 6.5-06. Does most everything using 95 Vmax, 123 ELDM, 127 Barnes LR or 140 ELDM. Weighs about 9 pounds.

Last edited:
Have to weigh as you asked

I can't help myself, I 'm a stickler(OK - anal) for details! I always want to know the weight "all up" (including bipod if used) ….. as if it were with me on the hunt as it would be carried! Heck….my 4 rounds adds 6 ounces to my total weight.

I too, weren't singling you out, you just happened to show the rifle on the scale! Many, give weights…….well partial weights. While this doesn't pertain to everyone …… Every ounce counts on a physical hunt, at high elevation! So it's valuable information if everyth is factored in! memtb

Last edited:
I have many rifles fully capable of taking game at 600+. They vary in weight from just under 9lbs scoped and suppressed to 12lbs. Average is about 10lbs +/-. I have gotten rid of most of my 15-16# rifles. They are zero fun to carry up mountains.
Do you carry with bipod attached? And if so do you consider that part of the 10?

I'm looking at a 7.5 pound raw rifle with a 2lb scope and rings and it's already 9.5lbs without a can or bipod or ammo. Makes me surprised to see so many 9lb LR guns.

Fwiw I singled you out not for any negative reason, but because you have a pretty long history of posting lrh success and proficiency with lots of rifles.

Things add up quick to a rifle ready to hunt. I haven't hunted with a suppressor yet. Bipods are generally a no go where I do most of my hunting. I tend to carry too much stuff in my pack, but at least that weight is carried on my shoulders and hips. Adding a tree stand on my back along with all the above can make for a tough mile or so walk through the Tennessee hills. Now dragging a deer back out can make my old body hurt in places I didn't know I had. It's still worth it though.

Which one? I have several, and they range from around 9# to 15# with scope, sling, bipod, etc.
I understand many have multiple, but was concerned it would get to wild with multiple responses. So figured people would vote based on the "one" they first thought of.

Or differently, if you have to take a long shot and got your pick of the litter whichever you would grab.