What about .270 Winchester?

Great choice. First rifle I ever purchased on my own right out college in 1979 was a Remington 700 ADL chambered in .270 with a Redfield Widefield 3x9 for optics. Sub moa with factory ammo. Good friend and hunting buddy converted me to the .280 REM 2 years later which finally transitioned to the .280AI 5 years ago. If I were to recommend a cartridge for the reason OP is selecting would be .270 or .308. I definitely would choose .270

Thanks! Here are the pictures. Not much to go on, but the price was right, and I've bought from the guy before so he isn't a scammer.

IMG-20230425-230946738-1.jpg

IMG-20230425-230920706-1.jpg

IMG-20230425-230934314-1.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rifle yet. My wildcat days are behind me, and if I go 1:8 with the barrel I'll make it a 6.8 Western. That is the .270 WSM done right IMO.
I'm not so certain about the 6.8 Western being the "way" to go on with a build. I believe that the .270WSM "with" a 1:8 twist would be a better choice if one wanted to build a rifle. The .270WSM has more powder capacity, brass is not as expensive or as scarce, and because it has been around for a while now it is not so likely to hit the "obsolete" list in the not too near future. Just my thoughts. I'm going out on a limb here; however.... I view the .270 Winchester, the .270WSM, the .270 Ackley as whitetail/specialized cartridges primarily used for deer sized animals. With that said for me under 300-400 yards I do not need a heavy bullet for hunting these animals. Again just my opinion. With my .270 Ackley I can get 3300fps out of a 150gr ABLR, however it likes a node of around 3100fps. The .270WSM is in the same neighborhood as the Ackley.

Funny timing… I just recently got my 1st 270 as a gift from my cousin. It's definitely going to be my deer gun for the foreseeable future (not in wet weather though as it's just too nice)

I cobbled together some mixed brass and 140 Gr NBT's over some R19 and my 1st group at 200 yards was 1 moa ( 5 shots) and cloverleafd a 3 shot group at 100…

I got 140 Gr Sierra game changers and some H4350. Going to get some decent brass and see what she can really do!

Thanks cousin Ron!!!

IMG_5387.jpeg

Funny timing… I just recently got my 1st 270 as a gift from my cousin. It's definitely going to be my deer gun for the foreseeable future (not in wet weather though as it's just too nice)

I cobbled together some mixed brass and 140 Gr NBT's over some R19 and my 1st group at 200 yards was 1 moa ( 5 shots) and cloverleafd a 3 shot group at 100…

I got 140 Gr Sierra game changers and some H4350. Going to get some decent brass and see what she can really do!

Thanks cousin Ron!!!

View attachment 459527
Beautiful gun. It will serve you well

I think when Matrix had their bullets for the 270 they brought it back to life. It's always been a decent round. The heavies expanded it's usefulness.
Yes, that is also the same time frame when barrel manufacturers started making faster twist barrels. I wish Matrix they have stayed in business, but the new owner is not going that route. Luckily, I have plenty of 165s/175s for the life of my barrel—270 AI.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

Yes, that is also the same time frame when barrel manufacturers started making faster twist barrels. I wish Matrix they have stayed in business, but the new owner is not going that route. Luckily, I have plenty of 165s/175s for the life of my barrel—270 AI.

View attachment 459534
I was all set to build one but then Matrix shutdown. Nice rig Ed!

Thanks! I think Berger did an excellent job with their 170 in response to Matrix offerings - split it down in the middle.
Yeah I just wish there were a couple more cup and core LR hunting bullet offerings. Like if Sierra made a SMK, Hornady made a ELDM, or Nosler made a Custom Comp in the 165gr-175gr class. That way we'd have four bullets in that upper middle price range.

Yeah I just wish there were a couple more cup and core LR hunting bullet offerings. Like if Sierra made a SMK, Hornady made a ELDM, or Nosler made a Custom Comp in the 165gr-175gr class. That way we'd have four bullets in that upper middle price range.
I am sure others are out there, but

- Chinchaga Bullets makes 150, 160, and 190 RBTULDC.
- Hawk, Inc makes 133, 140, 150, 165, and 180 RT

I am sure others are out there, but

- Chinchaga Bullets makes 150, 160, and 190 RBTULDC.
- Hawk, Inc makes 133, 140, 150, 165, and 180 RT
Both look out of my price range. Hawk, Inc are round tips so they won't suit my needs.

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
I don't own one but I should because of everything you listed and it's extremely versatile and more than adequate for everything we hunt on this side of the planet. Also, within your price range, your options are many.

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.

Well said Calvin. I couldn't agree more.

Recent Posts