What 7 to build ?

Not in my opinion. You can push a 7RM when it's throated for 180s at 3k fps. The LRM has 8gr more capacity, but the brass is so soft, it barely last 2-3 firings @ 3050fps. If you go 3100fps with it, it's usually toast after 1 shot.
Thank you. That was one of my biggest concerns with it

If it were me, I'd just go 7 rem mag for ease of use and the cheapest to use. I'd guess that the money you save over 1500rds will pay for a new barrel. The real life performance difference will most likely only be noticeable on paper. The biggest difference will be in a proper throat and twist rate imo.

@highdrum is bang on in regards to The lrm, myself and two friends built three of them a few years ago and I pushed mine to 3050 and wrecked brass trying to get the performance I was after, mine got re barreled but the other two run 180's at 2950 FPS now and the blaser is at 3050, if it were me it would be Blaser Mag but I am biased...

It's very very hard to beat the old trusty 7rm when you honestly weigh the pro's and con's.

It will conservatively get a 180 grainer to 2900 which gives you elk killing power out to 800 yards at sea level. It will stretch out even farther at elk killing altitude and can often approach 300 fps.

I like the numbers from the 28 Nos but it needs a RUM action and is hard to source brass for plus it can be hard on brass.

Another fast 7 I like is the 7mm APR which is an improved version of the 7-300wm. It benefits from using 300wm brass but has to be fire formed and like other hot rods is hard on barrels.

Are you set on a powder? I prefer H1000. I have seen several guys getting 3k with H1000 in a Rem Mag but I never have. I would almost guarantee RL26 will do it. I have had luck with RL26 as far as temp stability but I have no where near the experience with it as H1000. I have never had a Blaser but it appears to hold pressure better. Make no mistake about it. If it is going faster than the Rem Mag it is at higher pressure. I have had better luck getting speed out of the WSM because it also seams to hold pressure better. If you want stupid easy get a 7-300. Use 300 WM bushing dies. It will push 180s easily over 3100 and throat wear is minimal which actually surprises me.

Are you set on a powder? I prefer H1000. I have seen several guys getting 3k with H1000 in a Rem Mag but I never have. I would almost guarantee RL26 will do it. I have had luck with RL26 as far as temp stability but I have no where near the experience with it as H1000. I have never had a Blaser but it appears to hold pressure better. Make no mistake about it. If it is going faster than the Rem Mag it is at higher pressure. I have had better luck getting speed out of the WSM because it also seams to hold pressure better. If you want stupid easy get a 7-300. Use 300 WM bushing dies. It will push 180s easily over 3100 and throat wear is minimal which actually surprises me.
I am not set on a powder but have read a lot of good things about rl26 in the 7 mag. Pretty sure I will either go with the 7 Rem or the 7-300win.

Listen to your gunsmith. 28 Nosler is all that it was meant to be! Forgiving to load for. Brass is no problem (use 26 Nosler if no 28 brass). Identical ballistics as the 7STW, in a standard action. A custom chamber is all the better.

Listen to your gunsmith. 28 Nosler is all that it was meant to be! Forgiving to load for. Brass is no problem (use 26 Nosler if no 28 brass). Identical ballistics as the 7STW, in a standard action. A custom chamber is all the better.

Again it is an awesome round but you better just spin up two barrels. I completely understand not every one will agree with me. Obviously the 28 is very popular. I used to be in the faster has to be better crowd. I suppose if you do not shoot much a 28 may be a good choice. I shoot way too much to make the math work. I tried it. It is not for me. The other thing is my 7-300s would push the 180s to the 3150 node as would my 28 nosler but my 7-300s did it with 5 grains less H1000. If you wanted 195s I would definitely go 28 but not for 180s. I have had them side by side. For 180s the 7-300 is just better. I see guys pushing 180s over 3200 in the Nosler but it can not be good on brass. Mine was good for around 3-4 reloadings at 3100-3150.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.