What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

Bowhunting for deer in the big woods of the Adirondacks in pouring rain. I was confident enough in my archery at that point to hunt a deer at close range, but I was unprepared mentally for the black bear that loomed out of the wet. It was gloomy and starting to get dark. I was under a large fir, using it to slow the rain, and that bear walked around the dripline of the tree maybe around 6 to 8 feet away. It was dead silent. Apparently the rain was keeping my scent right around me since it didn't smell me and of course I didn't move a muscle. As big as it was I had great doubts about killing it with a sharp stick. That was pretty unsettling and creepy. You look over your shoulder all the way back to camp.

A good friend loves deer hunting. He made a tree stand. He had it a few years and knew it very well. Opening season he went to that tree stand early and still dark.

Settled down until daylight appear. He started hearing a humming sound. Looked around and found that hornets had built a nest under his tree stand seat!

He very, very slowly moved out of the seat and as far over as he could. The branches were not able to support him, but he tried. But as carefully the branches would not hold and he started falling, grabbing branches on his way down.

Slowed his fall but landed butt first. Besides scratches and knocked the wind out of him, and as his rifle came down halfway and got caught. It was far enough he could climb up.

He now carries a flashlight and a can of hornet spray.

I'd like with a laugh face thing but it's not funny. What scares me is that the looniest people on the left coast (not all left coasters a loony btw) have f... messed up their state so bad they are running away to other states like WA and OR... and TX :/ I can spot a "citizen immigrant" to TX easily. Just look for a line of cars in the left lane of IH10. The lead car with it's entitled driver "ain't from around here". Sadly, pit maneuvers or the use or installation of a minigun isn't allowed. Not that I would ever consider such a thing... well... maybe the pit maneuver...
Just so you know, pit maneuvers work very well. I have done hundreds of them and they are actually very fun to do at higher speeds really as it takes less of a impact to make things happen. Lol! I will caution you to "keep it on the race track" like I did. The law probably won't be nice to us if we do it on public roads. I drove one year of ½ mile Nascar dirt tracks and 5 years on ½ mile Nascar asphalt tracks... I also ran in 4 demolition derbies. All of my time spent in the racecars was amazing. However, like you, I sometimes feel like I need to use that skillset to "help" other drivers going below the speed limit in the fast lane!🙂

Was culling on a new property and stayed in a decayed and half rotted barn with an open side wall. Our guide (the property manager) said he didn't have anywhere else to camp overnight and apologized. We didn't care one bit and offered him a drink as we unpacked, receiving a hasty response that he had to go. "See you in the morning and I'll show you around".

Mate and I are wine drinkers so open a "Red". We had hunted fallow deer on a neighboring property all day and were tired so hit the hay after a meal and a glass or so. Karl was first in with a half glass left on the makeshift table. I never leave wine and left my signature empty glass.

Next morning, we wake as hoped, Karl looks around and says, "you must have been desperate last night". "Why, what did I do?"
"Must be desparate to siphon another mans dregs from his glass", while pointing to his now empty and surprisingly clean glass with no residue in the bottom, as my glass had.

Puzzled, I claimed rightful innocense, denied the accusation made in comedy, just as our host arrived.

He asked, "Was everything ok?" "No problems last night?"
We looked at each other confused and said, "like what?" Following that with a brief overview of the clean and empty wine glass and of course, my declaration of complete innocense.

The host waved us around the side of the building and showed us a wire noose suspended from a tree. "Had a sheerer hang himself with that wire noose years back." "Cops took the body down but the noose is still there."

"Every time someone stays here, something spooky happens. The place gives me the creeps".

An to this day Karl still thinks I drank his wine, but I know, I didn't.

Was culling on a new property and stayed in a decayed and half rotted barn with an open side wall. Our guide (the property manager) said he didn't have anywhere else to camp overnight and apologized. We didn't care one bit and offered him a drink as we unpacked, receiving a hasty response that he had to go. "See you in the morning and I'll show you around".

Mate and I are wine drinkers so open a "Red". We had hunted fallow deer on a neighboring property all day and were tired so hit the hay after a meal and a glass or so. Karl was first in with a half glass left on the makeshift table. I never leave wine and left my signature empty glass.

Next morning, we wake as hoped, Karl looks around and says, "you must have been desperate last night". "Why, what did I do?"
"Must be desparate to siphon another mans dregs from his glass", while pointing to his now empty and surprisingly clean glass with no residue in the bottom, as my glass had.

Puzzled, I claimed rightful innocense, denied the accusation made in comedy, just as our host arrived.

He asked, "Was everything ok?" "No problems last night?"
We looked at each other confused and said, "like what?" Following that with a brief overview of the clean and empty wine glass and of course, my declaration of complete innocense.

The host waved us around the side of the building and showed us a wire noose suspended from a tree. "Had a sheerer hang himself with that wire noose years back." "Cops took the body down but the noose is still there."

"Every time someone stays here, something spooky happens. The place gives me the creeps".

An to this day Karl still thinks I drank his wine, but I know, I didn't.
Bit of a dick move for that guy not to say anything first, but I suppose that would have increase the likelihood of folks getting spooked out of hand

Sitting in my little hunting shanty about an hour before shooting light having a cup of coffee. Had just set the cup down, when something launched it's self on to my shoulder. Needless to say, I screamed, jumped up and tried to vacate the area! At that time, found out one of the friendly barn cats followed me in. I never heard or saw him till he decided to jump up on my shoulder. Scared the living daylights out of me! I've already had one stroke, that **** cat bout gave me another!

#1 In the late 1970's a friend and I drove to Idaho from Colorado to hunt Bighorn Sheep in one of the Montana unlimited tag units. We backpacked in from the Idaho side about 6 miles into the Unit. On the hike in we saw numerous posted signs warning of Grizzly bear activity in the area. Opening morning, we split up and hiked opposite sides of the drainage to glass the opposite mountain sides and agreed to meet back at camp at dark. At dusk I began to hike the 2 miles back to camp. About a mile down the main trail back, I ran across a tree that was freshly clawed up and started at about 8 feet high. On high alert, I got another 30 or so yards down the trail there was a very large and very fresh pile of bear scat in the trail. I was on higher alert and watching my back constantly turning around as I walked. About the 3 time I rotated around, a grouse flew up with thunderous wing flaps at my feet behind me an grazed my backside. I'm positive I broke the world record for the mile back to camp.

#2 I arrived at my elk camp spot in Unit 36 in Colorado early enough to set up camp and do some hunting before my nephew was to arrive after dark. I was making my way back to camp just before dark. About 200 yards from the camper, I stepped into a 15 foot diameter cluster of small aspens surrounded by a meadow of 4 foot tall grass and did a couple soft cow calls. About 30 seconds later at 80 yards or so, I saw the grass parting and something running fast right at me. I drew my bow just as a beautiful, young black and gold bear came out of the last cover of grass and stopped about 10 feet away and stared at me. I had a bear tag, but he turned and disappeared into the grass just as fast as he came in.

#3 I was archery hunting elk in Colorado Unit 50 and hiked a game trail in the dark up toward a ridge. When I got close to where I wanted to be, I decided to sit and wait for some shooting light before I continued. After about 15 minutes I could see a bit of my surroundings. Right about then I heard a noise behind me. When I turned slowly to look, I could see the face of Bigfoot standing there at 20 yards staring at me. When I put my flashlight on it it was this face in a tree. It startled me at first and had to wait for more light to get this photo.

20160913_070011.jpg20160913_080956.jpg

In the dark, Grouse in the woods or wide open prairie have made me do the "run in place" scooby doo run many times
Ever read Pat McManus? That's called the Modified Stationary Panic, a modification of the Full Bore Linear Panic, in which the scared hunter sprints at top speed through the forest, ricocheting off of trees in his path and only slowing down 30 minutes later.

A cock pheasant flew up vertically from between my legs near Spearman, Texas, on a first-light hunt in the '80's. I had no time for a panic sprint but accomplished a double barrel 12 gauge assisted half-pike backflip. I got the pheasant, but there was not much left of him.
HAHA, that brought back the duck memory real bright. I was doing a walking wildlife survey in waist deep tall grass, striding along in a boring area when I stepped over a mallard hen on her nest. She did just that. Came up between my feet and slapped me in the face with a wing as she left. I qualified for the Olympics in the backward standing long jump category that day! Someone who witnessed my great leap later told me I definitely deserved a 10.0.