What’s the farthest you have taken a big game animal with a rifle?

Impressive shooting above. Living in Tennessee it is often difficult to find a place to practice at long distance. I was lucky to get to hunt south Texas a few times with some friends. The only deer I shot were within 200 yards. My longest kill was on a coyote in south Texas. We estimated the yardage at 1100 by driving .6 miles to recover it. It was a completely lucky shot on my part. I dialed 30 MOA on the 7RM and let it rip. Zero wind and very steady shooting position. I didn't have to buy beer for the rest of the trip. I came to my senses and deflated my ego on attempting several 500 yard shots on Javelinas without success.

I took a coyote at 1111 yards off my front porch in central Mt with a 6.5 creed running 42.8 h4350 and 130 Berger. Most of my elk/deer fall within 550 yards. I monkey around 3 ranches that total just under 300,000 acres then there is national forest to play on . I use a 7prc with 175 eldx over 28.8 grains of h1000 . Presently building a 300 prc to . So I've got plenty of time to to fill my tags
Sure you're not running 62.8gn H1000 behind those 175gn ELD-X?

I'm with the Short range guys, it was at 286yds using a 300Wm shooting 165gr
Swift Scirocco on a 8 point whitetail.
Groundhogs out to 590, they are great for practicing.

Sure you're not running 62.8gn H1000 behind those 175gn ELD-X?
Crap- yeah 68.8 grains of h100 , not enough coffee or to much coffee kinda depends on time of day and if I had a happy pill- just had knee surgery 5 days ago!

Longest = 488 yds w/ a 6.5 PRC - 143 EDLM - Mule Deer Buck
Shortest = 3yds - 300 Win - Whitetail Buck ( I was in Treestand)
Shortest shots maybe cooler than the longest!

I've got a super cool "shortest" story … years ago I brought a buddy hunting with me and let him borrow a 300 win mag of mine, with 200 grain Accubond hand loads I had made.

We were in the Grand Mesa, and he ventures into the dark timber. Some other hunters shot at a herd a long ways above us on the mountain and set the herd in motion.

He was behind a medium sized evergreen that he could see through and saw the herd moving (they had slowed down at this point). He was trying to figure out how to push his gun through the evergreen to get a shot at a good 6x6 about 50 yards away, and he didn't realize the game trail the elk were on wound around to his immediate left.

So the cows start moving on the game trail, and they all funnel about 5 feet to his left, but his gun is now in the right side of the tree and he's sorta stuck with his rifle in the tree and now the bull is standing on the trail about 10 feet away on the other side of the tree.

He's ****ed because he can't shoot it and can't move without spooking the bull… and as the bull starts up again and is about to pass him just feet away on the left, he rips the rifle out of the tree, left hand on the rear of the stock, lunges with the rifle pointed at the chest of the elk and pulls the trigger with the barrel literally a few inches from its chest.

Perfect shot from a few inches without even looking through the scope. Bull ran downhill a dozen yards and piled up. Exploded the heart. Bullet did not exit, and buckets of blood shot out the entrance wound as it ran its final steps.

My shortest is about 9 yards with 338 ultra mag.

My longest is 1130 yards with the same rifle.

Shortest shots maybe cooler than the longest!

I've got a super cool "shortest" story … years ago I brought a buddy hunting with me and let him borrow a 300 win mag of mine, with 200 grain Accubond hand loads I had made.

We were in the Grand Mesa, and he ventures into the dark timber. Some other hunters shot at a herd a long ways above us on the mountain and set the herd in motion.

He was behind a medium sized evergreen that he could see through and saw the herd moving (they had slowed down at this point). He was trying to figure out how to push his gun through the evergreen to get a shot at a good 6x6 about 50 yards away, and he didn't realize the game trail the elk were on wound around to his immediate left.

So the cows start moving on the game trail, and they all funnel about 5 feet to his left, but his gun is now in the right side of the tree and he's sorta stuck with his rifle in the tree and now the bull is standing on the trail about 10 feet away on the other side of the tree.

He's ****ed because he can't shoot it and can't move without spooking the bull… and as the bull starts up again and is about to pass him just feet away on the left, he rips the rifle out of the tree, left hand on the rear of the stock, lunges with the rifle pointed at the chest of the elk and pulls the trigger with the barrel literally a few inches from its chest.

Perfect shot from a few inches without even looking through the scope. Bull ran downhill a dozen yards and piled up. Exploded the heart. Bullet did not exit, and buckets of blood shot out the entrance wound as it ran its final steps.

My shortest is about 9 yards with 338 ultra mag.

My longest is 1130 yards with the same rifle.
That's incredible 😂

My grandpa had a coastal blacktail play chicken with him once, resulting in a similar outcome. He was driving a logging road and saw a buck, and jumped out and shot it from about 40 yards. Double lung, no heart or bone. The buck bolted and ran out into the timber uphill briefly, then circled around and came down to the logging road my grandpa was standing on, and started hoofing it hard down the road right towards the rig.

After realizing the deer was in pure panic mode and would run him over in a heartbeat, my grandpa stepped behind the truck to let the deer pass, and as it did so he lit another round off from about 6". Caught a corner of a shoulder and the heart this time and rolled it right there on the road.