What’s the farthest you have taken a big game animal with a rifle?

Shortest shots maybe cooler than the longest!

I've got a super cool "shortest" story … years ago I brought a buddy hunting with me and let him borrow a 300 win mag of mine, with 200 grain Accubond hand loads I had made.

We were in the Grand Mesa, and he ventures into the dark timber. Some other hunters shot at a herd a long ways above us on the mountain and set the herd in motion.

He was behind a medium sized evergreen that he could see through and saw the herd moving (they had slowed down at this point). He was trying to figure out how to push his gun through the evergreen to get a shot at a good 6x6 about 50 yards away, and he didn't realize the game trail the elk were on wound around to his immediate left.

So the cows start moving on the game trail, and they all funnel about 5 feet to his left, but his gun is now in the right side of the tree and he's sorta stuck with his rifle in the tree and now the bull is standing on the trail about 10 feet away on the other side of the tree.

He's ****ed because he can't shoot it and can't move without spooking the bull… and as the bull starts up again and is about to pass him just feet away on the left, he rips the rifle out of the tree, left hand on the rear of the stock, lunges with the rifle pointed at the chest of the elk and pulls the trigger with the barrel literally a few inches from its chest.

Perfect shot from a few inches without even looking through the scope. Bull ran downhill a dozen yards and piled up. Exploded the heart. Bullet did not exit, and buckets of blood shot out the entrance wound as it ran its final steps.

My shortest is about 9 yards with 338 ultra mag.

My longest is 1130 yards with the same rifle.
EPIC!!

I remember my father and I were calling coyotes early in the season after a front moved out. They were hungry, dumb and coming hard. On our second or third stand of the morning this dog came in hard to my dads left side. The dog had made him and was on the brakes backpedaling, with wide eyes and that doomed look lol. Dirt came over my dads feet as he moved his mini 14 slightly to the left and and touched one off from the hip, as the coyote was all but touching the muzzle. Maybe a lot of luck, but that was one dead coyote.

What's a water Turkey?
IMG_3307.jpeg
IMG_3306.jpeg