Weighted Pack

Pilot,
Agree with you about weight training because I've lifted for decades, first at a gym, next with my own free weights and a versatile bench at home and finally with a complete Bowflex machine which I still use. So I do know the difference between healthy weight lifting with slow 3-count reps and over-weghting with "thrown" weights and I'm betting you do too as you mention "smart training".

You may lift well within your capacity and that's OK. Your advice to also use hiking with a weighted pack is good B/C that can't be duplicated well, even on a treadmill, which I'm forced to do in the summer months due to Las Vegas' extreme heat. In those summer months I try to get to the mountains at 8,000 to 10,000 feet but that's an hour's drive one way. The altitude is good training, even if only done once a week.
Hard to beat field training with a weighted pack on your back. The weight training builds muscle and strength but the muscles used often in carrying a heavy pack over terrain and inclines aren't hit directly when training with weights or even on a treadmill or jogging. Carrying a weighted pack on similar hikes and climbs mimics the actual hunt scenario and will best prepare someone for that experience. Coupled with weight training is the perfect training regiment.

One of my favorite coaches likes to say "squats aren't bad for your knees, the way YOU squat is bad for your knees..."
I have a leg press/ hack squat machine. I do fairly light squats then follow up with hack squats which is a more restricted squat with a weight on track rails. It's a strict form with less chance of injury from bad form. I think most older adults can squat their own body weight with great results. High reps and 5-6 sets would be a great leg workout for most that don't want to build muscle but rather keep good leg conditioning.

CA48
80 pounds for training is about 30 pounds too heavy. You will soon damage your knees and possibly your spinal column unless it is a frame pack and you are using a very good padded hip belt with 80% of the weight on that belt.

Your muscles will take 80 lbs. but your joints will not.

Eric B.
As mentioned I just do 80 before a hunt. I agree it's probably a little to much for the joints. But not having many hills around 50 pounds feels to easy like I'm not getting much of a workout sometimes. I use a mystery ranch crew cab 7500 with the smart frame which puts the weight on your hips not your back. They don't make this pack anymore. Comparing my buddies packs and even the new mystery ranch packs it has the thickest padding I've ever seen personally on any pack, very comfortable with heavy loads.

As mentioned I just do 80 before a hunt. I agree it's probably a little to much for the joints. But not having many hills around 50 pounds feels to easy like I'm not getting much of a workout sometimes. I use a mystery ranch crew cab 7500 with the smart frame which puts the weight on your hips not your back. They don't make this pack anymore. Comparing my buddies packs and even the new mystery ranch packs it has the thickest padding I've ever seen personally on any pack, very comfortable with heavy loads.
I think to use an 80lb number is too general. For many younger backpack hunters and even older very fit and strong backpackers, 80 lbs isn't a weight that will do damage to joints. Especially when those same people train before those trips and even year long doing resistance training and weight training. Even for me, 80lbs isn't a weight that is hard on my joints. Training my whole life has really helped my knees and other joints from injury. Tendon strength and muscle built around those areas protects them well. There's a weight that IS too heavy for each person and when training, you'll know what number that is. Stay 20-25% under that number. That will keep joints safe from incline training and unstable terrain. I have a breakaway pack that I can drop instantly if I get into a situation that I need to unload weight. It's a homemade invention that's saved me from back injury when terrain causes a slip or body twist torque scenario. My hunting pack weight isn't nearly as heavy as what I train with.

I agree, everyone is an individual and won't be able to lift or pack the same weight as the next person. I have buddies that are over 200lbs and train with packs in the 100-120lb range. It's like people that tell you squatting heavy is bad for your knees. When I was 16 I was 5'9" 173lbs squatting 500 but haven't maxed since then. Now I'm about 180 in my 30s but never work out with more than 350lbs on squat. Although I haven't worked out much in the past 6 months so that weight has dropped significantly. Lifting heavy builds tendon strength and muscle around joints, maxing out whether rucking or weightlifting will be hard on them, no need to wreck your body. But 80lbs is not a strain on some individuals like it can be for others.

I agree, everyone is an individual and won't be able to lift or pack the same weight as the next person. I have buddies that are over 200lbs and train with packs in the 100-120lb range. It's like people that tell you squatting heavy is bad for your knees. When I was 16 I was 5'9" 173lbs squatting 500 but haven't maxed since then. Now I'm about 180 in my 30s but never work out with more than 350lbs on squat. Although I haven't worked out much in the past 6 months so that weight has dropped significantly. Lifting heavy builds tendon strength and muscle around joints, maxing out whether rucking or weightlifting will be hard on them, no need to wreck your body. But 80lbs is not a strain on some individuals like it can be for others.
Almost 60, I'm squatting fairly light 225. Starting at 135 for 3 sets of 20. Then 225 for 2 sets of 10. My heavy leg days are behind me also. It's all about reps and keeping it fairly easy on the joints but still building the tendons and muscle around the joints. Treadmill workouts are a must for cardio and endurance training. For me, I need alot more protein oriented foods than I did in my 30s. A lot less carbs and fat foods. Believe me when you get past the mid 40s, keeping muscle and strength is much more work. It's like tying my shoes now so it's an everyday regiment and part of my life. Just requires more work to maintain and keep weigh off and strength and endurance up. My next mountain hunt is October and my pack weight is at 65 lbs right now. It'll max out at around 100 lbs. My actual backpack is only going to be 40-45lbs. Hauling quarters can be upward of 100lbs so that training pays off for hauling meat off the mountain.

The weight training builds muscle and strength but the muscles used often in carrying a heavy pack over terrain and inclines aren't hit directly when training with weights
This is 100% false
You're not working different muscles when you squat, deadlift, clean, swing, snatch, etc....

You're working different energy systems, loading patterns and motor patterns.

Training to improve Absolute Strength and Endurance-Strength in the gym contribute to improving your Strength-Endurance outside of the gym. This carries over to displaying Strength-Endurance and Absolute Endurance in the mountains. It also helps to improve your durability and longevity in the mountains.

Same exact muscles are being worked.

"Everything you do requires a percentage of your Absolute Strength. The stronger you are the easier everything else is.'

I'll put it this way then. Your range of movement or motion isn't the same so using the muscle in different ranges is what happens. For example, running vs skating requires usage of same muscles but range of use is different. Therefore the soreness is greater from that change of muscle range use. Yes I'll say the same muscles are used but in a different way.

Really not an issue as when training for a mountain hunt, I carry a heavy pack in similar conditions and incorporate weight training as well. Seems to get the job done well. Then there's dealing with elevation. A whole different challenge

Indoor spinning versus outside cycling appears to be the same, however going from one and then to the other causes different muscle use...soreness. Same with treadmill use and then to actual hiking. At least for me anyway.

Almost 60, I'm squatting fairly light 225. Starting at 135 for 3 sets of 20. Then 225 for 2 sets of 10. My heavy leg days are behind me also. It's all about reps and keeping it fairly easy on the joints but still building the tendons and muscle around the joints. Treadmill workouts are a must for cardio and endurance training. For me, I need alot more protein oriented foods than I did in my 30s. A lot less carbs and fat foods. Believe me when you get past the mid 40s, keeping muscle and strength is much more work. It's like tying my shoes now so it's an everyday regiment and part of my life. Just requires more work to maintain and keep weigh off and strength and endurance up. My next mountain hunt is October and my pack weight is at 65 lbs right now. It'll max out at around 100 lbs. My actual backpack is only going to be 40-45lbs. Hauling quarters can be upward of 100lbs so that training pays off for hauling meat off the mountain.
Diet is one of the most important factors that people training neglect. I Hope I'm still in as good a shape as you at 60.
Good luck on the hunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.