Weighted Pack

One Hole

I bought a 7 gallon plastic Jerry can on ebay new for about$20. Fits great on eberlestock main frame with the steel shelf. Water is about 8.6lbs per gallon. Easy to add or subtract water. The water sloshes around quite a bit which test your balance on uneven ground. I like this as it's good prep for rough ground. If you don't like it you could use sand. Plus you can water you favorite fruit trees or berry patch and lighten the load on the way down. I do one long distance on level ground one day to work on endurance and do shorter steep ground the next day for cardio. It's easy to keep my target heart rate up on steep ground without the impact of running. Also builds leg and core strength.

Attachments

• KIMG0083.jpg
    KIMG0083.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 414
I loaded a 50lb bag of corn in mine a month ago. Added 2-10lb weights this week. 2 or 5 mile hikes a day. Lot of core work out.

I cut a piece of board to appropriate size for my pack, drilled a hole and bolt barbell plates on it to the desired weight for whatever mood I'm in and go climb hills. I use eberlestock's J107, and made a mock-up rifle of pvc pipe and small plates a little heavier than my LR hunting rifle to go in the scabbard so that the total load is arranged more or less how it ends up during a pack-out with a quarter.

I always carry at least 30 lbs. when hiking in our 'Vegas valley mountains or training on an inclined treadmill at home.

Training with a decent load helps train those back and neck muscles not used when hiking with no pack. If you don't train with a pack you'll have a nasty, sore back for the first few days on a backpack trip.

Eric B.

I have no shortage of different caliber bullets for reloading. It is easy to add or subtract weight with them in bulk boxes.

I made, what I lovingly refer to as, a torture box. It's a carbboard box just the right size (4"x12"x18") that I filled with 5/8" concrete anchor bolts and wrapped with duct tape. It weighs just over 60 lbs. my coworkers and I have been doing stairs 3x a week for 4 weeks now. 30 minutes, 66 flights up and down (6 story building, 11 sets). I'm feeling pretty good!!

I ruck 2 days a week. I have a distance day and a load day
Distance day - Weight is fixed at 80# + water. I'm up to 8mi and over 1,700' of vert

Load day - Distance and vert are fixed at 3.25mi and 700' of vert. Weight increases weekly. I'm up 115# + water

I use a Load Trainer from Rogue Equipment with barbell plates

Last edited:
I have 4 cases of 100 low base shotgun shells laying around. I duct taped the cases up so they stay together and stuff them in my hunting pack + a few courts of water.

I use multiple 10# bags of bird seed from Wally World at $6 a bag. I put each one in a small trash bag just in case I spring a leak.

I use "The MULE" at www.onustraining.com. It's leak-proof, made to go in your hunting pack, easy to adjust the weight as needed, and isn't hard on your pack. I was sick of getting creative with odd objects to get the weight I wanted. They have a max of 100lb bag and a smaller max of 50lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.