• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Watch out for this Scammer

Hey everyone, I got scammed pretty good last week as the result of someone responding to my want to buy ad on Rokslide

Bottom line, look out for a guy using the address and names below. I've already had several others message me saying they got scammed by the same guy on several differrent forums. You can read the whole thread on Rokslide if you want.

Kenneth Dorr or Raymond Brown
65 South Brewer Drive
Brewer, Maine

Venmo handle = Maestrobmc

If you've been scammed by this guy, feel free to reach out to me. I'm working with the Brewer Police Department to try and get this guy.

Stay safe,
Tucker
I too can relate. I was trying to purchase a optic that was priced very good. I contacted the individual to ask if we could me in person and he agreed. He told me to come down so I took off work and went to meet him. He told me that once in town to give him a call. I started trying to get in touch with him 50 miles before town and no success. I sat in the town for 3 hours and trying to get in touch with the individual. There was no response so I headed home. I continued try as I headed home. The next day the individual said that he was sorry that his wife was in the hospital in labor and that was where he was. From my understanding you can't go into the hospital with your wife. So he lowered the price and said that if I send money he would ship the optic. I responded if he could write up a bill of sale with the model and serial number with his address and sign it and send it to me and I will sign it so we both would have a copy. He never responded again.

Hey everyone, I got scammed pretty good last week as the result of someone responding to my want to buy ad on Rokslide

Bottom line, look out for a guy using the address and names below. I've already had several others message me saying they got scammed by the same guy on several differrent forums. You can read the whole thread on Rokslide if you want.

65 South Brewer Drive
Brewer, Maine

If you've been scammed by this guy, feel free to reach out to me. I'm working with the Brewer Police Department to try and get this guy.

Stay safe,
Tucker
Not to mention that I drove 5 hours one way.

Where is this guy located? If he is in Louisiana another name he may have gone by another name also. I wasscammed for $800 a couple years ago. Polite dealer I think.

When buying on this site or another, I only deal with established members that have a good seller/ buyer history. Even then, I go through and read their postings, text back and forth, then hit the phone to ask lots of questions + getting more pictures. Haven't lost money yet.

I have noticed here that lots of members don't have their age or location info on their profile. Also, when selling, others ignore putting user name & date on their pics.

If you post "looking to buy" ads, you're asking the scammers to target you or send you to a non-member that has just what you want.

Len has put up good info on how to protect members, but sometimes we get in a hurry and don't do due diligence prior to shipping off our money to someone we know little about.

Well, he never would have been able to buy a firearm through an FFL or ship one through an FFL. In this case, he never had any intention on selling me anything, so it's kind of a moot point.
That said, this guy is a f'ing criminal and has no regard for the law or other people. If he did, this wouldn't have happened. This is exactly why the dems can pass as many stupid *** gun control bills as they want and it will never do anything to deter crimes....because criminals don't care about the law...

I think I will be contacting the FBI field office in Bangor and at least asking them for some advice on the scenario and see what they recommend.
Not that I want to derail the OPs situation (which unfortunately is all to common these days) but our liberals here in Canada (AKA DUM-O-CRAKS) are doing the same thing. Bill C-21. Instead of upstreaming their attacking law abiding citizens. Stealing property by order in counsel and then change the laws so we'll NEVER be abll to use them again. Or you can sell your gun to the government for half the price (minimum) of its value. This program will cost billions. They should spend that money on gangs and and illicit drugs and guns. Upstream that to social programs to keep vulnerable youth off the streets. Anyway a sad day for all Canadian lawful gun owners.
Really sorry OP to hear of the theft of your money. I'm sure that fella will be back to making plates in prison where he'll be first in line to get the COVID vaccine. Democracy in action.

Very sorry to hear of your being taken advantage of. I read the 'Rokslide' thread. Couple questions:
1) Was the 'certified check' you sent him from your bank?
2) Does the perpetrator live in the same state as you?

Reason why I ask is that your bank should most certainly be able to tell where your check was cashed and/or deposited. I have investigated MANY check fraud/scheme cases and all things being equal they are fairly easy to prosecute.

If the perpetrator also lives in your state then your local LE guys should be able to complete a " Theft by Failure to Make Required Disposition" report (or something along those lines) and since the perpetrators information is known it should be an easy Indictment considering the monetary amount is into felony proportions.
If the perpetrator lives in another state then things get a little weird with jurisdictional boundaries/extradition limitations.
And, to extradite, the Commonwealth Attorney's Office decides if they want to spend the money to do so. And, local authorities may not want to enter a warrant NCIC due to costs associated with going after that felon and returning subject. On the other hand, KY Parole Board will spend the last penny in the state treasure to bring that sorry P.O.S. back!

Is it possible make sales above an amount private where we have to pay a little year to make transactions secure. The transactions would be only available to members who are verified and are in good standing and maybe with legit ip addresses or something similar. I hate to do this too but sooner or later these forms of sales will be illegal or non of us will trust each other. I know there are apps that act as a 3rd party that hold funds similar to how PayPal handles it with out all the fees. I too like the deals that individuals offer and would like to continue to purchase that way. Maybe Len could come up with something?🤷🏻‍♂️

im just throwing out an idea.

Is it possible make sales above an amount private where we have to pay a little year to make transactions secure. The transactions would be only available to members who are verified and are in good standing and maybe with legit ip addresses or something similar. I hate to do this too but sooner or later these forms of sales will be illegal or non of us will trust each other. I know there are apps that act as a 3rd party that hold funds similar to how PayPal handles it with out all the fees. I too like the deals that individuals offer and would like to continue to purchase that way. Maybe Len could come up with something?🤷🏻‍♂️

im just throwing out an idea.
I looked into some of the other apps that are to be somewhat like PayPal and there was not very good reviews as they didn't stand behind transactions and someone that doesn't ship item. According to what I read you should only use the app between family members or someone that you truly know.

65 South Brewer Drive
Brewer, Maine

Stay safe,
Tucker
Thanks for the heads up.