Walkie talkie recommendations

dnb86

Looking into getting a pair of walkie talkies but have 0 knowledge on them and have no clue what to get. I've seen a brand called rocky talkie and have read good reviews on them. They will be used for hunting only and most the hills we hunt vary in elevation up to 1500 ft in difference. So I'd love to hear some recommendations and experiences! Thanks

To legally use the baofeng radios, you need a ham license. It's easy to get, but a hurdle most don't want to deal with. They are good radios and most importantly give you the option to use different antennas. Antennas and antenna height are what make all the difference.

GMRS radios are great also with great range, but are limited by fixed antennas (and also need a license but it's much easier than even the ham license). I have the Midland GXT1050VP4. They are great. Line of sight with some wiggle room is pretty much a radios limitation. The size of that wiggle room is determined by antenna, antenna height, output power, and quality.

What kind of range are you getting ?
These radios are limited by the wattage. You can get ones with higher wattage and extended range antennas.

I am installing fixed units in the side by side and at headquarters. These are higher wattage units.

Handhelds are limited in wattage.

Some recent, further reading on the topic:

Big thumbs up on the rocky talkies. Ive had communication at distances and in deep places i couldnt have imagined. Not sure what pixie dust theyve packed them with to make handheld level wattages reach out that much, but they are great. My buds down in AZ all use them a lot and love them as well.

As TucsonFX4 said line of sight is main limiting factor. If money is no object, satellite phones would be better. Some basic points about walkies in general for novice users. KISS <keep it simple st..> having 250 memory channels can be mind boggling. Minimum priorities of physical unit are: [UHF/VHF]
battery power (more AmpHr better - with weight considerations) & fast charge ability (as lithium or alkaline batteries are a weak point); Transmit 'power' (8 to 10 watts considered adequate high power) and transmitter's mate high quality antenna with line of sight and the receiver's receiver sensitivity with the antenna again; water-resistant (unless in a plastic bag - not h20 proof); NOAA weather good to have; other lesser impacting things...
Have a plan on channel usage with respect to frequencies predetermined. For example: A (primary), B (if 2 or more channels/frequencies can be monitored), and C (backup on the odd hour) & D (even hour if all else fails). Find out if local ARRL/ham folks have a repeater frequency(ies) available for emergencies, with antenna on a nearby mountain.
Or if you have a base camp where you can set up a repeater with a big high antenna and have battery backups for overnight charging. A 2nd battery for each walkie & an extra walkie for replacement. For example the BAOFENG GM-15 Pro has a repeater capability & more.
I know I said KISS and went long winded.

We love mountain snowmobiling and get in some wicked areas. The brand we go with is Oxbow, great range rechargeable battery last for days, and they are water and dirt resistant and will take whatever you throw at them. They have a great warranty, been running ours going on 5 seasons not a single issue with 4 units.