Walkie talkie recommendations

FRS,(Family Radio Service) radios are fine for short range communications. GMRS, General Radio Mobile Service will give you 5 Watt handheld radios and up to 50 watt mobile radios. GMRS Radios require a license. The license is not difficult to obtain. The license now is issued for 10 years and is very easy to renew online.
A better option would be to get an Amateur Radio Technicians License. This is also known as HAM radio. A Technicians license would require minimal study but the payoff is worth it. You would receive privileges to operate both VHF/UHF FM Amateur bands , not just a limited number of specific channels on GMRS.
You can use 5 WATT high quality hand held radios and higher power mobile units 25/50 70 watts Plus . The main advantage of having a HAM Technicians License is that you will have access to Amateur Radio Repeaters which are all over the USA . There are also additional operating privileges on the 10 meter Ham band that come with a Technicians License..
I got my first Ham License in order to provide emergency communication for my sons and I when we were hunting a fairly remote area of Montana that had no cell service. The use of VHF/UHF Amateur Repeaters allowed me to have communications in remote mountain areas via the repeater network in the area and in addition to make telephone calls from the repeater . Since that time I became involved in Amateur radio is it is an interesting hobby. It dovetailed perfectly with wilderness trekking hunting.

You could go the CB route. Uncle Jessie, Bo, Luke and Daisy approved!

Car battery on top of the fridge powers the unit at headquarters!
Fifty years ago, we used CBs at 5watt max. They worked fairly reliably across town ( 2mi x 2 mi), but were unpredictable/unreliable at longer ranges. Though I will say that I was involved in two rescues initiated by distress calls on CB at distances of 7 mi (line of sight transmission) and 30 mi (over mountains). The problem was skip intensity, some times it was so loud as to drown out even local traffic. Sometimes you'd hear some Peruvian fisherman out at sea west of his country. CB was hit or miss then due to so much use. DK about now.

We also use the Baefong at the ranch. You can buy a portable repeater that greatly extends the range if you're primarily in a fixed location.
I haven't heard of the repeater being available.
Do you happen to have a link?
I have been thinking about getting some of the Baefong radios but I would like to have the most distance I can get

Fifty years ago, we used CBs at 5watt max. They worked fairly reliably across town ( 2mi x 2 mi), but were unpredictable/unreliable at longer ranges. Though I will say that I was involved in two rescues initiated by distress calls on CB at distances of 7 mi (line of sight transmission) and 30 mi (over mountains). The problem was skip intensity, some times it was so loud as to drown out even local traffic. Sometimes you'd hear some Peruvian fisherman out at sea west of his country. CB was hit or miss then due to so much use. DK about now.
I have a bunch of CB's and you are right it's pretty hit or miss with what I have experienced.

Looking into getting a pair of walkie talkies but have 0 knowledge on them and have no clue what to get. I've seen a brand called rocky talkie and have read good reviews on them. They will be used for hunting only and most the hills we hunt vary in elevation up to 1500 ft in difference. So I'd love to hear some recommendations and experiences! Thanks
Has anybody have or had experience with Rapid Radios. i see advertised all over social media. suppose to work across the U.S

Just a word of caution. The reason that handhelds are limited to 5 watts maximum is because of concerns for damage to the user's brain from the higher output transmissions adjacent to your brain with the handheld units. Some Chinese units claim to have higher than 5 watts. I'm not sure if they really have higher than 5 watts, but they should be avoided.

Regarding CB's, I worked in logging for 5 years (2017-2022) and we had CB's in all equipment, log trucks, and rock trucks. Even with built in units and properly installed and tuned antennae, the CB's were hit and miss to an astonishing degree. With minimal cloud cover and line of sight, you could reach out several miles. But on twisty logging roads in heavy timber (where you really need it, so you don't run into a loaded log truck coming downhill) range would cut down to 1/4-1/2 mile in some places. Which isn't a long time if both parties are driving towards each other.

Looking into getting a pair of walkie talkies but have 0 knowledge on them and have no clue what to get. I've seen a brand called rocky talkie and have read good reviews on them. They will be used for hunting only and most the hills we hunt vary in elevation up to 1500 ft in difference. So I'd love to hear some recommendations and experiences! Thanks
Great thread. I am really enjoying Bill Summers. Thanks for starting this thread.

Above there's a comment about too many 'channels' etc on some of the option (Baofengs, etc.). I'll repeat what I posted in the thread that I linked above. I have 6 loaner Baofeng's that I have programmed all the same, with only 4 channels. No more than that are likely to ever be needed in normal use. I normally lock the channel setting before handing them out, but if a user does manage to change the channel they don't have to go very far to find the one in use again.

Was using Midlands but now use the Baofeng UV-5Rs. Nice radios and impressed by the quality, even though they're made in China. Took me about 10 minutes to get a certificate to operate via an online test.
What radio service was the online test for? Was there a fee?
As TucsonFX4 said line of sight is main limiting factor. If money is no object, satellite phones would be better. Some basic points about walkies in general for novice users. KISS <keep it simple st..> having 250 memory channels can be mind boggling.
As suggested by @ntsqd above, most radios can be programmed to lock out all frequencies except a choice few. Limiting things to one or two each VHF & UHF frequencies will definitely keep things simple. I have a few spare handheld radios that I have programmed three two-way frequencies + the local NWS transmitter into and the radio is otherwise locked. I can hand these out, give inexperienced operators minimal instructions and expect relatively trouble/confusion free operation.
Minimum priorities of physical unit are: [UHF/VHF]
battery power (more AmpHr better - with weight considerations) & fast charge ability (as lithium or alkaline batteries are a weak point); Transmit 'power' (8 to 10 watts considered adequate high power) and transmitter's mate high quality antenna with line of sight and the receiver's receiver sensitivity with the antenna again; water-resistant (unless in a plastic bag - not h20 proof); NOAA weather good to have; other lesser impacting things...
Have a plan on channel usage with respect to frequencies predetermined. For example: A (primary), B (if 2 or more channels/frequencies can be monitored), and C (backup on the odd hour) & D (even hour if all else fails). Find out if local ARRL/ham folks have a repeater frequency(ies) available for emergencies, with antenna on a nearby mountain.
Or if you have a base camp where you can set up a repeater with a big high antenna and have battery backups for overnight charging. A 2nd battery for each walkie & an extra walkie for replacement. For example the BAOFENG GM-15 Pro has a repeater capability & more.
I know I said KISS and went long winded.
All very good info!!
Above there's a comment about too many 'channels' etc on some of the option (Baofengs, etc.). I'll repeat what I posted in the thread that I linked above. I have 6 loaner Baofeng's that I have programmed all the same, with only 4 channels. No more than that are likely to ever be needed in normal use. I normally lock the channel setting before handing them out, but if a user does manage to change the channel they don't have to go very far to find the one in use again.
Yup, great idea! I'm doing almost the same thing with some VX-7r HTs.