Vortex lht comments?

I really like the 4x16 HST I have. It dials right on but it's been back to Vortex once. The power ring was so tight I was barely able to rotate the power ring. They loosened it up a little but I still had to put a throw lever on it in order to rotate it. Other than that I like the scope although it's too heavy. I also have a Razor 27x60x85 spotting scope and it's been back to Vortex too for a broken rotational ring. The glass isn't as good as expected and I wish I'd bought a Swarovski spotting scope instead! The Vortex warranty is a great one but I feel it has to be used too often.

I'm not a big fan of Vortex but I have 5 of them. The 5x25x56 Stike Eagle (got with factory discount and vortex bucks for $145.00) on 300 WM has been good. The 6x24x50 Stike Eagle on 6.5 Needmoor has been good but no recoil. The 6x24x50 Viper hst on a 6.5 PRC and 6.5 creed Encore barrels have been good. I like them least. BUT... I found a sale on the Viper PST Gen II 5x35x50 for over $450.00 off. I put it on my 257 Weatherby. Without a brake I had about 100 rounds through it. Worked well. I had barrel threaded and installed a micro bastard on it. I have four of them on rifles. I put barreled action back in stock. Shot it at 100 yds. It was still dead center but 3 in. High instead of 2 in. I adjusted down. 3 shots about 3/8 in. I called it good. Never took rifle out until I went whitetail hunting a week later. Never bumped scope, dropped, nada. Had a shot a nice buck at 97 yds. Missed 😬 got on him in the trees. No more than 100 yds. broadside again. Missed ! I said WTH ? After that he grouped up with the does and couldn't get a shot and they took off. Couple days later I shot it on target. It was 10 in. high and 10 in. left !!! WTH ? I got it zeroed. Rings and mounts were tight and were loctited. Stock torqued correctly. I called Vortex Customer service and explained. He said I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your scope. He told me to check all that I already did. Told him have done. I wasn't very happy. I guess we'll see what happens . I've returned one Viper hst scope and a Viper spotting scope a few years ago. I've never had any problems with all my Leupold or Burris scopes. I have two Athlon's the cheaper one I returned for parallax problem. Got new one and it wont adjust past 700 yards. The other is a 4.5x27x50 I think Midas something 2nd fp. I like it a lot and have had no problems with it. It's on a 6.5x284.

Last edited:
I really like the 4x16 HST I have. It dials right on but it's been back to Vortex once. The power ring was so tight I was barely able to rotate the power ring. They loosened it up a little but I still had to put a throw lever on it in order to rotate it. Other than that I like the scope although it's too heavy. I also have a Razor 27x60x85 spotting scope and it's been back to Vortex too for a broken rotational ring. The glass isn't as good as expected and I wish I'd bought a Swarovski spotting scope instead! The Vortex warranty is a great one but I feel it has to be used too often.
Yea I hear you on that. I have 2 psts and I had to put throw levers on because how tight the power rings are

I think I'm leaning NF NX8 since I've never had one and really really want one. And hear nothing but good things
I just went down this road for a 270WSM I just built and I ended up with a NX8 as its glass was just that much better and they just work all the time.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Trijicon Tenmile or Credo either, I run these on my non magnum rifles and they are awesome.

Another good choice is the Bushnell Elite LRHS-2, sold exclusively by GA Precision for $959. Probably one of the best scopes in the price range with great features and is lightweight. I run this on my 65PRC and also my 7WSM. I'd buy this before I put that Vortex on my rifle.

Last edited:
I own both the shorty NX8 and the shorty mk5. Both ate built fantastic but I struggled with the NX8 in a few categories. At times I found the eye box quite tight, significantly less color separation compared to the mk5, and I've always struggled with nightforce reticle options.

Long story short, come tax season my brother is buying the NX8 from me and I'll have another mk5.

1712577226834.png

This particular graphic is probably a little dated but it was the easiest to find for posting. It is dedicated to the PRS shooting aspects.

Not necessarily for the hunters but they do make several, more for the extreme Target shooters, you will not find any better top quality riflescopes than those created by March. Yes, they are expensive but when the targets approach those distances greater than 1,500 yards, you need all the help you can get.

https://marchscopes.com/quality/

I have the 10-60 and the 8-80 but I'm saving for the Genesis.

When Vortex entered into the U.S. market, they did so aggressively and still push the market with their product support. I was able to buy several of the PST scopes at a corporate discount. The unfortunate part of this was that the quality of the glass was not up to the hype. I returned 4 of the 5 scopes but kept one for comparisons. We also bought 12 of their spotting scopes for a major competition and not one of those was satisfactory for that job. We bought these outright, not supported by Vortex. All were returned.

Bushnell has been a favorite in the tactical competitions with the 3-21x DMR3.

Enjoy the search!

There warranty his better then nightforce someone had fire and vortec warranty theirs nightforce wouldn't
I just can't get my head around this sentiment. I've read the whole thread on it awhile back too...
My recliner is under warranty but if it goes up in a fire should I expect lazy boy to send me a new one??

The scopes you have listed are in totally different leagues.
I've been team Leupold forever on short range needs. Got a LHT and loved the reticle. Glass was great but had a different tone or color transmission. I prefer the Leupold only because I am used to it. The non working illumination was a complete let down. Firedots just work and are automatic.

Nightforce. Yup dialing magic, hard to get behind and I have bought and sold all versions except the Atacer. Never owned.

Trijicon Credo HX is what is on my elk rifle. Dials, dependable and very good glass. Won't fail on a remote hunt and the illumination while excellent probably won't be needed the reticle size of the crosshairs is excellent!

I just can't get my head around this sentiment. I've read the whole thread on it awhile back too...
My recliner is under warranty but if it goes up in a fire should I expect lazy boy to send me a new one??

The scopes you have listed are in totally different leagues.
I've been team Leupold forever on short range needs. Got a LHT and loved the reticle. Glass was great but had a different tone or color transmission. I prefer the Leupold only because I am used to it. The non working illumination was a complete let down. Firedots just work and are automatic.

Nightforce. Yup dialing magic, hard to get behind and I have bought and sold all versions except the Atacer. Never owned.

Trijicon Credo HX is what is on my elk rifle. Dials, dependable and very good glass. Won't fail on a remote hunt and the illumination while excellent probably won't be needed the reticle size of the crosshairs is excellent!

As with all topic such as this, you can rely on one idea:

Opinions and experience vary. There's no way around this since we all have different ideas about what works for us under what circumstances and at what price point. Everyone's opinion is valid no matter what yours is because we have different needs and experiences.

Enjoy!

😊

I had an lht

Pros:
  1. glass is very good
  2. the reticle I really liked for mixed eastern and some western hunting (very easy to see in woods/brush etc)

Cons:
  1. the parallax and magnification are extremely stiff and hard to use, pretty much impossible under freezing when I needed to shoot a buck.
  2. My rifle slid off a tree leaned up by the muzzle and my zero shifted .4ml left and high. It continued to hold zero from that spot and track fine after this but that's a no go for me.

I now use a credo 2.5-15 and prefer it. Glass isn't quite as contrasty which is fine, resolution is still there and so is low light ability. Have dropped it numerous times with no shifts. Trust it more.

Trijicon, nightforce, Swfa, Schmidt, bushy elite for me now. Though that maven rs1.2 looks interesting too.

I've seen a lot of negatives regarding the Razor LHT line. I've beaten on a couple of FFP Viper HSLR's enough to trust them on my hunting rifles. One rode for 6 miles in an ATV trailer that went fully airborne on more than one occasion with no POI shift. That gave me a lot of confidence in my setup.

View attachment 562051

This particular graphic is probably a little dated but it was the easiest to find for posting. It is dedicated to the PRS shooting aspects.

Not necessarily for the hunters but they do make several, more for the extreme Target shooters, you will not find any better top quality riflescopes than those created by March. Yes, they are expensive but when the targets approach those distances greater than 1,500 yards, you need all the help you can get.

https://marchscopes.com/quality/

I have the 10-60 and the 8-80 but I'm saving for the Genesis.

When Vortex entered into the U.S. market, they did so aggressively and still push the market with their product support. I was able to buy several of the PST scopes at a corporate discount. The unfortunate part of this was that the quality of the glass was not up to the hype. I returned 4 of the 5 scopes but kept one for comparisons. We also bought 12 of their spotting scopes for a major competition and not one of those was satisfactory for that job. We bought these outright, not supported by Vortex. All were returned.

Bushnell has been a favorite in the tactical competitions with the 3-21x DMR3.

Enjoy the search!
When it comes to PRS shooters, is a lot of the gear they use as sponsors? I am asking because I had read that before, I do not follow PRS, so I have no real idea.