Vortex lht comments?

Had a 3-15x Mil Model SFP

Great glass. Love the reticle, 19 oz…but I sold it to buy a different brand scope in FFP

If they made a 3-15x FFP model…they'd make a buzillion dollars off of them.

I have had a couple lht's, both 3-15x 42. One is the original I got in 2017 and then one newer version as well. I have put them through the paces and they have done well by me. I cannot say the same for the viper series. Every viper I have been near has gone back for warranty. The lht tracks well and is very clear. I like the reticle a lot and the eye relief is lenient. I swap optics around constantly and usually only keep a scope for a couple years, but I have held on to the lht.
Great to hear

I have had one Vortex scope. A 4-16x44 Viper HST. It was not a bad scope. It tracked great but the glass should have been better. I got a lot of hazing and general lack of clarity when compared to a Zeiss V4 or an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2. I was disappointed since I think Vortex is a great company. I have a set of their binos and a rangefinder and happy with those but I will not be buying one of their scopes again. If I want a scope in a similar price point (aka Made in China), it will be an Athlon.

I have a LHT 4.5-22 30mm FFP and it is great. I also have an NX8 4-32 FFP. There is definitely an upgrade in glass/clarity when you go with the NX8. When testing loads at the range I tend to just grab the rifle with the NX8 to spot groups. The NX8 is definitely heavier, but for the 1500 or so the LHT is you get a decent, quality optic. If you can spare the extra 600 or so go with the NX8.

For durability and reliability of tracking and return to zero Nightforce every time.

I have all 3 of the scopes you are considering. The Nightforce is just boring, in a good way it does what I expect it to do every single time.

The jury is still out on the LHT. I have the 4.5-22 model. I've had terrible experience with Vortex scopes in the past; maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. So far it's been good, but there's always that doubt in the back of my mind.

I have 2 Mark 5 scopes. I've had them for 3-5 years each and so far they haven't had any major failures. I do find that I have to adjust zero form time to time, only .1-.2 mil, but it's still there. I REALLY want them to be good scopes because everything else about them I really like. But I can't say I have 100% confidence in them.

My NX8 and ATACR on my big heavy recoiling rifles have never let me down in any way.

I have several of them and classify them as the best rounded hunting scope out there. Saying that, when they jacked the price up, as everything has…it's gotten harder to buy them. I haven't paid over $900 for any of them and won't (I've bought a couple used). That's their value point in my opinion.

The one time I sent one back they swore nothing was wrong, I had a base loose (brain dead on my part). You hear so much about them laying down I assumed, and it did exactly what assuming does. I looked like an ***.

In short, great scopes…good zero stop, I like the locking turret, absolutely love the dot, weight is good at 19oz, never had any trouble from the illumination except when I forget to check the battery.

Saying all of that, if you're a guy that can break an anvil…you know the type, I have good friends like this…this isn't the scope for you, buy the NF.

Good luck…I'd love to try a Tract, but the color and the weight on a comparable scope is almost 10oz heavier…did I mention Joe much I like the dot? ;) March is a good alternative but at 2x the price. LHT is a tough scope to beat.

Personally, I've had good experiences with Vortex optics, but I've also heard great things about Leupold and Nightforce from friends who swear by them. It might be worth checking out some reviews and maybe even getting some hands-on time if you can.

For durability and reliability of tracking and return to zero Nightforce every time.

I have all 3 of the scopes you are considering. The Nightforce is just boring, in a good way it does what I expect it to do every single time.

The jury is still out on the LHT. I have the 4.5-22 model. I've had terrible experience with Vortex scopes in the past; maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. So far it's been good, but there's always that doubt in the back of my mind.

I have 2 Mark 5 scopes. I've had them for 3-5 years each and so far they haven't had any major failures. I do find that I have to adjust zero form time to time, only .1-.2 mil, but it's still there. I REALLY want them to be good scopes because everything else about them I really like. But I can't say I have 100% confidence in them.

My NX8 and ATACR on my big heavy recoiling rifles have never let me down in any way.
I think I'm leaning NF NX8 since I've never had one and really really want one. And hear nothing but good things

I have had one Vortex scope. A 4-16x44 Viper HST. It was not a bad scope. It tracked great but the glass should have been better. I got a lot of hazing and general lack of clarity when compared to a Zeiss V4 or an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2. I was disappointed since I think Vortex is a great company. I have a set of their binos and a rangefinder and happy with those but I will not be buying one of their scopes again. If I want a scope in a similar price point (aka Made in China), it will be an Athlon.
See that's what I like about them too as a company they are pretty cool. But you are right the clarity isn't all there until you buy one of their super high end scopes

I have a LHT 4.5-22 30mm FFP and it is great. I also have an NX8 4-32 FFP. There is definitely an upgrade in glass/clarity when you go with the NX8. When testing loads at the range I tend to just grab the rifle with the NX8 to spot groups. The NX8 is definitely heavier, but for the 1500 or so the LHT is you get a decent, quality optic. If you can spare the extra 600 or so go with the NX8.
That's speaks volumes though if you use the NF to spot lol

I have shot the Vortex's offerings in the Viper PST, Razor LH and Razor LHT 3-5 offerings. They are okay scopes and I had no problems with any of them. However, all of my hunting rifles either wear a Mark 5 or ATACR. If this is going to be a rifle you'll keep for the rest of your life and a "trophy" rifle of sorts, I would recommend saving or going for a scope that will last a lifetime.

I have shot the Vortex's offerings in the Viper PST, Razor LH and Razor LHT 3-5 offerings. They are okay scopes and I had no problems with any of them. However, all of my hunting rifles either wear a Mark 5 or ATACR. If this is going to be a rifle you'll keep for the rest of your life and a "trophy" rifle of sorts, I would recommend saving or going for a scope that will last a lifetime.

Yes I agree and in most cases the LHTs are about and or slightly over 1000$. Wouldn't be hard to wait a little longer for a better scope. Buy once cry once

Recent Posts