Varget -CFE 223- 6.5 Staball or something else.

Idahobuckeye

I'm looking for info on what May be the best powder for the following calibers 243 , 223 and 22-250. I want to buy a jug before the election. I mostly shoot light bullets in them for predators as fast as I can get them accurately. My priority is the 22-250 going fast with 50-65 gr bullets. I think varget may be the best all around but slower in the 22-250 and 223 than say staball or cfe 223. Barrel life is not really a concern. Would love to get other opinion or info maybe there is something I'm missing. Thank you!!

I'm looking for info on what May be the best powder for the following calibers 243 , 223 and 22-250. I want to buy a jug before the election. I mostly shoot light bullets in them for predators as fast as I can get them accurately. My priority is the 22-250 going fast with 50-65 gr bullets. I think varget may be the best all around but slower in the 22-250 and 223 than say staball or cfe 223. Barrel life is not really a concern. Would love to get other opinion or info maybe there is something I'm missing. Thank you!!
As with anything else, YMMV. Specifying bullet brands will help narrow the options and yield more relevant responses.

Staying with light bullets,temp insensitive,winter, summer and run very well in progressives machines...Benchmark.
what kind of speed would one expect to get from benchmark. I'm Normally not a speed freak on my bigger calibers but when we call and you don't have time to range or dial the faster/flatter the better. We do not save hides. Say with a 55BT

I'd probably say Varget for versatility. I've never found it the best powder for any 1 of my rifles, but it is very versatile.
Agreed it's not the fastest but shoots good in about everything I've tried. My 53 vmax and 22-250 did not like it but I just swapped on a new custom barrel so may try it again. I also like I can shoot my 308 with it too

1.) H-4895 IF YOU CAN FIND IT
2.) Varget
3.) CFE-223-

TAC works in the 22-250 and .223 . Haven't tried it in .243 yet. Been kind of looking for thar universal powder myself. Just tried it in the 22-250 recently and was mildly impressed. Cleaner than CFE223 which is nice for gas guns.

Varget if for no other reason than is easily traded for something else down the road if necessary. It's also temp stable and available at many places. H380 is another good 22-250 powder but it's about as stable as a ****ed off teenager.

I'd say buy a couple #8 jugs of varget and never look back.

That's my reasoning on the post…. I use 4895 now haven't seen it at a reasonable price in a few years and I'm going to be out soon. So I agree but unfortunately going to probably switch.
With your cartridges you probably need at least two powders if you can't get H-4895.
H-4895-CFE223 for .204Ruger, .223 Rem, .22-50, .243Win
H-4350 for .243 Win and all your .308Win size cartridges Plus Mags like WSM

Varget is versatile and sought after so good for trades or sale.

We started stocking up on 12 of the most versatile powders since Slick Willy got in office. I figure that I have at least 10 + more good years to reload and most likely will never need buy any more powder or Primers or Bullets again unless it is a really good deal. Will have enough Stock left over to sell in 10-15 years for Retirement funds! Ten -Fifteen years in the future Bullets/Brass/Primers/Powder should be selling at HIGH prices.
Powder and Primers will last a very LONG TIME as long as it is stored properly.
BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT-THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!.

I keep saying that we are done buying components.
well, several days ago we found a deal on BR4 Primers so we bought 10K and a deal on .204SBK so bought 5K then last night bought 200 pieces of Brass - Lapua 6.5X284.
I am going to STOP BUYING- I SWEAR!!!

Last edited: