US forest issues kill order for feral cows in New Mexico

Got that, but they had to come from some where at some point in tim
If they've been feral for years, that's some good meat with no growth hormones added just like Elk and Venison.

No hormones, antibiotics, red dye, fat, cholesterol, styrofoam or Saran wrap. 😉
I would guess they could of been cattle from near by Indian reservation or somebody had a grazing lease and never found them all when rounded up. ???
The news articles specified the cattle are from a out of business ranch over 50 years ago. There's a lot of information online about this as it's not a new problem. NM Cattle ranching association has tried to herd these up already and have failed. Think of the cattle you're going to try and herd up like trying to herd up 150 elk. If I'm not mistaken they've been hunted before and something like only 5 were harvested. I may be mistaken though. Also there's a updated article out there today that the cattle association also filed a motion for tomorrow's shooting to be halted.

Don't ya think a few have grand visions of hunting down one of these rogue cattle, ending up after the hunt, with State Reserve Champion market steer, in the freezer. In reality the critter they might end up with, gonna look a bit, more like something out of the steer roping pen in Cheyenne, after Frontier Days.

They look like normal cattle just a little short legged maybe.

There has never been a hunt "legally" for these cattle. A hunt wouldn't touch the population because hardly anyone would do it.

You can easily get with in shooting range of them, they aren't hard to hunt. The bulls come bellering through your camp at night on there way to water. Getting to them is the kicker. These cattle have been free for the taking for the last 50 years. There is a reason why they are still there.

If they've been feral for years, that's some good meat with no growth hormones added just like Elk and Venison.
Elk and "venison" are way way better than range beef. Cows need to be in a small pen eating corn or grain for a while to be "beef". The reason they are still there is because nobody is willing to pack them out of there, only to get a bunch of dog food,

Elk and "venison" are way way better than range beef. Cows need to be in a small pen eating corn or grain for a while to be "beef". The reason they are still there is because nobody is willing to pack them out of there, only to get a bunch of dog food,
Our ancestors ate it. If you're hungry enough you'll eat just about anything.

Good point!!!!!!! buzzards have to eat also............
Excited Golden Retriever GIF by MOODMAN
Break out the grinder and make some burger.

I was in oil and gas exploration in the gulf of Mexico for about 10 yrs. We would helo fly over South Venice LA marsh land. There was hundreds of wild cattle on the tiny frog islands south of Venice, They would swim from island to island and were thriving... It is pretty crazy to think about.

I was in oil and gas exploration in the gulf of Mexico for about 10 yrs. We would helo fly over South Venice LA marsh land. There was hundreds of wild cattle on the tiny frog islands south of Venice, They would swim from island to island and were thriving... It is pretty crazy to think about.
Not something we would want happening in National Forests in trophy Elk and Mule deer country.

The King Ranch in Texas got it's start from rounding up wild cattle and branding them. Those cowboys were bad @$$. I brand calves every spring on the ranch my friend owns. I can not imagine branding those wild cows. Shoot and pack out would be tough. No way I would round them up.

The King Ranch in Texas got it's start from rounding up wild cattle and branding them. Those cowboys were bad @$$. I brand calves every spring on the ranch my friend owns. I can not imagine branding those wild cows. Shoot and pack out would be tough. No way I would round them up.
That's why they're still there!