Trying to outshoot 7.62 X 39 with .223

I presume you're using a press mounted collet bullet puller. How much lot to lot variance are you seeing in the factory powder charges?
I have a big rubber hammer.

There is half a grain variance between the lightest and heaviest factory charges. 24.5 and 25 grains. I make sure the reloads are all exactly 24 grains.
IMG_5283.JPG

I've never heard of using a rubber hammer to remove seated bullets, though it might work well to break the bullets free from the cases to allow for them to be more easily removed by other means.

Do you use an ultra-sonic cleaner to remove the bullet sealant, or just a vibratory tumbler?

If all the ammo you've torn down is from the same lot, then the close variance makes sense.

So let me get this straight. You buy cheap ammo, beat it out with a mallet. And not follow any reloading practices. Then shoot off a bag with no rear rest and wonder why it wont shoot 1/2 moa? Special arent you

You've got it backwards. This is the process to make the 0.5 MOA 7.62x39 ammo. The CZ 223 Remington bolt gun is the one that won't perform as well as the 7.62x39 rifle.

Last edited:
Might want to check with your Gruberment official. I think you have till end of year before Justin buys them back from you.

Prohibition on assault-style firearms

As of May 1, 2020 the Government of Canada has prohibited over 1,500 models of assault-style firearms and certain components of some newly prohibited firearms (the upper receivers of M16, AR-10, AR-15, and M4 patterns of firearms). New maximum thresholds for muzzle energy (greater than 10,000 Joules) and bore diameter (20 mm bore or greater) are also in place. Any firearm that exceeds them is now prohibited. A Criminal Code amnesty period is currently in effect to October 30, 2025. The amnesty is designed to protect individuals or businesses who, at the time the prohibition came into force, were in lawful possession of a newly prohibited firearm from criminal liability while they take steps to comply with the law.

So let me get this straight. You buy cheap ammo, beat it out with a mallet. And not follow any reloading practices. Then shoot off a bag with no rear rest and wonder why it wont shoot 1/2 moa? Special arent you
Not at all, I'm wondering why it does shoot 1/2 MOA.

Might want to check with your Gruberment official. I think you have till end of year before Justin buys them back from you.

Prohibition on assault-style firearms

As of May 1, 2020 the Government of Canada has prohibited over 1,500 models of assault-style firearms and certain components of some newly prohibited firearms (the upper receivers of M16, AR-10, AR-15, and M4 patterns of firearms). New maximum thresholds for muzzle energy (greater than 10,000 Joules) and bore diameter (20 mm bore or greater) are also in place. Any firearm that exceeds them is now prohibited. A Criminal Code amnesty period is currently in effect to October 30, 2025. The amnesty is designed to protect individuals or businesses who, at the time the prohibition came into force, were in lawful possession of a newly prohibited firearm from criminal liability while they take steps to comply with the law.

Nobody cares about what the federal government says in any official document. They tried to confiscate guns already in PEI but nobody would comply so they gave up.
In any case I live in Saskatchewan where it's illegal for the feds to try to confiscate guns without first obtaining approval from the Sask government, and that ain't ever going to happen so they are donald ducked.

It is my understanding that Alberta and other provinces are enacting similar legislation to protect lawful gun owners.

Canadian manufacturers are still designing and building new semi autos and Canadian citizens are buying them.

Last edited:
You've got it backwards. This is the process to make the 0.5 MOA 7.62x39 ammo. The CZ 223 Remington bolt gun is the one that won't perform as well as the 7.62x39 rifle.
It's you who has it backwards, I already have 0.5 MOA 7.62x39 ammo.

What CZ 223 Remington bolt gun are you talking about ?

I've never heard of using a rubber hammer to remove seated bullets, though it might work well to break the bullets free from the cases to allow for them to be more easily removed by other means.

Do you use an ultra-sonic cleaner to remove the bullet sealant, or just a vibratory tumbler?

If all the ammo you've torn down is from the same lot, then the close variance makes sense.
I don't use any cleaner to remove the bullet sealant, it comes off in the fingers.

All the x 39 Chinese ammo seems to have the same powder charge variances.

It does not take long to separate the components, I comfortably remove 5 bullets a minute .

Last edited:
Oh, it's chambered in 5.56 NATO. You should be able to run up to around 27 grains of CFE 223 with the 69s, in search of an accuracy node. They'll be compressed loads at ~25 grains and above.

Does it have the 12.5" or 16.5" barrel?

Last edited:

Recent Posts