Titanium actions

I'm still on the fence with Ti and aluminum in actions. One of the main reasons is they have not passed the cost benefit analysis in my mind. I sometimes obsess over shaving weight in a rifle, but have found there better ways to approach the weight reduction. The only Ti I have splurged on is suppressors and brakes. I justified it by the concern with hanging weight on the end of the barrel. The suppressor was well worth it in my opinion. The brake after having it turned down to my barrel contour was waste of many $$$ for me.

I don't like ti but think they are okay to hold higher pressure with 473 based cases. I do have a bat bumblebee and a vampire. They hold pressure as well or better than my steel 700 clones. They also have a steel sleeve in the nose that acts as the tenon and lug abutment, so that's all steel. The steel insert in combination with the high strength 7075-T6 anodized aluminum is very stout.........its also very expensive. But there aren't many short actions on the market that will run a 3.150 coal. Bat makes two offerings capable.

My 6.5 prc is built on lone peak fuzion ti. It's dlc coated so it runs very smooth and I've never seen pressure lower than expected.

I wouldn't avoid using a ti action but I also wouldn't pay more for one. There's so many great lightweight ss actions available now.

I have a couple of 6.5PRC titanium actions which shoot lights out. However, I do get pressure signs, (bolt lift and ejector marks) with both of them, even with factory ammo. I have since acquired a 7PRC with a Bat Machine Vampire action, which has not shown a hint of pressure and also shoots lights out.

I own a Remington 700 Ti in 30-06 that I bought last summer. 5# 3 ounces w/o scope & mounts, with a 22" barrel!

The action was "sticky" feeling at the store, but I figured it needed some lube. Wrong. I've tried many lubes, cleaning, polishing the action using JB Bore paste on the bottom of the bolt logs (I did not turn the logs into the recesses). It's still sticky feeling.

I took it to a GS that formerly worked at Remington (I live 15 miles from the now closed Rem factory), he called a friend who formerly worked in the custom shop there & that guy said that Ti galls when in contact with the steel in the bolt. The guy said that was the reason Rem stopped building Ti actions.

Fast forward, I was at a different store recently & they had a 700 Ti in 270 & the action was as slick as 700 Ss actions I have; which are smoooooth! So, I don't know the answer // other than maybe a) living with it (I killed a good buck with it last fall); b) having the bolt coated with something as others have mentioned in earlier posts.

I also listen to the EXO podcast & the guy had a Defiance Ti action custom build in 7mm SAUM that shot well & had sticky issues. He sold it & built a defiance AnTi action for this exact problem. I've emailed him about his sticky issues & he solved it by selling it! I'm not selling unless I maybe buy that 270….

I own a Remington 700 Ti in 30-06 that I bought last summer. 5# 3 ounces w/o scope & mounts, with a 22" barrel!

The action was "sticky" feeling at the store, but I figured it needed some lube. Wrong. I've tried many lubes, cleaning, polishing the action using JB Bore paste on the bottom of the bolt logs (I did not turn the logs into the recesses). It's still sticky feeling.

I took it to a GS that formerly worked at Remington (I live 15 miles from the now closed Rem factory), he called a friend who formerly worked in the custom shop there & that guy said that Ti galls when in contact with the steel in the bolt. The guy said that was the reason Rem stopped building Ti actions.

Fast forward, I was at a different store recently & they had a 700 Ti in 270 & the action was as slick as 700 Ss actions I have; which are smoooooth! So, I don't know the answer // other than maybe a) living with it (I killed a good buck with it last fall); b) having the bolt coated with something as others have mentioned in earlier posts.

I also listen to the EXO podcast & the guy had a Defiance Ti action custom build in 7mm SAUM that shot well & had sticky issues. He sold it & built a defiance AnTi action for this exact problem. I've emailed him about his sticky issues & he solved it by selling it! I'm not selling unless I maybe buy that 270….
I wasn't aware that Defiance made a Ti action. I know there was rumors about one coming since Beck bought the company but nothing for sure. Maybe I am wrong.
I still won't buy a Ti action. Yet…..

I recently spoke with a big name rifle builder about chambering a barrel for my titanium action, and he went off on how inferior they are.

He said "Titanium has no place on a rifle especially actions, and they are potentially dangerous"
He will not work on them period.

I'm super curious if anyone else shares this opinion, and what evidence is out there to support this?
The guy was super rude and pushy with his views so I'm thinking he's full of it..
Sounds like you need to speak with a small name rifle builder that knows what they're talking about!

That's just it
I've been pouring through internet threads since talking with that guy, and while I found plenty of negative opinions about titanium actions.. There wasn't a shread of factual evidence to back any of it up.
If they're weak then why would reputable companies be building them?
Opinions highly resemble as##oles and everyone has one.

I greatly appreciate the follow up discussion. My intention was to build a 7PRC using the REM 700 Ti long action. Since I build rifles (07 FFL), I suppose I could periodically check the lug abutment dimensions. What interval should that be done? Every 50 rounds? 100 rounds?

My intention in bumping this thread was to get further discussion and 1st hand knowledge regarding the likelihood of an issue with using a .532 bolt face factory load like the PRCs with this titanium action.

I appreciate the responses.

My recollection from here in Remington Country is that they did build Model 700 Titanium's in 7mm & 300 SAUM. I don't think they were available for many years. I heard that the issue was with recoil in them being so light. Also keep in mind that these were hunting rifles, not high round count usage where likely the barrel outlasts the owner!

WOW this original Post is over 4 Years old.
A lot to be said on Titanium Metal.
There are differences on stress for metals like Aircraft or Submarines.
Then talking about the pressure from a controlled explosion in a rifle chamber and the Bolt/Action containing those multiple explosions over hundreds/thousands of times that will stress the metal.
I am sure that the manufactures have done many metallurgic tests before they even started to build a TI Action.
I worked with Titanium metals over 40 years ago at General Dynamics - Eletric Boat Division in Groton, CT. Different Stress Tests than used for a Firearm, but Russia was using Titanium in their Submarines at that time. SO it had to have good properties for pressure testing and use.
I would use a Titanium Action, but for the COST Factor. Weight per $ per OZ/Gram.
When I was a Mountain Climer, I would cut the tags out of clothes for weight savings (grains). Every grain/gram/once mattered when climbing at altitude.
Now hunting you try to get the lightest rig. But just think the savings of weight on a Titanium Action opposed to a Steel Action may be less than an extra cartridge for that rifle. Just think about that??????
Do hunters actually calculate grams and Onces when backpacking or walking on a hunt???
Most if not all hunters will have their rifle "Slung" on their whole hunt. How many will actually "Free Hold" the rifle without a rest of some sort? A tree, Tripod, Bi Pod, Prone & Bags.
THINK ABOUT IT!!!

My intention in bumping this thread was to get further discussion and 1st hand knowledge regarding the likelihood of an issue with using a .532 bolt face factory load like the PRCs with this titanium action.

I have had zero issues from 3 Borden titanium actions with said bolt face. Two SAUM cases and an 33 nosler. Outside of slight load adjustments after a few hundred rounds, accuracy has held tight. Guessing that is the best indicator!

This is good information. I've never evaluated a Borden. How do they compare (in terms of lug abutment design) to a 700 Ti?